[1.0.6] Noob Friendly Solo Magic-Find end game viable GOLDSLAMMER

[1.0.6] Noob Friendly Solo Magic-Find end game viable GOLDSLAMMER

Before I start I just want to say that I only started playing Domination when it first came out (3 months, 27 days ago), so I do not possess neckbeard wizard knowledge of this game. Please feed me constructive criticisms.

This build is partially based off NinjaArabStrategist's Marauder build, so credits to you man!

This build have been tested in: Domination League only
However I believe this build is survivable in hardcore as well.

The purpose of this build is to make an easy character that can solo all the way up to end game that can survive from anything, and in the process making tons of money through high IIQ/IIR. I leveled my marauder up from ground zero and now he's able to solo 78 maps. Overall this build is very easy to play and noob friendly.

Pros:
Easy to level, noob friendly
Solo viable (however grouping make experience more enjoyable)
Maps viable (can do all mods)
Highly survivable
Decent IIR/IIQ

Cons:
Kinda expensive for the full build
Not the best DPS out there

Basic Stats
17k DMG/7.8HP/246IIR 22IIQ Cull/3 Aura

Below are the current Offence/Defence screenshots
Spoiler

Skill Tree
Spoiler

This goes all the way up to lvl 89

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecFLQ48D8wUIBiRGS4ZhRo4GlUkqiXfJwsn7SmlMZ4yCTWSNug26TrhQT9GaUd-Sn1N404qUEdQUFHmVElXDVhjWK9Z81uvXz9gS2EhZKNlTWaeZ6Bqk2xGbmlybHKpdO12CHgNeu97jHzZhNmE74cph2qHdojxjM-QVZBskc6ZK57Nn8umV6ZkpzCnhKluqZSrxaxZrKq0L7XytkG53bvtvYG-p8APwBrG2MmY0iHSTdSP1e3ZYd0N42rnUudj7w7yL_JF8932SPe--tL8xf4K_o8=

Take/Grab the +Int/Dex nodes as needed, same goes with Endurance Charges (depends on if you're auto or manual casting Immortal Call).

Bandit Quests

Normal: Help Oak +40 HP
Cruel: Help Oak +18 Physical Damage
Merciless: Help Oak (+1 endurance) or Kill All (1 skill pt)

Leveling (Main Guide)
Spoiler

I'm going to be rather vague over the early (Normal and Cruel) parts of the game because there are plenty of guides out there that covers that. These guides below will be focusing on how to effectively make money in the difficult parts of the game - Merciless and End game.

This build utilizes physical damage from Two Handed Maces - we don't need elemental damages

The price listed in this guide can change over time. If not certain perfrom a price check on xyz.

Early Game
Spoiler

Overall you want to rush through normal and cruel as fast as you can so you can start making the big bucks through maps/piety runs.

One important thing to note here is Act I of the next difficulty is significantly easier and more rewarding than Act III of the current difficulty. Therefore the best way to tackle Act III is join public parties or spam global for help against certain bosses (Piety, Dominus) if you can't take them on yourself.

For the skill tree you should aim for Resolute Technique and grab everything along the way. Then proceed to get Unwavering Stance (you can avoid the path to reduced mana reservation till later). Then try to get Iron Reflex and get the nodes in between. For items aim for anything that give you extra life.

Normal

Act I: You can start by using Cleave or Sweep in the beginning all the way until you get good links on items. Then you can start adding in groundslam with support gems (Melee Physical Damage, life leech/life gained on hit, then Faster Attacks). Some uniques like Wonderlust, Redbeak, Limbsplit, and Goldrim make early game leveling much easier. One effective way to obtain these uniques is keep leveling until you get an alchemy or two, then spam trade channel for it (or you can beg in global, which works equally well).

Act II: Same as above, you should have no problem killing the Vaal Oversoul. Uniques like Wurm's Molt will help you sustain mana.

Act III: At this point the game should get a bit difficult. You want to make sure you have some decent resistances (50/77 if possible) and a decent weapon. Farm docks to gain some level if needed. For uniques try to get Geofri's Baptism as it will make your leveling experience much more pleasant. You can get Geofri's Baptism for about 1 chaos or equivalent (you should have at least made 1c by now).

Cruel

Act I: At this point resistances becomes important for your character, but luckily you can keep using Goldrim for +30-40% all res for only 1c. At this point the leveling will slow down and you might find yourself needing to grind up a level or two in certain areas to catch up (you suffer 5%/10% exp loss upon death in cruel, merciless). At this point you should also get Reduced Mana and run Hatred with it.

Act II: Some couple cheap uniques you want to start utilizing are - Goldwyrm (1-3c midroll) for extra increased Quantity, Slitherpinch (1c) for mana and hp leech (frees up Wurm's Belt for something better). Also you should start save up or start using the Cast When Damage Taken Gem (3-4c) with Decoy Totem (<=1c), Enduring Cry(<=1c), and Molten Shell(<=1c) at this point.

Act III: Dominus and Piety can be a pain to kill here, so utilize the Public Party to avoid unnecessary deaths. You should be using Immortal Call with Increased Duration if possible on your second Cast when Damage Taken. You want to keep one CwDT to be low level to constanly activate low level enduring cry and the other one high level to trigger high level Decoy Totem and Immortal Call. This could get expensive so (around 10c for all the skills gems) save up if you can (or get lucky and find an exalt).

Mid Game
Spoiler

Merciless

Once you have Iron Reflex, you can get the health nodes below the Duelist skilltree and Diamond Flesh if needed, then proceed up to the Scion health pool and proceed to get as many nodes as you can there, and get Sentinel if needed.

Act I: At this point you should really keep your eyes on the resistances, and try to max it if you can. You can take extra resistance nodes - there are a bunch next by Diamond and Skin (+15%+ each), +12% Diamond Flesh. If you find yourself underleveled you can farm on The Ledge.

Act II: At this point you should aim for a decent 2 handed mace to upgrade from Geofri's Baptism. You can easily get 350-390 physical dps two handed mace from poe.xyz for about 3-8c. You should also look for a decent chestpiece with 5 link so you can put in multistrike or faster attacks on your groundslam.

Act III: At this point chaos damage can really hurt you if you're not careful. There are two ways to mitigate chaos damage - chaos resistance on gears, or having a large HP pool. You should aim for at least -10% chaos resistance, but -20% would be alright if you have high life pool - at this point you should aim for around 3500 HP. Keep your eyes out for any rings (especially Amethyst Rings) that give you Chaos Resistance, Life, and increased rarity.

At this point of the game you should start to care about Increased Rarity and Quantity. Level 60+ areas drop some of the best uniques in the game.

There is no need to kill Dominus on Merciless at the moment unless you're compelled to be a completionist. However you do need to kill Piety to get the 2 skill points (so join a public party).

Late Game
Spoiler

For the skill tree go up from Resolute Technique and get all the health nodes up there. Lastly you can either take the route to Decreased Aura Cost, or the route to Amplify next to the Templar starting point.

In the late game people either farm Piety or maps to make money. In this guide I will be focusing on maps because personally I find Piety runs boring.

You should have a decent weapon (350dps or so), 5l chestpiece, two rings that give you decent chaos resistance, Slitherpinch or decent yellow gloves, Goldwyrm or decent yellow boots, and decent belt. By decent the item should provide sufficient armor (700+ on chest, 180+ on everything else except jewellery), good resistance (let's aim for double all res minimum, triple all res if possible), and decent life roll (60+ HP). Any Increased Rarity mods helps too.

Now it's time to grind these items: Reaper's Pursuit [10c], Divination Distillate [6-8ex], Marohi Erqi (5l) [8-10ex], Carnage Heart [20-30c] and eventually Kaom's Heart [21-25ex]

To be able to afford the expensive items we need to stack IIR, and make use of certain uniques like:

Goldwyrm
Aurseize
Reaper's Pursuit

Make sure you cull away yellows and unique mobs with Reaper's Pursuit with Item Rarity (and Quantity if in Standard) support gem. If you able to wear Aurseize and Goldwyrm with 20%+ IIR on Rings, Amulet and Helm, then your Reaper's Pursuit cull will yield to 200%IIR/30IIQ. Make sure your resistance are still capped. You can spend around 5c or so on poexyz for yellow gloves/helm/rings/amulet.

At this point onwards it's going to be a grindfest, so keep going through maps until you complete the build.

Eventually you will get enough money to buy Divination Distillate, so make sure you use the culling method I listed out towards the end of the guide.

When you start doing 72+ maps, you want to ditch items like Goldwyrm, Azurseize and Slitherpinch for better items that give you health and resistance.

Map Mods to Watch for
Spoiler

Technically you can do all map mods with this build, but it's better to avoid some of them to save yourself some headache.

Monsters fire x additional Projectiles - can be scary on certain map bosses
Area contains two Unique Bosses - can be scary on certain map bosses
Players are cursed with Elemental Weakness - can be scary without someone running purity
-x% maximum Player Resistances - can be scary when combined with extra elemental damage
Players have Blood Magic - you have to clear the map without running any auras, which can be a pain
Players cannot regenerate Life or Mana - can be a pain, especially with large health pool
Players are cursed with Temporal Chains - Temp chain just waste your time, avoid it

*Reflect maps should be ok because we have immortal call.

66-67
You can either do blue or yellow maps at this point
Dungeon - can be scary if not prepared for the boss. Make good use of Immortal Call.
Orchard - the unique boss can be scary

66-69
Museum - There are 3 bosses there, so lure one out at a time.
Overgrown Shrine - the unique boss can deal quite lot of dammage, use immortal call.

70-71
At this point you should try to alchemy all your maps. If the mods are too crazy then you can simply skip some of the unique bosses.
Temple - be wary of Piety, bring some lightning flasks

72-74
Jungle Valley - Be careful of the boss, avoid it if necessary
Torture Chamber - Be careful of the boss, bring lightning flasks
Maze - Oversoul isn't hard to take on with this build, but for god's sake do NOT facetank the smash. Groundslam is a medium distanced attack so take advantage of it.
Residence - Can be difficult without Kaom's Heart. Skip Dominus if necessary

75-76
From this point on forward you should proceed with at least Marohi Erqi 5l, eventually Kaom's Heart. It's good idea to party up in public parties and pay the host to run high level maps.
Academy - When fighting the boss utilize Grace for extra armour.
Crematorium - bring fire flask

77-78
Shrine - careful not roll -max elemental resistance or multiple projectiles. Otherwise a great map that yield amazing loot.
Shipyard - amazing map for looting, make sure you roll some pack size
Palace/Courtyard - make sure roll for pack size for good loot

Items
Spoiler

Skills
Spoiler

Weapon
4L: Ground Slam, Blood Magic, Melee Physical Damage, Concentrated Effect
5L: +Multistrike
6L: +Faster Attacks

Chest
Koam's Heart. If you don't have it then resort to use Heavy Strike as single target attack for higher DPS.

Helm
Lvl1 Cast when Damage Taken, lvl5 Enfeeble, lvl5 Enduring Cry, lvl 20 Increased Area of Effect

Gloves
Reduced Mana, and 3 auras (I prefer Hatred, Haste, and Vitality)

Boots
Lvl20 Cast When Damage Taken, lvl20 Decoy Totem, lvl20 Immortal Call, lvl20 Increased Duration

Reaper's Pursuit
Spectral Throw, Greater Multiple Projectiles, Blood Magic, Faster Attacks, Item Rarity (replaced faster attack with Item Quantity if in Standard)

Auras
Spoiler

You can run up to 3 auras at the same time (1 60% + 2 40% without snapshotting, 2 60% + 1 40% with snapshotting (Alpha's Howl))

I use

Hatred - more damage
Haste - Faster speed
Vitality - Powerful because of our high HP

Vitality can be replaced by Purity if needed (elemental weakness).

To snapshot, you take off your current helm, put on Alpha's Howl, activate your auras, and then put back on your helm.

Utilizing the Divination Distillate with Reaper's Pursuit
Spoiler

You can get the most out your cull by using your Divination Distillate with Reaper's Pursuit on certain enemies (group of blues, yellows, and unique mobs). You want to get the mob down to 10% hp and switch to your alternative weapon, then curse the enemy (use up some mana. can be substituted with any mana-using abilities), drink the Divination Distillate, and perform Spectral Throw on the enemy. Below is some screenshots

Killing the boss

Get it to 10% HP

Switch to Reaper's Pursuit, use some mana, drink Divination Distillate, cull, PROFIT

If you want you can also take the boss down to 10% hp, portal out, switch on MF items, portal back in, drink Divination Distillate, and cull the boss. Here's some items you can put on

FAQ
Spoiler

Q: Why is the armor so low?
A: You're pretty much immune from physical damage most of the time thanks to Immortal Call. The way it works is that you have two CwDTs (one is lvl1 other is lvl20), and the lvl1 will constantly activate Enduring Cry, which generates Endurances Charges, and then the lvl20 will activate and Immortal Call will be activated using the charges we got previously. When fighting against certain bosses that does physical spell damage to you (Academy Boss), turn on Grace.

Q: Your IIR/IIQ suck balls
A: Keep in mind the gear I have on at the moment can take down 78 rolled maps. While doing lower level areas I can replace my items with items such as

Q: Is blood magic necessary on the Groundslam?
A: Well if you have enough mana leech or regen you can probably take out the bloog magic and put in Added Fire Damage.

Q: You overcapped on life leech!
A: Yes 12% life leech is too much, I agree (9% is the cap for my HP pool). However to find good life leech on amulet and ring is quite difficult and will cost tons of money. I rather have IIR on items. Plus the -25% max life only really deduct around 500 HP from the total HP pool, so the tradeoff isn't so bad.

Last edited by BigBagBukkake on Feb 27, 2014, 8:54:25 PM
OMG THIS BUILD IS AMAZING. I partied with this guy and he took down 2 dominus on level 78 map by himself whene our whole party died. props to you man!
May RNG be with the newbs as they look for life+tri-resist+rarity gear and a Erqi.

As for others, very nice build :)
I have more battle scars than the number of hairs on your ass!
Time Zone: CST -6 (Texas)
Yeah, it's a nice build, but using that expensive gear hardly qualifies for 'noob friendly'...
As others have said, this build is nowhere close to being newb friendly with your gear costing ~100ex? Most newbs don't have 10c.

Also, you're royally screwing yourself over by using Carnage Heart. At your DPS levels, you'll be perfectly fine with 2% from blood drinker. At most, get another 1-2% from ammy or ring.
Lastly, you don't need that endurance charge life regen passive, and probably don't need the extra end charge either. IC goes off so often, that both of those are wasted.
"
j0zef wrote:
As others have said, this build is nowhere close to being newb friendly with your gear costing ~100ex? Most newbs don't have 10c.

Also, you're royally screwing yourself over by using Carnage Heart. At your DPS levels, you'll be perfectly fine with 2% from blood drinker. At most, get another 1-2% from ammy or ring.
Lastly, you don't need that endurance charge life regen passive, and probably don't need the extra end charge either. IC goes off so often, that both of those are wasted.

The guide is meant for noobs to AIM for the gears, but realistically I'll be updating this build with more leveling tips to get to where I am.

I need minimum of 6% Life leech for face tanking most bosses. 2-4% will get you killed in 77+ maps against any unique boss. I agree with the last part though, I do need to change it but there isn't any better nodes to take even if I take off the 2 node like you described). I will need at least to get to level 90 before I can spec off something nice. Also currently having more charges and regen from charge work quite well in groups, as less monsters are likely to attack you and you get IC longer.

Let me know if you disagree.
Last edited by BigBagBukkake on Feb 21, 2014, 11:45:19 AM
"
BigBagBukkake wrote:
"
j0zef wrote:

The guide is meant for noobs to AIM for the gears, but realistically I'll be updating this build with more leveling tips to get to where I am.

I need minimum of 6% Life leech for face tanking most bosses. 2-4% will get you killed in 77+ maps against any unique boss. I agree with the last part though, I do need to change it but there isn't any better nodes to take even if I take off the 2 node like you described). I will need at least to get to level 90 before I can spec off something nice. Also currently having more charges and regen from charge work quite well in groups, as less monsters are likely to attack you and you get IC longer.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk, but the difference between your guide and the original newbie friendly guide (that you gave credit to) is your gear. You have higher DPS than most GS maras and can afford to get IIR on your gear. I truly don't see any other difference.

Have you tried running with less leech, or hypothesizing? I have 12K DPS GS (without Hatred), and I've tried running with 2% from passive only.. didn't have much trouble. Did I run any 77-78 maps? No - I think it was some random 72.
You may be right in needing more leech since you have more HP than me. Leech is capped at 20% of your max life/sec.

However, another idea you can try is Blood rage. I used Carnage Heart early only as well - then had the idea of putting Blood Rage on the lowest CWDT.
It basically gives you the same leech as Carnage Heart for no cost. You'll probably gain ~1K HP from this.
"
j0zef wrote:
"
BigBagBukkake wrote:
"
j0zef wrote:

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk, but the difference between your guide and the original newbie friendly guide (that you gave credit to) is your gear. You have higher DPS than most GS maras and can afford to get IIR on your gear. I truly don't see any other difference.

Have you tried running with less leech, or hypothesizing? I have 12K DPS GS (without Hatred), and I've tried running with 2% from passive only.. didn't have much trouble. Did I run any 77-78 maps? No - I think it was some random 72.
You may be right in needing more leech since you have more HP than me. Leech is capped at 20% of your max life/sec.

However, another idea you can try is Blood rage. I used Carnage Heart early only as well - then had the idea of putting Blood Rage on the lowest CWDT.
It basically gives you the same leech as Carnage Heart for no cost. You'll probably gain ~1K HP from this.

Hey j0zef, no worries man. Like I said in the beginning of the build I welcome any criticisms and you're absolutely right - my build is based off that noob mara build. However the thing that ticked me off that build was that it doesn't follow into endgame, you have to figure out what you need to do to move ahead. I want this build to be used by people who followed that noob build, but after that not too sure how to advance 72+ maps. On top of that the original build cannot run any auras, as it's blood magic specced. The original didn't show how he would use Marohi Eqri either - having concentrated effect on groundslam is amazing.

As far as for the blood rage, I have tried that sadly and it actually decrease my survivability quite a lot. Having 12% chaos resistance is good enough for most part but it needs to be higher to scale well with blood rage. The degen from blood rage is just way too high, and my build is based on high HP and high regen. -25% max life isn't so bad, it only takes off around 500HP-600HP, and that's not too bad of a sacrifice for 12% life leech. You also need carnage heart for the +int/+dex. However like you said it is possible to replace carnage heart if you have 4%+ life leech on amulet, and 2% on ring.

The reason you need such high life leech is in most end game maps (Maze, Shrine, Academy, Courtyard, etc), you'll be fighting an unique boss that does quite a lot of damage and you need to leech fast off a single target.

Edit: again you're correct on 12% is too much life leech. It really caps at 10%. However it's difficult to get 10%, you will need 6% of amulet and 2% off one of the rings, and such top roll mods with life/resistance is just too hard to achieve. However when I have time I'll update the build with your suggestions.
Last edited by BigBagBukkake on Feb 21, 2014, 1:06:17 PM
amazing guide thanks!

question: how do you handle reflect maps?? ...You have no Vaal Pact so you must die instant to reflect.
"
hitreza wrote:
amazing guide thanks!

question: how do you handle reflect maps?? ...You have no Vaal Pact so you must die instant to reflect.

You can just play with gems for reflect maps remove some gems for leech gems

I don`t like the guide that much either, is not bad at all but is not noob friendly at all...

Tri ress with life and iir, 6l, koam, this kind of stuff isnt cheap at all.
Last edited by pelll on Feb 22, 2014, 7:36:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info