[1.1.x] Dominating Blow skill - passive tree, need feedback

Latest version:

108pt build for 1.1.x

I have played with DB blow before, but it was long time ago, pre-release, so the old build was scrapped.

This build takes some minion nodes that are within reach, RT and Unwavering, 45% skill duration increase, and many armour-boosting nodes, which should provide high armour with Determination.

Against physical dmg it can use 6 endurance charges -> Immortal Call CwTD with Inc. Duration.
Spells can be problematic due to low life, but they can be absorbed by minions.

To combat the mana costs, -25% skill mana cost from tree, and Duelist mana cluster - is this enough or not?

Also, what links should be used with DB?
DB + Inc. Duration + Multistrike + Melee Splash?
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on May 2, 2014, 5:23:51 PM
"

To combat the mana costs, -25% skill mana cost from tree, and Duelist mana cluster - is this enough or not?

Also, what links should be used with DB?
DB + Inc. Duration + Multistrike + Melee Splash?

Those links would make lvl-16 Dominating Blow cost about 190 mana per attack. Even with -25% mana cost nodes, it would still be around 140 mana, way over budget for your build. My Duelist is current running DB at 84 mana per attack, and that's pushing it, even with lvl-8 Clarity.

With DB, I think you have to choose between Multistrike or Melee Splash, it's too expensive to use both and you lose too much of your single target DPS. If you expect your minions to make most of your kills for you, I'd go with DB + Melee Splash + Increased Duration + Faster Attacks. That would cost about 120 mana per attack, or 90 mana with -25% mana cost.

In my case, I use DB for almost all killing blows, after softening up the mobs with AoE and poison attacks. What works best for me is DB + Multistrike + Melee Physical Damage + Culling Strike. With Cull I can time my finishing blows to occur after the mob's life bar is drained below 10%, and Multistrike automatically strikes as many times as it takes to make the kill.

In addition, I use a 5-link chest with a Reduced Mana gem on DB. That's far more efficient than putting skill points into Reduced Mana nodes, since it's only DB that requires mana reduction. I also run Grace + Clarity with a Reduced Mana gem, leaving 200 mana free out of a 640 max mana pool.
Last edited by RogueMage on Feb 11, 2014, 3:47:21 PM
Well not sure what you can dominate with no damage nodes taken on the tree unless you are going facebreaker, which is what I have going. I use DB as a distraction in groups, but can solo with it on low maps. The thing is, unless you get your dps to about 7-10k you are going to be struggling for recruits while getting attacked. More true in parties. Also increased duration was nerfed so it may not be all you remember from before. Level 18 is about 60% now.
"
raziekeljr wrote:
The thing is, unless you get your dps to about 7-10k you are going to be struggling for recruits while getting attacked.

My lvl-70 Duelist has about 2.5K DPS with DB at 5.5 APS. That's plenty along with Culling Strike. For bosses, I use Dual Strike with 4K DPS at 7.5 APS.
I always liked dominating blow but its simply cost way too much mana if you go beyond 4L so a soul taker is kinda recommended which is like what 40 ex?, way too pricey for the average joe to buy.

I hope GGG revises some of the skills in the future.
Closed Beta Member.
Isnt BM an option?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"
bo7like wrote:
Isnt BM an option?

The Keystone costs Auras (really good with so many dudes running around), the Support murders you and takes a slot.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 11, 2014, 6:10:10 PM
"
RogueMage wrote:
"
raziekeljr wrote:
The thing is, unless you get your dps to about 7-10k you are going to be struggling for recruits while getting attacked.

My lvl-70 Duelist has about 2.5K DPS with DB at 5.5 APS. That's plenty along with Culling Strike. For bosses, I use Dual Strike with 4K DPS at 7.5 APS.

Yes that works for you but look at OP build there is no weapon damage taken at all so that was the reason for my statement. Unless there is a secret to the formula he suggests, it doesn't seem reasonable because those bad mobs come fast if yours are dying. I do 9k on DB with only MS and Melee Phys and in level 70 + maps their health on blues can be a challenge. In groups where mobs have more health I should say. But my main right now is IB and cyclone so ymmv.
Last edited by raziekeljr on Feb 11, 2014, 7:49:37 PM
So what about Facebreakers? What is the expected damage?
I have legacy ones, with close to max roll, how much damage will they do with Meginord + phys dmg jewelry now?

About getting attacked - can't you just summon zombies? They will get most of the attention.
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
You can easily hit 20k damage with legacy facebreakers and a 6-link with one link using Blood Magic. I'm on 12k but that's because I'm also using IIR and IIQ gems; whenever I join a game with a culler I kick it up a notch and throw in multistrike and AOE (not many other blue gems that apply).

Mana/health cost can be an issue early on, when I started my build I spent a good five points into reduced cost nodes, which helped a LOT. You also have increased duration taking up a slot until the base duration without the gem starts to hit around 50 seconds. At that point I don't really need increased duration.

I noticed you are putting points into minion health. I really don't bother with that at all. If anything, you should put points into damage, but even that is just bonus fun points.

Anyway, here's my tree:

and here's my gear:
Spoiler

At the point I'm at right now, I can basically take on any level of challenge this game has to offer. If my character can't handle it, I send in the minions. Sometimes it takes a few waves of minions but eventually I can take down even the toughest bosses.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info