Season Six, Event 138: 1 Week Domination

I don't understand why this has the same points/reward as the 1 week Nem race. Or that they award Void / Mings to begin with on a no life race.
"
SixMW wrote:
according to the main events page, it says "There will be two one week races, a Nemesis homed race that is hardcore, and a Domination homed non-hardcore race". So yes, its non-hard core.

I don't really know how I feel about a non-hardcore 1 week race. I think it takes the competitive nature out of the 1 week races. Pushing progress as fast as possible and doing maps without res caps just to out xp the other guy. Now you just kind of wing it and dying doesnt matter until youre 80+ because you can make up the lost ground in a few minutes. By 80+ then your gear is good enough to survive most of the maps you do.

Maybe just one racers opinion but it feels very unlike GGG to do a non-hardcore race.

On the other hand, it's a fun race that is going to allow people who care about points and mostly play hardcore (I assume a large portion of people who race often are this) to make a fun build they haven't have the chance to try and still earn points.

I really like the idea of a non-hardcore race, for the reason you mentioned above about testing new builds, and also for casual players who just want some of the lower-level prizes. Not all of us have the schedules to participate so competitively, and newer players who have not yet mastered the mechanics of the game may also die too frequently or progress too slowly to have a realistic shot at any points. I do think that in the spirit of racing, Hardcore is kind of necessary, as "staying alive by the end of the race" is a very solid goal and finish line distinction. But I like the idea of both a Hardcore and Softcore week-long race so that casual folks can at least have a shot at some of the easier prizes. Casual players play less frequently, so they have fewer unique items and/or currency to trade for them. Racing for uniques is a fun alternative way to obtain them.

I'm somewhere in the middle... I have intermediate skills and understanding of the game. I have improved each race season, but the first few race seasons were very difficult to get into as a new player. I still don't know how some racers get to Sarn in a 1 hour solo, though. I am very impressed. I get nervous going up against Merveil...
"
MackBesmirch wrote:
I'm somewhere in the middle... I have intermediate skills and understanding of the game. I have improved each race season, but the first few race seasons were very difficult to get into as a new player. I still don't know how some racers get to Sarn in a 1 hour solo, though. I am very impressed. I get nervous going up against Merveil...

Makes two of us. There are some serious wizards playing this game (meant respectfully), and I'd love to know how they do it.
"People ask me why I do this at my age. People are rude."
Can you access any of your normal stash during a long race? I would assume not, but just in case....
"
Gruentod wrote:
"
MackBesmirch wrote:

Makes two of us. There are some serious wizards playing this game (meant respectfully), and I'd love to know how they do it.

The first racing season people reached level 34 in 3 hour party races.

The second season people hit 38-39.

Now they hit 44.

Everybody started out at a ground level, and they slowly got better and better. Some people started with faster times than others, but it all comes down to practise in the end.

There are 3 key components to racing:
Knowing when to progress and when to fight
Knowing Map Layouts
Inventory and Equipment Management

If you master all 3 you'll be at the top of the ladder :)

ign:mptyspace
Last edited by mptyspace on Feb 8, 2014, 7:12:41 AM
If it isn't HC then I'll probably sit it out. And that's coming from someone that plays Doms 80% Nems 20%.

Love the week race format. But non-HC? Meh.
BLAMT!
I like this Race.

PoE has elements that work better in a non hardcore setting.

The lack of smooth difficulty progression since the act 3 expansion is only a minor issue.
Reduced incentive to get past the spikes by buying help with currency or overleveling.
Elemental damage mitigation mechanics reduce diversity of itemisation with a hardcore ruleset.

The xp penalty is a sufficent death deterrent and progress differentiation in a one week setting.

The plain fun of a different risk/reward balance.

This is your chance to try out that flameblast crit spec fellas, go for it.
"
AppleEater wrote:
Welp time to win another demi. Not sure if this one can be transferred to a Hardcore League or not but idgaf.

Any reward can be taken out in any league.
"
Osstinthax wrote:
Can you access any of your normal stash during a long race? I would assume not, but just in case....

Definitely not. No one can get any advantage from their SC, HC or 4 month league stash. Only chars made in the same race have access to the same stash.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info