[1.2] Oldschool, cheap and noobfriendly "Sword&Board" Marauder

Hi, just came in to say that i have tried this build, and so far i'm loving it! What i wanted was a marauder build that felt like a gladiator and still packed a punch and this is it.

I'm lvl 70 right now and i DID die a ton of times, but i didn't care about maxing resists or playing carefully at all until i was in A3 Merc.
When i reached 70, though, i improved my equips a little and i can farm dominus and facetank the whole fight. I don't even evade anything he throws at me, i just stand there and attack non-stop.

This is my gear:

I got a Daresso's because the spell block on low life is what lets me facetank Dominus. The other shield is for situations where i might need the extra armor and life. The sword can be better, but it has ~250 dps and only cost me around 10 chaos :)
The neclace sucks, i just have it as a placeholder.
So far, i have 3.2k hp and 13k damage with hatred, which is reeeally far from optimal, but surprisingly i feel tanky enough like this. I also have to work on proper links and colors, when i have enough chromes.
I'm also considering Aurseize to increase MF by a little, when i get a mana leech amulet to substitute my gloves.

Anyway, i'm loving this char, thanks for the build!
Last edited by Rynphos on Jul 5, 2014, 11:21:34 PM
so, ambush is over
i started in ambush with this build and it took me to lvl82
it was quite easy to play and gear, first i bought a good sword, later BoR and after that for more dps meginords girdle

i have 15.8k tooltip dps with reave
with hatred 21.2k tooltip dps
i think thats quite nice for having 2 "expensive" items to get
also i have 4.6k life

here my gear
Spoiler

edit:the build is finished at lvl85, so if u take it further u can get more dps and life
Last edited by MrZimz on Jul 6, 2014, 4:54:03 AM
While we're posting our gear, my humble no-BoR setup:

Spoiler

I always run Hatred, giving mere 10k DPS Reave but seems to be enough. More with Haste (can't remember how much more).

Run either Determination / Haste alongside Hatred as required, although I've been wanting to give Grace a shot since off-screen projectile damage is annoying as hell when you're stuck "blending" a big mob for the leech.

3.9k life, 40% phys block and 40% spell block due to Rainbowstride + Lazhwar amulet - this combo is the most balanced, but for high phys vs elemental maps I'll swap out Lazhwar for something with IIR + life.

Timezone: GMT +10 (Australia). CASUAL player but I play whenever I can.
"
Rynphos wrote:
I got a Daresso's because the spell block on low life is what lets me facetank Dominus.

How do you maintain low life in this situation?
"
systemdown wrote:
"
Rynphos wrote:
I got a Daresso's because the spell block on low life is what lets me facetank Dominus.

How do you maintain low life in this situation?

My goal was not to maintain low life, but to increase survivability by a lot against spells IF i get low life.
Against Dominus' lightning channeled attack, it lets me facetank it, basically leeching through it when it gets me low enough to the point it almost does no damage. That plus capped resist and a topaz flask is wonderful.
So you can't use armor when BoR is equipped, but I see some marauders that have BoR equipped and have armor on, what's up with that?
"
Rynphos wrote:
My goal was not to maintain low life, but to increase survivability by a lot against spells IF i get low life.

Ah gotcha, thanks. That's a really good tip. I want to try it out now!

"
anvilgod wrote:
So you can't use armor when BoR is equipped, but I see some marauders that have BoR equipped and have armor on, what's up with that?

You can still WEAR chest armor with BoR but its stats don't get used. Gems in chest armor will still gain experience however so definitely worth wearing a chest with BoR for that reason.
Bare chested Mara looks like a gladiator though ;S
Hi,

I've got some EQ recently, but I'm aware that I need better jewelry and boots/gloves, so can you give me some recommendations?

My defence tab is really poor, but regarding the DPS, it looks fine to me for now (currently lvl 76).

Current EQ:

Offence:

Defence:

Hatred and Determination are active in those pics.
Last edited by anvilgod on Jul 9, 2014, 6:21:56 AM
Should be pretty obvious:

Armor pieces: Life, double/triple resists.
Jewelry: Life, resists, physical damage.
And you'll need additional Int to use Conc Effect somewhere on the jewelry.

Your boots are fine, the rest can definetly be swapped for something with higher value.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info