[1.2] Oldschool, cheap and noobfriendly "Sword&Board" Marauder

Can this build be modified to run Infernal Blow or Ground Slam? What are the pros and cons of Reave versus these other abilities?
you can go whit infernal blow on this build, but is best used on 2h spec unless you have acces to uber gear

for groundslam there are other builds specialized on that, but this could also work, yet again, is best used on a 2h spec.

pros of reave:

really nice effect, imposible to go epileptic, unlike discharge or flicker strike (no offense there) and good AoE even whit conc. effect support.

good damage (double strike + melee splash maybe does more dps, but you must cleave trought packs or jump in to hit rares or uniques mobs) and works fine against both packs and rares, just build your charges and hit everything in front of you.

Sword + Shield does look cool if your a classics lover.

easy to avoid reflect packs, melee splash gem tends to be problematic (i myself died several times because the splash damage hits an entire pack instead of the mob i was trying to kill =(

cons:

you must build charges to max AoE effect (although that´s no real problem whit high attack speed.

it has lower dps than similar skills

don´t know what else to put in here.

really, your free to try out amything you whant and this build is really flexible in that matter, go in and test your self and find out what you like and what you dislike
"
Can this build be modified to run Infernal Blow

Sure. Just use another skill and maybe skill into a bit of %elemental/fire damage.
Like the 30% fire damage next to the 2% lifeleech.

However, I'm not a huge fan of these skills that convert physical->elemental.
You are losing a ton of killspeed against resistant mobs, and the pool of shitty map mods gets bigger: "monsters have 75% fire resist", "players have elemental equilibrium"...
You can ignore these mods with a physical build.

"
or Ground Slam?

...you'd obviously have to get rid of sword nodes and go for mace nodes.

And I'm not sure if the pathing of my tree supports this at all (I run past every sword node, but don't give a shit where mace nodes are).
I'm also not too sure if 1h mace does well enough with GS.

Why would you ask such things anyway?
First: how should I know? ;-)
Second: why don't you check one of the many Infernal Blow/Groundslam guides?

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Just like to put in some feedback from running this build through Normal difficulty.

I was looking round some melee builds, and stumbled upon reave builds for Duelist and this one for Marauder. Duelist build used Blood Dance which I don't have, and this build could make good use of Crest of Perandus, which I do have. Also I do wanna make a blender in the future.

Up until 19, it was a little rough. my damage was lacking all over (I used a Redbeak till roughly 33). Multistrike is a huge boost to everything, mana management, damage, and survivability.

This build has so far only died twice. Once at about 12 where I stumbled into something a bit silly. Second was at Dominus. Usually Reave's AoE would kill his Searing Bond totems, but one time it didn't at it slowly took my life down. I was paying much attention as I was just holding onto right-click. :D

Whilst exp farming at Docks (stopped 35) I picked up every 1h sword in hopes of finding something useful to replace Redbeak. I found this:

I must have sold the 1h sword I found at docks. But here's what I'm currently using. It's surprising just how much your character can change from finding a better weapon. It doesn't just increase damage. It also saves mana because of less attacks needed, it regens more life/mana withx% regen stats, and makes you enjoy the character much more.

When I got to Piety, I opened a room for Piety kill, when I opened I decided to try my luck with solo. She died before anyone joined. Same with Dominus, only I didn't open a room for him. Everything went down just as fast.

Really looking forward to continuing with this character through cruel>merc>maps. For reference, here's my current gear.

For passive progression, I beelined Resolute Technique, then rushed to Golem's Blood. Now I'm fleshing out a little bit of Duelist area and some of the Sword damage/speed nodes.
Tree at 41
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecFLRpVIWAkmzQ1Nug9_ECgU99XDVhjWNtfP2BLYSFko25pcql07XrvfNmAioTZhO-LT4zPkHSRzpuDns2gtKcwu-2-p8APwQfG2Mzb0iHSTdd-5FHnrvMG9kj3MvdN-6o=

I'll provide updates after cruel if people like. It wont be as lengthy as this, heh.

Oh also, if anyone has a BoR to trade, and wouldn't mind a 1:1 trade for an Alpha's Howl
Kind of a long shot deal for me, but who knows.
Nice job killing good old Dominus... ;)

How about putting 3-4 chroms on your chest and adding blood magic gem to reave?

And you should really be able to get a way better sword for 1-2 chaos.

Done, also just got these boots as a drop. Stat-wise I think they're pretty equal to my old. Using them for RRRG. :) Also found out how to calculate DPS after your last post, my current sword has 52 pDPS. Seen some swords on poe.xyz with up to 136 pDPS. Gonna see about grabbing one of those.

UPDATE:

PM'd some people about their swords. Some couldn't find their items, refreshed poe.xyz and PM'd the guy with second best sword there. He doesn't do standard anymore so gave it to me for free, along with a couple currencies/gems like BM/FAttacks/GCP/Chromes. I lucked out there. =D

152.4pDPS Probably gonna carry me a decent way.

DPS on Reave went from 795 to 1881. Good god. =O
Last edited by sam6555 on Mar 17, 2014, 2:54:37 PM
"
sam6555 wrote:

DPS on Reave went from 795 to 1881. Good god. =O

See what I mean? Always upgrade.
Now go oneshooting some monsters... ;)
Little update, i´m doing lvl43 right now and whit some trading and good luck on drops i got into ac1 cruel, reaching merveil and going whit 850+ dps on reave/melee phys damage/ added fire/lifeleech reaching 950+ whit 3 frenzy charges (requires lot of micro but is wort it)and cap resistance (only -8 in chaos) and just destroyed the first unique in caverns of wrath... literally it didn´t do any damage AT ALL to me, got a cheap stone of lazhwar and working from there is an amazing defensive build whit really good dps.

BTW i haven´t taken any of the weapon specific damage nodes, onli the "strong arm" node in marauder area and is going great.

ty vm to peterlerock for the build, this thing is just amazing, i´ve clear every corrupted area so far, exept for the boss "inti of the blood something" that just regenerated to fast, got next to no problem.

that is my weapon, cost me 4 chaos but bump my dps in over 150 compared to the old one =)
When I go for a 5l chest piece. I'm not sure which colours I wanna get...

Reave
Multistrike
Melee Physical Damage
Faster Attacks

Making RRRG, just unsure of what I want for my 5th link. Think I gotta decide between BM or Conc. BM is kinda useful, allows me to use both my auras which with my current RM level take 49%, also my innate health regen covers the cost of using Reave on recharge. However, you suggest Conc as the 5th link, as I've never used it I'm not sure what to expect. You mention it's the biggest DPS increase for Reave.

Thoughts?
Have you also considered running blood rage? With marauder's natural life regen, it seems like a good trade-off to get more life and attack speed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info