Dying Breath 1.0.6 Unique

"
Lezli wrote:
@Sidtherat
Well, summoners tend to use curses/aura's more heavily than other archetypes, so although it's not a summoner specific item, it fits the theme and would likely be used by those characters the most.

what summoner would use this staff over:

or even:

+ necro aegis?

aura radius is irrelevant, curse radius is irrelevant, curse efficiency is irrelevant (Due to HEAVILY reduced curse effect on bosses), 18% increased dmg.. if someone does already 150%inc dmg it means little to him

and on the other hand you loose shield slot, necro aegis slot. due to that you cannot use all res shield to boost your minions weakest spot (Ele resistances) and have to use purity. this means one less offensive aura etc etc

i dont know what is the 'theoretica' summoner in poe, but i know that for a summoner i play this staff does not belong. bonus is so miniscule for a high direct drawback and enormous indirect drawback (no shield)
Well its only "increased damage taken" not MORE so it might be usable for some build.
18% increased damage taken is like 2-3life nodes and you counter it theoretically.
Since Leer Cast stacks with other Leer Casts equipped by party members, if you had, say, three supports equipped with this you get:

54% Increased Effect of Curses on Enemies
54% Increased Damage by Allies

Assuming that instead of three supports you had two summoners with Leer Cast, you get

36% Increased Effect of Curses
66% Increased Damage by Allies

Remember that the summoners can diversify.
First summoner masses meatshield summons (zombies+skeletotem) and spams the skill that grants block and generates corpses.
Second summoner masses ranged damage summons (mass spectre+new fire skull summons), then corpse generation and hasted minions, along with the occasional Detonate Dead.
Both summoners mass auras, both summoners coordinate curses.

This would be a godsend for Party races.
@Sidtherat
One that isn't level 68 yet. One that doesn't have exalts to spend on a character that can do well without such expensive gear. I understand where you're coming from, but I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.
I don't mind getting side tracked and having a long discussion on other items that impact the worth of my unique, so I'll do my best to respond. ^^
I'm not sure why you'd use Matua Tapuna with Necro Aegis, and give up 10% bonus effect of aura's on yourself. The defensive value of Necromantic Aegis (for your minions ofcourse) is unnecessary early on, and in some cases, redundant later on, although it IS a VERY powerful option.
Without Necro Aegis, the defensive value of Matua Tapuna for yourself is almost nonexistant, and the +2 gem minion levels in exchange for a support gem (3L instead of 4L) ends up being an even tradeoff.
As for these next ones, if my unique were used all the way up to the point where these items were available options, that would be fine with me. ^^
Mon's Grasp is a great item, and I love it, but is for a zombie oriented summoner, and the easiest end game option for summoners (to actually quickly clear maps with as little danger as possible) is to invest into spectres (6L, skills that support w/e the spectres do), not zombies. It's also rather pricey and requires level 68.
Lioneye's Remorse is a great shield, but minions (especially zombies) have high base life, no base bonus block recovery, and no armor modifiers, so although all the stats on it are great, it's going to make a small difference as far as keeping your minions alive goes. It's also rather pricey and requires level 70.
Midnight Bargain... is amazing. Although it hits your survivability pretty hard, the bonuses it gives are great, and lets you use a shield which balances the hit to survivability a bit. It's a bit pricey though, and has to be built around, which indirectly makes it even more pricey.
I'm not sure why you'd use Saffell's Frame with Necromantic Aegis, as you'd need to have at least 57 all resist on your minions from other sources for the bonus to max resists to do anything, and only caster spectres would benefit from the damage, which isn't huge since it's an additive multiplier.

The best way to get DPS as a summoner is with spectres, which benefit very little from the three elemental damage aura's, so I don't feel that being able to switch out Purity (and needing better gear yourself to cap resists) is a reasonable option for most summoners. I could be totally wrong though, I'm completely open to that possibility. XD

If you're trying to say "This staff isn't a 70+ map option." I won't argue. That was never the intent when designing it.

@Sachiru
I think you just found a possible reason as to why the value's had to be so low. I'm not sure myself whether the effect stacks or not, but if it does, that could be pretty broken.
In-Game-Name: Lezli
Last edited by Lezli on Jan 28, 2014, 2:43:01 AM
but you will see it get used in HC. some players will find a way to utilize it I am sure.
not a trash.
"
Lezli wrote:

@Sachiru
I think you just found a possible reason as to why the value's had to be so low. I'm not sure myself whether the effect stacks or not, but if it does, that could be pretty broken.

It should. Leer Cast does.

Party of summoners for 1 week races? If you can manage to overcome the visual clutter of a fuckton of minions (or do the smart thing and have only two guys use minions, the others spam the corpse generation skill and Detonate Dead), imagine the benefits.

Not sure if Auras from items affect totems, but if you have 6 guys with Leer Cast and this staff, along with Detonate Dead, manual cast and the corpse generation totem (not dual, just totem), that's...

196% increased damage dealt by Allies.

Given that Detonate Dead deals 18% of corpse life as fire, with an unlinked DD (no Conc. Effect, no Trap, just an unlinked DD), you're exploding the equivalent of 53.28% of corpse life.

Now, four persons consistently exploding for 50% of corpse life at the very least, with two persons generating enough summons to facetank anything.....

EDIT: Oh, lest I forget, you also all have 108% increased Curse effect for the entire party.

Enjoy having a single cast of Temporal Chains make enemies 90% slower, and debuffs last 100% longer.
Vulnerability for 80% increased DoT damage, and since you're summoners, you already pretty much have Burning Miscreations?
Elemental Weakness for -98% Elemental Resistance?
Punishment for 78% Physical Reflect from Bosses?

Yeah.
Last edited by Sachiru on Jan 28, 2014, 2:53:21 AM
well. summoners that are 68 are pretty rare breed indeed as leveling a pure summoner is currently as fun as having a flu. hopefuly this changes. if you arent absolutelly hellbent on playing pure aummoner youll spectral throw into late 40s

items i listed have drawbacks sure but:
i got into 82 with zombies (no cod no snapshooting no free auras exploit) and that was easy. just because zombies with necro aegis and good shield (lioneyes) dont die. maxed resists plus high armor plus extra life == no stuns. i use end ch on melee stun for zombies and that extra phys dmg reductio makes a difference. and 3 bm with inc burning dmg or broken evangelists with inc duration are effective no matter how you link them:)

if you are a sub 68 summoner there are two 2h that actualy have real benefits for summoners: queens decree (that i have 5linked and maybe will use it someday) and chobber that have that all important life boost for minions.

and yes,i think that necro aegis is needed end game. people not using it complain that minions are squishy etc. +life/all res/armor(or eva!)shield works wonders.

as for auras: haste is very good for minions dps wise (movement speed plus attack speed makes attacking much much easier. it removes the 'melee piety' syndrome:if you run fast enough she although faster will never hit you)
detonate dead (if nothing had changed) uses base life value. not 6man party value. idk if it is so now but i remember it being the case.

and while some curses might be indeed good the punnishment exanple is realy realy bad..

anyway. if it stacks a d if you can find a 6man party that is so organized (and dont rip instantly due to that 18% inc dmg) i think similar party with pretty much any other build would be as effective
Lezli and Rory fancied to make useless unique and after tremendous work they accomplished this task with great success. Congratulations!
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
I hope it will give a lot alt/alchemy shards when we vendor it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info