Do you think PoE needs a "Loot 2.0" overhaul?

My problem with loot at high levels is that there are too many requirements. It's not enough that you get a drop with good stats. You then have to invest currency in getting the right number of sockets, the right links between sockets, and the right color sockets.

The items with a max of 4 sockets aren't too bad, though bad streaks of RNG can be frustrating and expensive. With 2h / bow / chest armor, though, it's just ridiculous. I'm not even talking about getting 6L. I'm talking about trying for a 5L without gimping my character.

I have a bow sitting in my stash that would be a definite upgrade - except for the fact that it dropped with one socket. Ideally I'd like a 5L on it. I've spent about 200 jewelers on it so far (I know, that's not a lot, but I'm poor) and you know how many sockets it has now? STILL ONE SOCKET. Several times across those 200 jewelers I got 4 sockets, but never 5 and obviously not 6. It's incredibly frustrating to burn through so much currency (and time) and actually be WORSE off than before.

To be honest it's probably not even worth trying to 5L, but after farming for about 40 hours, it's the best bow I've seen drop.

My current bow has 6 sockets but only a 4L. It would be nice if while trying to finish up my "bow in waiting" I could use some fuses on it to try for a 5L. But I dare not risk it, because I could absolutely end up with only a 3L on my current bow, and that would render it effectively useless compared to what it is now.

I'm not asking to be handed 6L gear, but JFC, why should I have to get ripped off by people in trade just to get decent gear? I quit playing D3 because I felt like I had to use the AH to progress. I'm starting to feel like I have to trade to progress in PoE, and I'm about done with it.
Last edited by Eight88 on Jan 24, 2014, 5:59:53 PM
"
tienbasse wrote:
Rather than fixing loot (which I don't think is particularly bad), they should just focus on Crafting 2.0 and Resync 2.0...

+1

...but I think loot still sucks too.
Crafting doesn't exist in POE. Gambling does...and the house always wins.

Velocireptile - I LOL'ed. Which made me fart. I wish the office were empty right now :(

Hardlicker - I had to push the dog out of the way so I could get to the sexy quilt.
I've said it once and I'll say it again because I firmly believe this to be true: Drops don't need to be increased in quantity or power but magic and rare itemization is boring as hell and they shouldn't make the only interesting items be uniques and if they insist on that they have to increase their drop rate. Not because I want uber FotM unique A or B (herp) but because I'm bored with the rote 'choices' non-unique gearing offers. And color me old fashioned but part of the fun of an arpg is interesting lootz.
I would say no

Loot is great in this game. Alot of folks simply do not understand what makes a good item in POE. All players can pick out a great item no problem but thare are many things that make a item usefull in POE.

If anything should be improved i would like to see more item diversity in high end gear , however this is very hard since the stats most players will gravatate towawards will be very similar no matter what they do .

Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
"
deshaboo wrote:
D3 took the "we wanna hit the 12 years old console players demographic" route,so no i dont think we should follow that example,easy mode loot would only ruin the little challenge this game has left.

This. PoE has nothing to learn from D3, and surely not from loot 2.0/RoS aka "we make this already nerfed to the ground faceroll BS even easier so your baby can beat Diablo while crying in front of Kinect".
IGN : @Morgoth
I'm not so sure we need an overhaul - just a few tweaks would solve just about everything. My personal suggestions:

1) Make running maps more meaningful. Simple fix, restrict map drops to -3. Restrict unique drops to (insert negative number - eg. -3). Just getting decent maps and meaningful uniques solves my map issues. Perhaps re-tune some end bosses.

2) Add some sort of accumulated bonus to items that you have spent lots of currency trying to link. I.E. increase the chance to 6 link by 1% every 100 used. This still keeps the rareness intact but gives "hope".

3) I'm guessing this will not be popular - limit the magic find of cullers - and I'll throw out a number out of my xxx, to 200%. And adjust to boss run rewards downwards- I still don't get why GGG increased the "piñata" bosses when they could have stimulated folks to run maps.

There you go. Oh, and put some sort of AH in this game!!! Do the above (and sideways) and we are good to go.
Last edited by MrWonderful99 on Jan 24, 2014, 8:29:04 PM
Yes.

As someone who plays solo most the time and melee based character, i think loot needs to be redone.

Melee characters, specifically 2H builds, cant stack anywhere near as much Magic Find as other builds. Theyre far too reliant on having mods thatre actually useful.

Its not fair that a summoner or sporker, or any other build that requires practically zero thought or effort to use, can stack 150+ Magic Finding stats and not even be affected by the stat losses.

I love this game, i play it quite a bit, but when im farming maps for days and hardly getting orbs, rares, or uniques, it really gets old.

The worst part about it is, when you do find something, its generally useless and thats the sort of gear gating that causes you to be unable to progress to higher maps (which is another issue since there are map only uniques that require you to play certain maps for a drop).
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"

Others have said it and I concur: we need crafting 2.0. This would alleviate the unfair weight placed on finding good drops/currency we currently have post level 60. More control over the crafting=less reliance on the RNG. Vendor recipes should be the key to this.

+1

More deterministic crafting (recipes) = greater player agency.
"
tienbasse wrote:
Rather than fixing loot (which I don't think is particularly bad), they should just focus on Crafting 2.0 and Resync 2.0...

Forget about crafting 2.0

Gamblecrafting in PoE is so bad it needs to skip one version and go straight to 3.0, but since first major releases are full of bugs, lets make it a revison: 3.1

Crafting 3.1 plox!!
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
I personally would rather see Quantity and Rarity removed from the game entirely and have the drop rates for everything else slightly increased to compensate.

I never did like the idea of having "MF gear", it just don't sit well with me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info