What builds are actually better off not starting from the Scion?

What about this Laz's build I am currently using? http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/626834/page/1
Direct passive tree link

Is it possible to make it better as scion?
"
tinko92 wrote:
"
Invalesco wrote:
If you're a shadow or a witch, you can't access the circle of life but a scion always will.

I've played a life based tank witch, accessed life circle, so I'm asking you... what?

You were not a caster then. Also, show build please.

"
phoenix4dota wrote:
What about this Laz's build I am currently using? http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/626834/page/1
Direct passive tree link

Is it possible to make it better as scion?

Nope, that would be marginally better as a witch or even shadow, because:
1. It's a CI build not a life-based build
2. The %incr. max ES in the build is not high enough to make branching into the ES circle more worth it.
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
"
Invalesco wrote:
"
tinko92 wrote:
"
Invalesco wrote:
If you're a shadow or a witch, you can't access the circle of life but a scion always will.

I've played a life based tank witch, accessed life circle, so I'm asking you... what?

You were not a caster then. Also, show build please.

Does it matter if I hold a wand or a sword in order to reach the life circle? Or if I use Cyclone or Freezing Pulse?

Tree

It's a 3 months old character where I was experimenting with Aegis Aurora.

You see, I've even took a long road to the circle, level 79 character, so I guess a Shadow can reach it too, like everyone else.
"
tinko92 wrote:
Does it matter if I hold a wand or a sword in order to reach the life circle? Or if I use Cyclone or Freezing Pulse?

Tree

It's a 3 months old character where I was experimenting with Aegis Aurora.

You see, I've even took a long road to the circle, level 79 character, so I guess a Shadow can reach it too, like everyone else.

Yes it matters. This is because the Scion's starting area for casters (mana regen, spell damage, cast speed) + its notables (Shaper, Path of the Savant, Harrier) are terribly strong. Its attack-based notables aren't that much.

Either way, you're better off as a scion.

Edit: better.
Build of the Week 14
Last edited by Invalesco on Jan 25, 2014, 9:41:45 AM
The issue was reaching the circle.

The mana nodes are the same as the nodes of the witch starting position, the difference is 20% from the Shaper notable and witch has 4% increased mana. Miniscule difference, race important? Too bad, what percentage of players actually race? That 20% difference is...

Looking at the spell nodes at the start of both, can't see why is Scion better.

"
tinko92 wrote:
The issue was reaching the circle.

The mana nodes are the same as the nodes of the witch starting position, the difference is 20% from the Shaper notable and witch has 4% increased mana. Miniscule difference, race important? Too bad, what percentage of players actually race? That 20% difference is...

Looking at the spell nodes at the start of both, can't see why is Scion better.

1. You're an attacker. Your tree is basically a mara/duelist/templar. Therefore the difference isn't as telling.

2. There is still a difference. Here, I'll break it down for you. The scion version has:

- +8% to maximum mana
- +1% to life regen
- +40% incr. mana regen
- +16% incr. armour
- +1.4% incr. ES
- +1.2% incr. evasion
- +12% spell damage (irrelevant I know)

Granted, the difference would not have been as much as if you had been a life-based caster. But there is still a difference. If you don't mind the small differences, then that's fine. However, this was the whole point of this thread - min-maxing builds based upon classes.
Build of the Week 14
Last edited by Invalesco on Jan 25, 2014, 10:01:43 AM
Make a tree of what you think starting part is (10-20 nodes?), because I think you're now confusing that my build with a caster one, or the other way around.

So, starting nodes for a caster with Scion and Witch, and we'll sum up the differences.
ill chime in and point out one thing:

for MoM+EB_AA build 20% mana regen is HUGE. for a Cloak of Defiance build (no MoM keystone) Scion is a clear winner for easy access to both 8life/6mana circles and incredibly powerful 40%regen+8/8/8mana+40%regen-1%liferegen path. easy accessible ~+20all resists are also very important if you rely on uniques without resists themselves.

scion only 'weakness' is the start, when she has to take end-game nodes to branch out (40% mana regen vs 80% early game is nothing. end game it is do or die difference. fortunately early game you can get to merveil without picking any nodes and with blue gear so it is not a problem

for a normal class: you get good nodes at start, filler in the middle and cherry-pick good stuff at the end

for scion: you get filler at the beginning and then only cherrypick good stuff. that ofc is a stretch because it is difficult to name 40/1% regen node a 'filler', same goes for the oposite node with cast/attack/move speed that lies on the way to juicy aura/trap passives
"
tinko92 wrote:
Make a tree of what you think starting part is (10-20 nodes?), because I think you're now confusing that my build with a caster one, or the other way around.

So, starting nodes for a caster with Scion and Witch, and we'll sum up the differences.

I don't get what you mean. The build I just linked above was the exact same build as yours, except with some superiorities at end game. my concern is not about the starting nodes. It's abt the end game. As you said, you didn't care about races. Neither do I, so why bother with the starting nodes?

Sure, make any end game witch/shadow life based caster build. I'll show u a scion version that's better.
Build of the Week 14
"
Invalesco wrote:

I don't get what you mean. The build I just linked above was the exact same build as yours, except with some superiorities at end game. my concern is not about the starting nodes. It's abt the end game. As you said, you didn't care about races. Neither do I, so why bother with the starting nodes?

Sure, make any end game witch/shadow life based caster build. I'll show u a scion version that's better.

The thread name is about starting position? And starting position has nothing to do with end game, as you can reach Scion starting position with any other character.

Can't give you any end game caster build, I've never played one.

But I've answered to your thread question and provided that melee builds aren't better by starting with Scion, and getting back at the first 2 sentences in this post, I don't know why would it be different for any other build, as you can eventually get those Scion nodes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info