Tanking definition

admittedly i do have my share of nonsensical silly posts under my belt.
Relics of a bygone time.

Or foruming while drunk I suppose.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:

Have you really played a melee evasion character since release? Did you actually die to a one-shot? It's not like we're in Onslaught anymore where you can actually get hit by Vaal Smash. If GGG hadn't added Undying Evangelists and a handful of EK bosses, you'd see a good deal more Evasion characters. High level players make mistakes too, especially when things change from the status quo; look at people still running granite flasks with IR.

I haven't, since I was 90+ level then.

So, you're saying that you can't get one-shot with evasion build?
Even if there's a 5% chance of that, it's still unreliable and I wouldn't use it by any chance in 90+ leveling process.
An evasion character is not generally any more likely to die to a single physical hit than an armour character, unless said armour character has made an investment in armour values greater than 60k-100k. Which is only applicable to high-returns armour builds. Most builds have far far lower armour returns.

And even then, the real issue has only ever been spells. Which can be avoided outright by staying away form all of a few maps.
Last edited by Autocthon on Jan 23, 2014, 4:05:11 PM
"
Autocthon wrote:
An evasion character is not generally any more likely to die to a single physical hit than an armour character, unless said armour character has made an investment in armour values greater than 60k-100k. Which is only applicable to high-returns armour builds. Most builds have far far lower armour returns.

And even then, the real issue has only ever been spells. Which can be avoided outright by staying away form all of a few maps.

That is simply not true.
Any "good" armour character has IR and Jade/Granite flasks, press 2 buttons and armour goes over 50k if you have low armour gear.
I have ~3k armour from gear, with few passives invested (that were on my path) and Determination i have somewhat over 50k armour, add Grace if needed, armour goes to ~64k.
So you get the point about how easy getting 60k armour is.

I'm getting back at your first statement again, not true.
You fail to understand the way damage taken scales. 60k armour is fine for a few seconds, then you're back down to 20k which is a pittance against anything that does any real damage.

Any build that can crest 6k life essentially does not care what defense it uses, and Ev builds can crest 6k life.
they don't call it path of life nodes without a good reason. it is a simple concept .
the more things a particular defense is applicable against , the more valuable said defense is.

so
life
energy shield (because of chaos damage going through it)
resists
block (because it caps at 75)
spell block (because there are fewer spells and resists help alot more with spells)
evasion
armor

in the grand scheme of things evasion is better for tanking than armor . but tba they are both the least useful defenses to stack.

my level 81 character has 2k armor

and and from what i have seen , the greatest limiting factor for me doing maps is that my hp pool is embarrassingly small at a pathetic 3.5 k hp , everything else procs my enduring cry and then 5 second phyisical invulnerability from immortal call procing
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Jan 23, 2014, 4:29:03 PM
"
Autocthon wrote:
You fail to understand the way damage taken scales. 60k armour is fine for a few seconds, then you're back down to 20k which is a pittance against anything that does any real damage.

Any build that can crest 6k life essentially does not care what defense it uses, and Ev builds can crest 6k life.

And you fail to understand that flasks do recharge.

We can discuss more about this after you provide some videos to support your statements that evasion is actually better than armour.
"
Autocthon wrote:

Bow down to tinko, he has tanked stuff you DREAM about tanking

Show proof or else quit talking, cuz thats all you are doing. Evasion is *very* well known for its one-shot prone nature.

"
Autocthon wrote:

6k life isnt enough for some bosses and mod combos ... pls get out of 66 maps asap, ty

"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
"
ancalagon3000 wrote:

not sure if srs, troll, or n00p

cwdt requires you to take the dmg first ... derp

block and evasion are not even the issue or point of discussion here

this game is well known for its dmg spikes

yeah it does ,

so stack life like a smart normal person, armor doesnt do shit for big hits anyway, neither does AA or evasion.

so get a big hp pool , wait for the cwdt to proc and enjoy 5 seconds of physical invulnerability

and drop a flame totem
and enjoy free evasion that you needed zero passive or gear investment for .

you want tankyness , but for some reason people seem to think that stacking armor evasions or things like AA and mom are some how the most effective ways to do it.

ok i will explain to you in english ... is it your comfortable language?

its called cast WHEN damage taken ... means before your immortal call is cast, you take the damage! Some damage at endgame cannot be tanked with even 6k life, and you die before your cute IC procs.

'Armor doesnt do shit for big hits' ---> With the advent of jade flasks, its easy to get 60k armor on one of these tanks me and tinko are talking about, that and end charges alone reduce vaal smash by 75% easily. Yeah, come again? Your evasion char wont be able to tank story vaal smash when a hit gets through lol. Evasion =/= real mitigation, its a gambling process where you are at the end of a stick each time, and the ends are either 100% mitigation or 0% vs the big hits. Armor / life tanks dont have this issue. Try tank a hit from powerful crits extra dmg extra ele vuln bear with armor build and evasion build, see which one survives.
Last edited by ancalagon3000 on Jan 23, 2014, 5:48:28 PM
"
ancalagon3000 wrote:

Bow down to tinko, he has tanked stuff you DREAM about tanking

Show proof or else quit talking, cuz thats all you are doing. Evasion is *very* well known for its one-shot prone nature.
It is *very* well known for something that hesn't been true since before closed beta.

"
6k life isnt enough for some bosses and mod combos ... pls get out of 66 maps asap, ty
6k life, after some damage reduction effects, will tank any single damage source except a Hand of God/Vaal Smash. And those are both half elemental.

"

ok i will explain to you in english ... is it your comfortable language?

its called cast WHEN damage taken ... means before your immortal call is cast, you take the damage! Some damage at endgame cannot be tanked with even 6k life, and you die before your cute IC procs.
Even while IC is up it will continue to proc over and over off elemental damage. Literally every ele,mental damage source.

"
'Armor doesnt do shit for big hits' ---> With the advent of jade flasks, its easy to get 60k armor on one of these tanks me and tinko are talking about, that and end charges alone reduce vaal smash by 75% easily. Yeah, come again? Your evasion char wont be able to tank story vaal smash when a hit gets through lol. Evasion =/= real mitigation, its a gambling process where you are at the end of a stick each time, and the ends are either 100% mitigation or 0% vs the big hits. Armor / life tanks dont have this issue. Try tank a hit from powerful crits extra dmg extra ele vuln bear with armor build and evasion build, see which one survives.
This is just you going "lolololol I can't hear you and think that story vaal actually does damage to an evade character"

Hint: Map vaal doesn't hurt unless he smashes you while IC is down. And if you didn't get IC up for the smash you're flat bad.

Edit: And here you go level 90 Acrobat http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/628296

And another http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/503727
Last edited by Autocthon on Jan 23, 2014, 6:33:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info