Tanking definition

physical spells hit extra hard on evasion based toons.
IGN: AchiLize
Achi's Quality Shop https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/602552
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:

Block is just as good with evasion as it is with armor (the exception being a broken unique).

Evasion is entropy-based, NOT random. If you have 80% chance to evade, you will be hit 1 out of 5 attacks, period.

From the mechanics thread: "If an incoming critical strike succeeds its hit roll, a second independent hit roll is performed to determine if the critical is evaded or not. If this roll succeeds, a critical strike is scored. If it fails, the attack still hits, but only for regular damage."

Basically, if an attack crits you can make it a non-crit with an evasion roll, while armor characters just get shit out of luck since critical hits obliterate armor efficiency.

Physical attacks and spells that cause "a hilarious amount of damage" do plenty of damage to everyone thanks to the pretty pathetic mitigation armor offers large hits (which is why the plated affix does jack shit, but the physical resist map mod does a lot).

It's still luck based, just not that much like relying on block, of course.

Even Vaal's crit smash can't take more than 5k life when I use my Granite/Jade flasks.
While an evasion character gets one shot even without crit.

And I have no idea how can anyone play 90+ level melee character as an evasion based, not to mention tank anything serious.

Evasion is best suited for ranged characters, if you don't try to tank with that character, from my experience.

"
biralo wrote:

Yes I am, but starting to get sick of it due to low dps.

Well I can always go for a build using legacy kaoms ;-)

But until it's nerfed, or a better tanking build with MUCH higher dps potential is found, I will continue to ride the high =)

Basing game standards on a single broken item is... ?

You can go for legacy Kaom's, but it's full potential is only with 2 handed weapons, especially after the life buff.
Kaom's is not a build enabler.
Without these OP uniques, how else can you survive hard bosses without out-leeching the damage taken???

These items are in the game, so why not use them?

Better than those who used the justed-nerfed summoner tricks right?
"
biralo wrote:
Without these OP uniques, how else can you survive hard bosses without out-leeching the damage taken???

These items are in the game, so why not use them?

Better than those who used the justed-nerfed summoner tricks right?

Whoa, where did this bolded sentence come from?

If Kaom's is that OP, I don't think that people would be spending 200+ exalts in crafting their chests.

But, with shields it's a whole different story, there's no shield that can even come close to Aegis.
That's the point.

I absolutely agree, use them, why not, but don't make statement about things that can only be doable with that one item, which is - OP and I hope it has a pending nerf.

I'd put Aegis right beside those summoner tricks, in terms of their usage.
Because, as Aegis is to other shields, those burning miscreations were to the other summons.

Agree?
"
tinko92 wrote:

I'd put Aegis right beside those summoner tricks, in terms of their usage.
Because, as Aegis is to other shields, those burning miscreations were to the other summons.

Agree?

Well to my limited knowledge, the only builds that can afk on double+piety(shrine/temple)+gmp+etc need Aegis, so yeah I agree Aegis is OP, otherwise why else am I using it right? xD

If you have a better build (more dps pls!), please do share!
Kaom up side is lots of life, but downside is no ES, so doesn't help AA+EB builds...

But yeah, suits better for 2h builds.
Nothing beats life / armor / block guys, get over it

Evasion = lol oneshot, MOM / AA = not enough buffer
"
ancalagon3000 wrote:
Nothing beats life / armor / block guys, get over it

Evasion = lol oneshot, MOM / AA = not enough buffer

That's false and depends on the enemy you're facing. MoM is way more useful against, for example, vaal smashes instead of armor.

Some maths with ZERO ARMOR lvl20 AA and MoM from cloak of defiance (40%) VS. 20k armor

500 damage, 20k armor provides 76,92% mitigation = 115,4 final damage
500 damage, MoM decreases that by 40% = 300 - 189 from AA = 111 final damage

1000 damage, 20k armor provides 62,5% mitigation = 375 final damage
1000 damage, MoM decreases that by 40% = 600 - 189 from AA = 411 final damage

1500 damage, 20k armor provides 52,63% mitigation = 705 final damage
1500 damage, MoM decreases that by 40% = 900 - 189 from AA = 711 final damage

2000 damage, 20k armor provides 45,45% mitigation = 1090 final damage
2000 damage, MoM decreases that by 40% = 1200 - 189 from AA = 1011 final damage

And so on. This assuming no inner force, pushing AA to 229 flat reduction and ZERO armor.

5k armor + MoM + AA are better than high armor alone. Stack 50%+ block and you're set. Also MoM protects against spell damage and very big hits too while armor doesn't. Check Ziggy AA MoM armor EK build for firther information :)

And in all honest, my SC templar with 11k armor and AA tanks better than my ex 13k armor 60% block duelist too :/

"
Mahesys wrote:

Spoiler
That's false and depends on the enemy you're facing. MoM is way more useful against, for example, vaal smashes instead of armor.

Some maths with ZERO ARMOR lvl20 AA and MoM from cloak of defiance (40%) VS. 20k armor

500 damage, 20k armor provides 76,92% mitigation = 115,4 final damage
500 damage, MoM decreases that by 40% = 300 - 189 from AA = 111 final damage

1000 damage, 20k armor provides 62,5% mitigation = 375 final damage
1000 damage, MoM decreases that by 40% = 600 - 189 from AA = 411 final damage

1500 damage, 20k armor provides 52,63% mitigation = 705 final damage
1500 damage, MoM decreases that by 40% = 900 - 189 from AA = 711 final damage

2000 damage, 20k armor provides 45,45% mitigation = 1090 final damage
2000 damage, MoM decreases that by 40% = 1200 - 189 from AA = 1011 final damage

And so on. This assuming no inner force, pushing AA to 229 flat reduction and ZERO armor.

5k armor + MoM + AA are better than high armor alone. Stack 50%+ block and you're set. Also MoM protects against spell damage and very big hits too while armor doesn't. Check Ziggy AA MoM armor EK build for firther information :)

And in all honest, my SC templar with 11k armor and AA tanks better than my ex 13k armor 60% block duelist too :/

Where's AA in armour part?

Also, a real armour tank has IR, and therefore benefits from Granite/Jade flask stacking, and making 50k+ armour as easy as poking nose.

I'll go check that EK build, hopefully there are some videos to prove it's tanking ability.

EDIT:
No videos in the build/guide thread, no screenshots of defensive stats.
Link to his youtube account where it popped out to subscribe million times, bunch of unorganized videos so I gave up searching.
Mind if anyone link some videos?
Last edited by tinko92 on Jan 23, 2014, 3:48:49 AM
ZiggyD's EK build... no offense, but 7k EK dmg?

I pass. I'm sticking to my CI Aegis 17k DS setup. (Low damage I know, but effective)
Last edited by biralo on Jan 23, 2014, 4:30:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info