Iron Reflexes + Leather and Steel

there goes my build. Luckily I havent start playing yet in open beta :-)
Last edited by Vincemeister on Jan 27, 2013, 2:23:43 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
rac56tme wrote:
1: It's 5 points for 40%, not 3 points for 40%.

I'm talking about the three-node cluster obviously (why else would I state "three points"), because that's the most worthwhile one. 8+8+24=40.
The six-node cluster is 64%, which is also solid.

1) Again, we're not debating the usefulness of the nodes, simply the misleading wording that would have people with iron Reflexes believe they get both.

2) I said 5 point node because only 5 of the 6 points add up to 40% (the number you brought up by confusing what we were discussing with the 3 point 40% node. Thanks for that), with the last giving 24%.

Again, thanks for trying to derail my thread though. I appreciate it.
Last edited by rac56tme on Jan 27, 2013, 7:56:22 AM
from what I understand and what the developers have posted in other threads is that the conversion nodes do not just simply remove the older stat (in this case its evasion) and add it to the the new stat (in this case armor)

instead your evasion becomes 0 but your evasion rating stays the same. now you might ask "well whats the difference" the thing is your damage reduction will take your evasion rating into consideration for it as well.

so things like leather and steel nodes will still apply as normally. your armor value will increase, and your evasion rating will also increase by 8%. and then they'll be added together.

this does not mean that your armor will increase by 16%.

well you now my ask "well why does this matter" well it all depends on gear choices. for a duelist, your gonna be getting both dex and str just because thats just where your nodes are. be cause of this, you wont be able to wear those heavy pure armor items. or at least it'll take a while before you can.

so what you'll be wearing most likely are the armor/evasion items instead. which will have a reduced amount of armor and evasion than a pure set would have. so with leather and steel, you can improve both stats, and then combine them together with iron reflexes.

but if you are getting just pure armor gear, then iron reflexes will only convert the evasion your getting with dex, but with how much str you need for that gear type, you wont be getting much dex, thus iron reflexes will end up not providing much at all.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/120959 My guides
"
DarkenDragon wrote:
from what I understand and what the developers have posted in other threads is that the conversion nodes do not just simply remove the older stat (in this case its evasion) and add it to the the new stat (in this case armor)

instead your evasion becomes 0 but your evasion rating stays the same. now you might ask "well whats the difference" the thing is your damage reduction will take your evasion rating into consideration for it as well.

so things like leather and steel nodes will still apply as normally. your armor value will increase, and your evasion rating will also increase by 8%. and then they'll be added together.

this does not mean that your armor will increase by 16%.

well you now my ask "well why does this matter" well it all depends on gear choices. for a duelist, your gonna be getting both dex and str just because thats just where your nodes are. be cause of this, you wont be able to wear those heavy pure armor items. or at least it'll take a while before you can.

so what you'll be wearing most likely are the armor/evasion items instead. which will have a reduced amount of armor and evasion than a pure set would have. so with leather and steel, you can improve both stats, and then combine them together with iron reflexes.

but if you are getting just pure armor gear, then iron reflexes will only convert the evasion your getting with dex, but with how much str you need for that gear type, you wont be getting much dex, thus iron reflexes will end up not providing much at all.

Do you have a source on this? I could not find the answer.
So now I am confused. If leather and steel no longer provides the evasion bonus, it would follow that ALL +x% evasion nodes are useless with IR. That cannot be the intention, can it?

So maybe what was changed was that armor passives now apply before the IR conversion, not afterwards? Meaning that if you have 0 base armor, any +x% armor node, including Leather and steel, will do nothing?

Edit: Nevermind, the answer is right in the next thread.
Last edited by Cronos988 on Jan 27, 2013, 8:42:32 AM
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/70101/filter-account-type/staff

that is where I got my theory from, it doesnt really explain exactly, but from that it sounds like all modifiers are applied before converting.

so for IR, leather and steel is a far more valuable stat than armor nodes if your getting armor/evasion gear, which is probably the reason why your getting IR in the first place. unless your going for a pure dex build and you want armor instead of evasion and didnt have the str to support armor gear.

Evasion still applies, armor still applies, leather and steel applies once for logical reasons.

It applies to both armor and evasion, not both. The effect is much more logical if you first think about elemental damage. Should Ice Spear suddenly get twice as much damage from elemental damage when you add cold to fire? It's still dealing elemental damage before and after and so still gets it, but doesn't double. Likewise leather and steel applies to any stat that is either of armor or evasion. If you convert it doesn't double because the stat is still armor or evasion.
So in plain English, is it worth getting both IR and L&S if you do not take a majority of dex nodes? I'm making a str IG duelist bowman and I haven't really worked towards either node yet.
to be a bow user, your gonna need dex since thats the required stat for that weapon type

the whole point of IR is to convert your evasion into armor.

this skill was made for players who build high evasion but would rather prefer armor.

if your a duelist and you want IR, its because your str isnt high enough to wear a normal armor set, and your using the armor/evasion gear instead.
"
dsfargeg wrote:
So in plain English, is it worth getting both IR and L&S if you do not take a majority of dex nodes? I'm making a str IG duelist bowman and I haven't really worked towards either node yet.

this is how it works: once you take IR you no longer have evasion now you have all armor. when you take any of the leather and steel nodes your only getting the +% of armor that is on them and your not getting the +% to evade that is on them. so if it says +8% armor and +8% evade, all you get is +8% armor for that node.

i know it sucks that it doesn't say that and i hope some day they take the time to fix that but i would also suggest that ppl look up on the forums any big nodes that they want to take in a build before you start your build so that you know what and how they work first. this is one of those games that you really cant just jump in feet first, it takes lots of planing a build before you even start playing the game.
Last edited by banezilla on Jan 28, 2013, 2:25:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info