[1.0.2] One-Hand/Shield Lightning Strike Templar

Hello there, thank you for taking the time to make this post 1.0 guide; it's a bit of a drought out there with regard to up-to-date Lightning Strike / Templar information at the moment.

Questions, questions.

1) 15% increased shock duration - why not pick this up?

2) Life + Chaos resistance node behind Purity of Flesh - what makes this node any good?

3) Holy Strength - im not seeing why this node is so great

4) Faith and Steel - not worth points? seems like a nice node, only one point away...

5) Aegis/Raw Power cluster - is it REALLY worth it? Seems inefficient, but Raw Power... mmm good!

6) Any particular reason you don't pick up Blood Drinker?

7) Iron Grip - worth it? you mentioned that you'd tried it out with 500 str and was reconsidering it, but you haven't changed the main skill tree, so...

8) Golem's Blood - is passive life regeneration really any good? Cos that Diamond Flesh node is a biiig journey if it isn't...

9) Sentinel - just checking that 24% evasion rating + armor only gives u 24% armor if you have Iron Reflexes... it doesn't double-dip, right? Cos I remember reading that somewhere.

10) Leather & Steel's 'Ignore All Movement Penalties From Armour' ability - what is the value of this ability? (I mean, I can see what it does, but what is the actual value of it, is it useful in battle?)

11) You didn't pick up Heart of the Gladiator and Diamond Skin from the Marauder start, can I ask why? These two nodes seem formidable and easily accessible...

- Followup question to this: if indeed they are worthwhile nodes, is it then worthwhile to invest in Enemy Critical Strike Multiplier Reduction and the Troll's Blood node?

12) Endurance Charge Duration nodes - not worth it in your opinion?

13) Bulwark not needed for extra block chance? Seems quite close by and useful.

14) Shield Block And Spell Blocking - is the spell blocking component as awesome as it sounds?

15) Have you considered not getting Static Blows at all, and instead investing more in the lower half a tree? Just wondering how crucial Static Blows is, considering that this character cannot Crit after all.

Apologies, I know this is a mountain of questions. Thanks in advance.

Edit: this is what I've come up with so far Linky with additional points probably going into mace specialization, +life% and +block% - if I ever get that far!
Last edited by Yosharian on Nov 23, 2013, 4:38:40 PM
"
Tuche wrote:
Noob question.

Why in the start of the Templar tree, you decided to go with Physical instead taking the Elemental Damage path?

For example go so: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVuLjOFz7SBG113GtQTkIilP7DiCm1fid-UyiQSzFE2iAAJx8B-0-Q==

Lightning Strike converts 50% of your physical damage to lightning damage. Therefore, your overall damage is greater if you focus more on boosting your general physical damage, since that will affect both the physical and elemental portion of Lightning Strike, whereas the elemental damage nodes will only affect the elemental portion.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, go for weapon physical nodes that aren't strictly melee. The same logic applies; the melee physical damage nodes only affect the physical LS swing and not the projectiles, whereas your general increased physical damage nodes will affect both your melee range swing as well as the projectiles.
xeroslash - One-Hand/Shield Lightning Strike Templar
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/75285
"
Yosharian wrote:
Hello there, thank you for taking the time to make this post 1.0 guide; it's a bit of a drought out there with regard to up-to-date Lightning Strike / Templar information at the moment.

Questions, questions.

1) 15% increased shock duration - why not pick this up?

If you have the points for it, go for it. Points are always at a premium.

2) Life + Chaos resistance node behind Purity of Flesh - what makes this node any good?

Chaos resist is hard to come by. If you have enough from gears or that you don't feel it's necessary for you, you can invest elsewhere.

3) Holy Strength - im not seeing why this node is so great

If you refunded the point from Holy Strength, you really don't have other comparable health nodes to put into. Feel free to play around with it.

4) Faith and Steel - not worth points? seems like a nice node, only one point away...

On my current in-game tree, it is 2 points away.

Also, I do not use much ES equipment, so it's not something of a priority of me. Your situation may be different, so feel free to adjust as needed.

5) Aegis/Raw Power cluster - is it REALLY worth it? Seems inefficient, but Raw Power... mmm good!

Raw Power is one of two clusters for added physical damage with one-handed weapons that are within easy reach for Templars. To reach it, you'll be grabbing Aegis as well. These generic weapon physical damage nodes aren't as good as their weapon-specific counterparts, but you gain the flexibility to switch weapon types at will.

If you know you will be focused on oen weapon type, use the appropriate nodes.

6) Any particular reason you don't pick up Blood Drinker?

See #1. Also, you can get life leech from equipment as well.

7) Iron Grip - worth it? you mentioned that you'd tried it out with 500 str and was reconsidering it, but you haven't changed the main skill tree, so...

Still playing around with it, but I think I will keep it.

8) Golem's Blood - is passive life regeneration really any good? Cos that Diamond Flesh node is a biiig journey if it isn't...

Life regeneration scales well with your health nodes, and Golem's Blood is one of the bigger ones. You can skip it if you don't feel you need it, but if you've stuck with it for any amount of time, it'll be hard to let go.

9) Sentinel - just checking that 24% evasion rating + armor only gives u 24% armor if you have Iron Reflexes... it doesn't double-dip, right? Cos I remember reading that somewhere.

I just see it as a decent node for both armor and elemental resists that isn't too far away. It is also better than Faith and Steel for me, since I do not stack ES.

10) Leather & Steel's 'Ignore All Movement Penalties From Armour' ability - what is the value of this ability? (I mean, I can see what it does, but what is the actual value of it, is it useful in battle?)

You want your movement speed to be as high as possible. This node also gives you flexibility of using heavier equipment without overstepping any movement bonuses you may have.

11) You didn't pick up Heart of the Gladiator and Diamond Skin from the Marauder start, can I ask why? These two nodes seem formidable and easily accessible...

The marauder tree used to be a common health cluster to aim for. After release, the Scion health cluster provides more health for the same amount of points that we normally would spend on. The reduced critical multiplier nodes were also somewhat nerfed as of 0.9.5 (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Version_0.9.5#General_Balance), making the jump to the Scion tree an easier decision.

- Followup question to this: if indeed they are worthwhile nodes, is it then worthwhile to invest in Enemy Critical Strike Multiplier Reduction and the Troll's Blood node?

See #11.

12) Endurance Charge Duration nodes - not worth it in your opinion?

See #1.

13) Bulwark not needed for extra block chance? Seems quite close by and useful.

1. It is up to you if you want to have 50% block, or more. Points are always at a premium. 75% block requires more point investment that 50%.

2. The higher your block rate, the less your CWDT will proc. Balance it to your preferences.

14) Shield Block And Spell Blocking - is the spell blocking component as awesome as it sounds?

Yes. You can get the most out of spell block by using a Stone of Lazhwar (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Stone_of_Lazhwar). But even having a little helps in the grand scheme of things, as spells do not traditionally miss.

15) Have you considered not getting Static Blows at all, and instead investing more in the lower half a tree? Just wondering how crucial Static Blows is, considering that this character cannot Crit after all.

Without Static Blows, you cannot inflict shock at all, since you have Resolute Technique. Static Blows gives you that opportunity to shock even without having to crit.

When I started this character I originally aimed for criticals. However, this requires a hefty investment (~300% critical strike chance for reliability, plus any accuracy as needed). Resolute Technique brings this down to one point. Accuracy is important for LS because if the game calculates your initial hit as a miss, ALL of your projectiles from that swing will miss as well.

Apologies, I know this is a mountain of questions. Thanks in advance.

Edit: this is what I've come up with so far Linky with additional points probably going into mace specialization, +life% and +block% - if I ever get that far!

Answers in bold. I'll look at your skill tree later.
I've made a Lightning Strike character that is completely different from yours. I'm interested in comparing my build to yours, could you post your current stats here please?

thanks for the response!

look forward to seeing your critique of my newbie attempt at a build =p
"
Epicbo wrote:
I've made a Lightning Strike character that is completely different from yours. I'm interested in comparing my build to yours, could you post your current stats here please?

I currently run Tempest Shield and Hatred as my auras.
Defensively, I proc Enfeeble, as well as EC and Decoy Totem, from CwDT. My shield also gives me a chance to proc Enfeeble when attacking enemies. It works out pretty well in solo play.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=197854252
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=197854344

First screenshot has my Lightning Strike tooltip DPS. Projectile damage would be somewhat lower.
Second screenshot has my Heavy Strike tooltip DPS and my defensive stat window.

My current equipment:

Spoiler

With better gears I can improve my current health and armor; I'm also considering getting some mana reservation nodes so that I can run one additional aura.

Quick edit: in case you are wondering, I handle maps fairly well, aside from elemental reflect.
Last edited by shyftyx on Nov 24, 2013, 12:58:45 PM
"
Yosharian wrote:
thanks for the response!

I'll take a look and PM you separately. Also, I will be asking you about your gears at some point as well.
"
shyftyx wrote:
"
Yosharian wrote:
thanks for the response!

I'll take a look and PM you separately. Also, I will be asking you about your gears at some point as well.

I have no gear, I have one character in SoftCore and that's my Templar, I have no other characters and don't even have Tempest Shield right now, I have Lightning Strike and Glacial Hammer, two Weapon Elemental Damage gems, Enduring Cry, and Anger (yeah I didn't know what I was doing haha), and I'm level 33 and chose Oak (+40 life) as my Bandit reward.
"
shyftyx wrote:

Interesting. I have almost the same stats as you do, even though our builds are completely different.

Stats:
Spoiler

Gear:
Spoiler

Build:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAnEDlgSzCGcRlhRNFm8XLxg8GYUZiho4GmwajxzcHaokPCSqJLAnqSj6KU8vbzKJNZI26TrhOyhBh0ZxRtdJUU3jVcZV1lfiWfNabV3GYENk52e9bj1vnnC7cql35XzZf8aApIKbgseDCYbRiPGLjI9GkFWTJ5M6m6GbtZ2uogCmV6cIp1ynhKxZrKq0DLUEtz64k70nwBrDOspKz2XQ0NkT4XPhiONq5CLnY-vu7DjtIO5v8B_yRfba-ej60vsJ_gr-jw==

"
Epicbo wrote:

That's pretty neat! A few things:

1. As you're not running Tempest Shield, you might want to consider a 2-hand weapon if you can still cap your resists. 2-handers can roll higher physical attack, so that should up your DPS by quite a bit.

2. Have you tried running Hatred instead of Anger? Hatred increases by a percentage, so you may be able to get a bigger DPS boost from it than Anger.

Overall, that's a nice character! I have actually been tweaking my build since my post yesterday and I still have a long way to go in terms of getting the most out of my character. Hope the tips help you as well!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info