THE ULTIMATE POE POLL!!!!

[B] 100% !!!

Best regards, Fary :)
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3
Last edited by Farystar on Jan 1, 2014, 3:55:58 PM
C - no desync AND bullet proof cheat protection. It's possible! Maybe even with simple methods like just more servers or improved game engine (a game that causes desyncs even if you just walk through a narrow passage/door is not really optimal designed).
I have heavy desync sometimes, and I mean bad like standing never there where I am displayed! Sometimes even in other rooms and usualy then when I conquer alot of mobs. Hitting thin air right in front of mobs (chara actualy can't miss!) etc. Died alot as Melee, not so much as Ranged of course but the desync is there, sometimees more, sometimes less but without /oos I could not play PoE at all! :(
I recently found out that Lightning Warp can fix desync more or less, at least it can save lifes!
I recommend GGG to rework their engine so that the levels itself don't have to much causes of desyns like narow passages, to small dorways etc. Look at Diablo 3, everything is huge there for a reason. ;) Still the issue that mobs can also cause desync, especialy fast ones. I suspect issues with positioning and pathing there. Alot todo for sure!
And by the way, fading level objects that don't block your entire view would be also a nice idea. It's not rocket science. ;)
Last edited by Fusion_Power on Jan 1, 2014, 8:56:57 PM
A.

The people choosing B boggle my mind. Seriously? It's an action rpg. I'd rather be able to actually play my character properly than worry about people cheating with speed hacks or whatever. Who gives a shit if someone manages to hack the game? Hackers can be detected and banned regardless.

A all the way. Allow me to actually use skills like Whirling Blades and play my character properly!
Team Won
I don't want cheaters in the game B/C. So %100 (B) I rather deal with desync, VS cheaters
Last edited by DragonsBIood on Jan 2, 2014, 6:24:12 AM
"
DragonsBIood wrote:
I don't want cheaters in the game B/C. So %100 (B) I rather deal with desync, VS cheaters

desync has nothing to do with cheaters. people that bought the story about 'magic' connection between these two.. amaze and amuse me

have ggg removed full map info from the client? or maphacks are still easy as 2+2 because all the info is send to the client? see - desync has nothing to do with cheaters, boters nor dupers. item creation is server-side only already
"
desync has nothing to do with cheaters. people that bought the story about 'magic' connection between these two.. amaze and amuse me

have ggg removed full map info from the client? or maphacks are still easy as 2+2 because all the info is send to the client? see - desync has nothing to do with cheaters, boters nor dupers. item creation is server-side only already

Did you watch chris wilson interview.....? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y-QFqRHoPM

This what i meant... btw (^_^) watch 3 mins of it
Last edited by DragonsBIood on Jan 2, 2014, 7:05:22 AM
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
DragonsBIood wrote:

That's because you don't understand how syncing works. Being out of sync with the server is unavoidable because of latency. Information can't travel instantly hundreds or thousands kilometers across.
That's where various resync strategies come into play. The big question is how much of client's data should be used in resyncing. More of client's data = smoother gameplay.
The problem is, client's data can be manipulated because there's no control of what you do on your own computer (anything else would be a serious privacy violation).

So while desync/resync has nothing to do with bots or other automatons, it will most certainly lead to a bunch of smaller exploits that will add up and give hackers a huge advantage over legitimate players. And the worst part is that those exploits aren't easy to track down to ban the players. It would most certainly require more resources (people, money, work hours) to hunt down hackers than to maintain a half-arsed resync system.

Just as a reference, here's some of the things you can do in Diablo 2 due to how sync is handled:
telewalking - you can make non-teleporting characters essentialy be able to teleport (although with some limitations). you can still jump in town to reach the waypoint faster or jump out of a monster pack when surrounded
interacting with objects from a distance - you can stash items from anywhere in town, you can use waypoints instantly and from a much greater distance than normally, you can pick items from a distance and even through walls
speedhack - you can manipulate attack and cast speed rates, as well as hit and block recovery rates
flash hack - basically you can force any player in the current game into resync every 100 or less milliseconds. this is followed by constant rubberbanding and dark screen
you can move npcs around - while not exactly related to sync issues, it shows what kind of weird things you can pull off when you allow client too much freedom.

This may not matter to you or some other players that aren't too involved with the game, but it completely fucks over competitive gameplay - races and 4-mo leagues.
IGN: NNQQ, Sporkay, Rands_
"
kolton wrote:

That's because you don't understand how syncing works. Being out of sync with the server is unavoidable because of latency. Information can't travel instantly hundreds or thousands kilometers across.
That's where various resync strategies come into play. The big question is how much of client's data should be used in resyncing. More of client's data = smoother gameplay.
The problem is, client's data can be manipulated because there's no control of what you do on your own computer (anything else would be a serious privacy violation).

So while desync/resync has nothing to do with bots or other automatons, it will most certainly lead to a bunch of smaller exploits that will add up and give hackers a huge advantage over legitimate players. And the worst part is that those exploits aren't easy to track down to ban the players. It would most certainly require more resources (people, money, work hours) to hunt down hackers than to maintain a half-arsed resync system.

Just as a reference, here's some of the things you can do in Diablo 2 due to how sync is handled:
telewalking - you can make non-teleporting characters essentialy be able to teleport (although with some limitations). you can still jump in town to reach the waypoint faster or jump out of a monster pack when surrounded
interacting with objects from a distance - you can stash items from anywhere in town, you can use waypoints instantly and from a much greater distance than normally, you can pick items from a distance and even through walls
speedhack - you can manipulate attack and cast speed rates, as well as hit and block recovery rates
flash hack - basically you can force any player in the current game into resync every 100 or less milliseconds. this is followed by constant rubberbanding and dark screen
you can move npcs around - while not exactly related to sync issues, it shows what kind of weird things you can pull off when you allow client too much freedom.

This may not matter to you or some other players that aren't too involved with the game, but it completely fucks over competitive gameplay - races and 4-mo leagues.

a) 'competetive play'? are you JOKING? competetive? when more than half of top 50 on all ladders are RMT'ers/jsp'ers? PLEASE! when top-level streamers use prohibited multi-command macros and nothing is done about that? people thinking that time-sink-based game with RMT is competetive.. it is FUN (and i enjoy it a lot) but competetive?!

b) i perfectly well understand how this preditction system works. there are ways to improve it (more frequent syncs), there are ways of separating one type of data from another (loot generation is ALREADY separate and done on server side 'mob dies' event), game-object generation is already server-only etc. it can be done. what is the issue is movement and movement only. this can be mitigated via various ways - like no-clip for small floor garbage, reducing/limiting movement speed etc. but the system in general has desync built in and it cannot be removed.

the mere fact that you compare d2 (diablo2 - game from PREVIOUS century!) to poe tells a lot. compare poe to more modern game - like world of tanks (thin client only communication strategy). like it or not but their system is better - but more costly. some will claim 'lag' etc but somehow you can play battlefield with 64 other players and desync is barely noticeable and that game is WAY faster and complex.

it can be done. esp in 2014. it is not 1999 anymore
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
kolton wrote:

a) 'competetive play'? are you JOKING? competetive? when more than half of top 50 on all ladders are RMT'ers/jsp'ers? PLEASE! when top-level streamers use prohibited multi-command macros and nothing is done about that? people thinking that time-sink-based game with RMT is competetive.. it is FUN (and i enjoy it a lot) but competetive?!

b) i perfectly well understand how this preditction system works. there are ways to improve it (more frequent syncs), there are ways of separating one type of data from another (loot generation is ALREADY separate and done on server side 'mob dies' event), game-object generation is already server-only etc. it can be done. what is the issue is movement and movement only. this can be mitigated via various ways - like no-clip for small floor garbage, reducing/limiting movement speed etc. but the system in general has desync built in and it cannot be removed.

the mere fact that you compare d2 (diablo2 - game from PREVIOUS century!) to poe tells a lot. compare poe to more modern game - like world of tanks (thin client only communication strategy). like it or not but their system is better - but more costly. some will claim 'lag' etc but somehow you can play battlefield with 64 other players and desync is barely noticeable and that game is WAY faster and complex.

it can be done. esp in 2014. it is not 1999 anymore

a) Then they need to be banned, plain and simple. It doesn't have much to do with sync issues and exploits related to resync using client data tho.
b) I agree with floor trash, there's also a lot of other cases that completely break the current resync system.

There are a couple of reasons I compared poe to d2.
A lot of things are inspired by d2 in poe, even technically. And I haven't really played other online games that can be closely compared to poe or d2.
I did hear that combat in d3 was to be completely done client-side to remove all of sync issues. I don't know if that's the case but I do know that GGG couldn't take that kind of risk with the resources they have available.

And finally, I'm not saying it can't be done (in 2014 or any other year). I'm saying it's going to be a pretty difficult and slow process. I'm hoping for a better system in the future, but not at the cost of compromising the game.
IGN: NNQQ, Sporkay, Rands_
"
3olf wrote:
B.

Just because Desync can't kill Path of Exile. Cheat can.

how so? I play either solo or with friends. I don't see how someone cheating for gear, orbs or whatever will affect me in any way. I don't have statistics but I am inclined to believe that most people play solo or with friends and don't give a f**k about the rest of community or PvP for that matter. I might be wrong.

PS.

A

PPS. My problem with desync is mobs teleporting all over the place in certain situations. You start hitting the mob and suddenly it isn't there. Very frustrating if you trying to kite and your kite is failing because fast mobs are mostly not where you pulled them. While I do like stun and distance mechanics, I also like kite mechanics because unlike the first two, kitting is actually a skill.
"Path of Exile be a online Action RPG set up in tha dark fantasy ghetto of Wraeclast. Well shiiiit..."
- Uzicorn, for teh children.
Last edited by Ludak021 on Jan 2, 2014, 10:28:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info