THE ULTIMATE POE POLL!!!!

A
Botting will always be bigger problem
A and its not close.

While i understand that pvp is in a pinch with cheating as a means of gearing up, even in pvp the desync is horrible and unfun.

On the other hand i don't even understand why gearing up should be part of pvp in the first place. Gear up for pve, fight with full equipped chars in pvp. Nobody has a problem.

In Diablo 2 it didnt concern me at all what somebody else was doing.

desync is a consequence of using predictive system to save on server/traffic costs. when client 'recreates/simulates' what shall happen on server having the same 'seed' and knowing all variables/scenarios it is possible to have game play by only communicating 'seed' information to the client. that is enough for the game to play (separately) in the same way on the client and server

unfortunately player is unpredictable and as such this system - by design - will run out of sync sooner than latter

what you can do is: re-synch aggressively or drop this system entirely. second option means huge re-write. first one costs $$$. sync on stun is a nice step, it seems that there are also some other non-periodic re-syncs

what is horrific is that given all that ggg decides to implement FAST creatures with possibility of them gaining even more speed via mods (snakes, avian, new leapers etc)

btw - desync HAS NOTHING to do with duping/fair play. this is excuse for the gullible. you can (And it seems ggg does it) prevent duping on so many other levels than communication strategy. separating loot-generation from movement is another obvious choice etc etc. also the system with accuracy/evasion can be done otherwise. and no, d3 is not good counter-example here. you can make safe game with acc/eva system without desync - but it costs $$$ and requires huge experience.

as for the pool:

A

game that is technically brilliant (well, it isnt. this system isnt anything new really ) but is tedious to play will be remembered for desync and lag and that tedious feeling ('learn to play along the desync!' - fanbois frequently say..)
Option A for me.
A
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
B. Personnally i take desync in an online game over cheaters any day.

But that ppl think GGG can just change a set system easely is an illusion exile.
PoE Wiki page: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki
Last edited by bjarky on Jan 1, 2014, 10:26:20 AM
I don't get it, how come desync and cheating are inversely related?

Anyway, if this is about priorities of which to fix first I'd pick (A); Focus on desync fix
I would rather play the game how GGG imagined it. Thank you.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
B.

Just because Desync can't kill Path of Exile. Cheat can.
B.

But I have to add that it's not impossible to find the right balance between syncing with some of the client's data and severely limiting exploits through client data manipulation. It's just pretty hard to do.

Also, some clientside prediction mechanisms are just silly.

Let's say a tight pack of undying type monsters rushes at you through a doorway (these monsters are pretty quick and hence very prone to desync).
On the server side of things they'll block each other at that doorway.
On the client side you will see 1-2 follow you and KEEP following you for quite a while.
Then if you click to attack one of those monsters you will appear as if attacking on the client but on the server you'll actually move to its position where the rest of the pack is.

Shift-attacking helps with this issue, but it's not ideal if you're playing something like vaal pack dual strike - you'll be attacking air and be unable to leech while any nearby ranged monsters will slap you.

Both of these are pretty noticeable in sceptre of god areas.

Of course, having a /oos macro and spamming the shit out of it helps with all of sync issues, but it's a dirty solution.
IGN: NNQQ, Sporkay, Rands_

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info