Please explain the "Make an offer" mentality...

More often than not it's because people are timid and cowering at the very thought of missing out on a few chaos or something. The real world didn't prepare them for a barter economy and it scares them to death. Take advantage of it. Knowing item values is entirely the person with the item's responsibility.

If it happens to be one of the few jerks that flames you after an offer, ignore them and move on. Don't get all butthurt about it. If his item was actually worth whatever high amount he's asking, he'll get it. Otherwise he's just wasting his time and you have the last laugh. These people are seriously much less common then the forums make them out to be, it's just another one of the many negativity biases that people associate with the perceived problems with the game.

But really, in trading you should never just say "make an offer" or "how much". You are ultimately in control of the situation if you're the only one advancing the barter. Being timid and apprehensive doesn't get you anywhere in any facet of life, the same is true here.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
The trading system is so hard that the majority have no idea how to price things (I am one of them). But the OP has a valid point!
"
reboticon wrote:

I'm speaking from domination point of view and I feel the same way. In HC leagues it would be lucky to get even that because of no life roll. I'm not saying it isn't worth as much as that guy says, because if it fits his build PERFECT, then it is worth that much to him. That is why people say "offer?"

I paid 5 chaos for this ring:

in domination.

Now to some people, that might be a shit ring, but I am an Aegis facebreaker and I farm dominus. Highest physical bracket, intelligence, huge rarity. If it had life roll + 1 resist, I think it would be worth multiple exalts.

This ring, I also would consider to be worth a ton. It was my reward from fairgraves quest on my first domination character.

It's a well designed game that has different items worth different values to different people.
I think the "offer" mentality is three things:

1. They are really hoping for what's never going to happen "uh, I dunno what anything is worth. I have a mirror of kalandra thingy, will you take that?"

2. They are probably tired of lowballs and dont feel like stopping what they are doing unless they get a solid offer.

3. Everybody else does it.
Rampage IGN: RIP_Stannis_Baratheon
Last edited by AntonChigur on Dec 20, 2013, 10:27:59 AM
I say it all the time.

Because more often than not you will pay more than I think its worth.

Like the guy who bought a 300 dps ele sword from me for 18 chaos that I knew was worth probably 5.

It's my item, I can do what i want with it.
"
damaxxerous wrote:

(...)
1- you have a shop, you have an item, and you're selling...you should have a price in mind.
(...)

For very good items, the seller will just hold an auction, so no issues there.

For other items, the seller needs time to investigate what other people have offered for similar items and from that set a price. That may take minutes of investigation.

Since sellers tend to have many such items and the value of items change over time, it is very time consuming to update proper pricing for all one's goods. So people choose to only investigate when someone actually asks for the item.

So no, in many cases the seller should not be expected to have a price in mind.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Please explain the "What do you want for [insert item name here]" mentality.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Dec 20, 2013, 10:50:16 AM
Just use an indexer to find similar items, if they ask for an offer, I offer half of what I would pay for a buyout and see how it goes from there. If they don't try and dick me around, I'll pay a b/o similar to what I saw the rest of the similar items posted for, otherwise I'll play their game and beat them at it.
RIP count: sideways 8
"
Worldbreaker wrote:

(...)
An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it or sell it for.
(...)

Stupid definition of the word "worth" in the sense that it is impractical. According to your definition of "worth", an exalted orb is worth 1 alteration orb if there is someone stupid enough to pay that.

A far better definition of "worth" is: equilibrium price. This way if you buy something below the equilibrium price, you paid less than the item was "worth". This makes sense and is a practical definition.
"
majesw wrote:
"
reboticon wrote:

I'm speaking from domination point of view and I feel the same way. In HC leagues it would be lucky to get even that because of no life roll. I'm not saying it isn't worth as much as that guy says, because if it fits his build PERFECT, then it is worth that much to him. That is why people say "offer?"

I paid 5 chaos for this ring:

in domination.

Now to some people, that might be a shit ring, but I am an Aegis facebreaker and I farm dominus. Highest physical bracket, intelligence, huge rarity. If it had life roll + 1 resist, I think it would be worth multiple exalts.

This ring, I also would consider to be worth a ton. It was my reward from fairgraves quest on my first domination character.

It's a well designed game that has different items worth different values to different people.

Different items have different utility for different people, sure. The word "value" is a tricky one given that it has multiple definitions.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info