Please explain the "Make an offer" mentality...

"
bowmore17 wrote:
"
majesw wrote:
"
reboticon wrote:

I'm not trolling, I would sell that ring for 3 chaos.

I would sell it for 2-3, but im speaking from a standard league point of view...

Lol so many pople whoreally don't understand the value of things at endgame. Makes me wonder what kind of op items are vendored every day.

Please explain why that ring is so good in your eyes. I really don't get it. I don't vendor rings, except unidentified.
Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt
The first rule of negotiating a price is make the other guy say a number first.

Have you ever seen the tv show Pawn Stars?

Basically they are hoping you offer something more than they would sell for.

If I have a chest worth 3 chaos and someone offers me 5, I can sell it for more than had I advertised it for 3.

When forced to say a price first just low ball the hell out of it initially.
Usually when I'm posting, I post a bunch of low level items. I can either spend 15 minutes pricing them all, or wait for someone to actually be interested in one. If you offer me 1c I'm not going to be offended, I'll look at the item and either say yes, or "Sorry, I was looking for more like X for this."

All in all I'm more likely to get lower values for my items this way, but frankly spending time on playing rather than trading is worth it to me.

It kinda saddens me to read through this thread. Like everything else on this forum, so many people think that the way they do things is the "right way" and everyone else is doing it wrong...
If someone says "offer" I add them to my ignore list.

Imagine getting to the check out stand in a grocery store and them just saying to you,"offer". Of course you would low ball them only a retard would offer full price or more value with the table left wide open. The economies of online games are full of greedy little shits who thik rares of the quality I would vendor are worth 5-10 chaos.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe
IGN: DarkenedSoui
"
ShaeG wrote:
If someone says "offer" I add them to my ignore list.

Imagine getting to the check out stand in a grocery store and them just saying to you,"offer". Of course you would low ball them only a retard would offer full price or more value with the table left wide open. The economies of online games are full of greedy little shits who thik rares of the quality I would vendor are worth 5-10 chaos.

goes into candystore "hi id like that lolipop youve there with strawberry flavour"
response from cashier "offer?"
"
Zaqwert wrote:

If I have a chest worth 3 chaos and someone offers me 5, I can sell it for more than had I advertised it for 3.

i LOVE pawn stars (mostly for the history aspect of the items) but that show is my point here too, i wish it more like that in game.

They say, what do you want for it and the person has a price in mind. They are selling their item to the Pawn Shop. Pawn Stars is the buyers and asks the price. No one walks into the store and says "offer."

I am a casual player and the only reason i PM people after a find on poe.xyz is because i dont want to pay 7 chaos for an item that is worth 2chaos to the seller. And someone else made a comment here about searching poe.xyz...this entire thread is about my point....every shop i come across has no prices. The ones that do, are for high end items that everyone knows should be 1exalt or more (astral plate with str, armor, life, 2 resists, over 1200-1500 armor), known uniques, 5 and 6 links.

When I have a lvl 40 something character trying to get through cruel with lvl 20 something rings or armor/boots/gloves, ill search on poe.xyz for leveling gear. Some people want 10chaos-1exalt for low level stuff. Other people are cool and only want 1-5 chaos for an item. Im just sick of asking people what they want and they dont answer, they say "offer." I ASKED YOU BECAUSE I WANT TO KNOW YOUR BUY OUT
Not playing anymore. It was a fun ride since 2013!! I just browse the forum now. ~~~~~ "We are spiritual beings having a human experience, not the other way around." ~~~~~"All that you are is the sum of all your thoughts."
Last edited by damaxxerous on Dec 20, 2013, 12:02:06 PM
"
Zaqwert wrote:

That works in pawn stars because, for one, those guys literally live on their ability to haggle, and two, because a pawn shop scenario is not an equal playing field for both parties. Someone going to a Vegas pawn shop is just looking for quick cash, and the pawn dealer always has the upper hand. He can manipulate the transaction in whatever way he wants because the seller lives in an economy that doesn't revolve around bartering, but the buyer does.

The poe economy does not function like this. Everyone is "living" in a barter economy to begin with, nobody inherently has an upper hand in 99% of the transactions. You gain that upper hand by being the aggressor and setting the bar for what you're willing to pay or what you're willing to take for an item.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
"
If we offer 1-3 chaos and you want 7, tell us.

If you offer 1 chaos for an item which tends to have a net worth of 7 chaos then you probably don't know prices. It also means that you are much less likely to actually pay that 7 chaos since you offered so much lower. Me replying to you wastes my time with a low chance of it paying off - why should I reply and waste effort on you?

"
JahIthBer89 wrote:

That works in pawn stars because, for one, those guys literally live on their ability to haggle, and two, because a pawn shop scenario is not an equal playing field for both parties. Someone going to a Vegas pawn shop is just looking for quick cash, and the pawn dealer always has the upper hand. He can manipulate the transaction in whatever way he wants because the seller lives in an economy that doesn't revolve around bartering, but the buyer does.

The poe economy does not function like this. Everyone is "living" in a barter economy to begin with, nobody inherently has an upper hand in 99% of the transactions. You gain that upper hand by being the aggressor and setting the bar for what you're willing to pay or what you're willing to take for an item.

Except it works exactly like that: the seller doesn't have to sell shit to you - he doesn't really lose anything if he doesn't sell it to you. Items in this game can have huge variance in price just because somebody doesn't know the price of an item so it is a completely valid argument. If you set the bar you're already on the backfoot when selling as they'll try to haggle it lower. Or your bar is set higher than it's worth and they'll just stop being interested. The item has to be really good for this to work out, which means any of this <2 ex shit isn't even worth talking about.

If you ask me for a price and I reply to that you will NEVER get the item from me for less than what I answered. If you want to haggle then do so when I say "offer", otherwise you can just stop bothering me.
@Aelloon
Last edited by Aelloon on Dec 20, 2013, 12:11:26 PM
"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
"
Zaqwert wrote:

You gain the upper hand by knowing what other people have offered before for similar items.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
Schinski wrote:
Im just ignoring ppl who ask "how much?", i dont make pc's for randoms who pm 100 ppl to see which one sells the item for cheapest price :)

easy as that

I ask how much because poe.xyz will give me 10-99 results and then i try to pick which ones i like best. I start to pm the sellers and some of the shops are months old. I might run into one of the ass hole players (i dont play standard anymore, youre a noob, im not selling it even tho i have it in stash, fuck off), or the player doesnt play the game anymore.

I can send 11 pms and only get 2-3 replies in a timely manner for me wanting to use the item. I ask how much because YOU HAVE A SHOP. You are selling and YOU decided the item worth enough not to vendor, give, or make part of a recipe to vendors.

I ask how much because I dont want to offer 1-3 chaos when you want 7 (i might have 7), then youre stupidly and ignorantly offended and refuse to do business. But if i ask how much, you say 7 and ill pay that...then it becomes easy and everyone is happy.
Not playing anymore. It was a fun ride since 2013!! I just browse the forum now. ~~~~~ "We are spiritual beings having a human experience, not the other way around." ~~~~~"All that you are is the sum of all your thoughts."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info