Barrage Wonder Wanderer – how to DEMOLISH maps (1.3.X)

"
BoswerLK wrote:
"
woodyfly wrote:
Isn't the ranger start better?

+2% attack speed
-3% move speed
+20% accuracy
+same projectile damage (24%)

I have a level 74 LA ranger which I think i'm gonna spec out of. Even with really good gear, she's rather MEH and this looks more faceroll. The nodes are very similar since I'm also running a crit build, will probably need 20 regrets or so.

sort of. shadow can get the 2 nodes in the other exit, for 16% spell damage each. but if you're strapped for points, yeah, ranger

Since I went ranger, what should I use those 2 points on?
So I'm playing this build since I think lvl 24 (people who say that it isn't viable in low levels, you're so so wrong!) and I've been stomping my way through enemies until lvl 55 (my current level). Now it's actually pretty hard to stay alive as I haven't specced much into life yet. I can see why people say that the hardest levels for this build are 50-60.

Anyway, as I'm a newbie to "lategame" POE, I'm really curious if these wands I'm using are any good?

As insecure as I am about my own opinions as I'm a newbie, isn't crit chance for spells good to have on your wands? Because it has a chance to trigger a second and further EK after the initial EK? Because my EK has a pretty big chance to crit with 92% crit chance for spells? Or am I thinking the wrong way?

Would a 95 % spelldmg wand with 27% crit chance, 1.30 total attackspeed and 200 accuracy rating be a good upgrade for the
? Or should I look for wands with more attackspeed and maybe crit multiplier or critchance for spells?

Thanks much! Vossevos
"
feyith wrote:
"
Bars wrote:
Doesn't it drain your mana almost immediately? How can you sustain that without EB?

Mind Drinker + high physical damage. :)

Hmmm... Mind Drinker provides Mana Leech to physical attack damage. Ethereal knives is a spell, not attack, so you are only leeching mana based on physical damage from Barrage, which is very low in this build.
So i Dont see how Mind Drinker could sustain anything ;P let alone Arctic Armor.
I'm a bow build. Was just popping in for the CwDT discussion. :)

"
woodyfly wrote:

That 18% Evasion node is really good.
Last edited by feyith on Mar 23, 2014, 9:37:29 PM
"
EpicDaddy wrote:
How is this wand for the build? Is the spell damage just not good enough for late game? I've been using it in act 1 merciless and it seems to work well.

the wand is great. you can get your increased damage sources from elsewhere. it's got max crit chance and a crit multi roll on it, which is more important for late game dps since it's multiplicative (though you'll need more defense to not kill yourself). very hard to upgrade from that, besides more spell damage and ias/spell crit roll

"
woodyfly wrote:
"
BoswerLK wrote:
"
woodyfly wrote:
Isn't the ranger start better?

+2% attack speed
-3% move speed
+20% accuracy
+same projectile damage (24%)

I have a level 74 LA ranger which I think i'm gonna spec out of. Even with really good gear, she's rather MEH and this looks more faceroll. The nodes are very similar since I'm also running a crit build, will probably need 20 regrets or so.

sort of. shadow can get the 2 nodes in the other exit, for 16% spell damage each. but if you're strapped for points, yeah, ranger

whatever you want. my ranger was only very loosely based on the guide. I got a bunch more life, evade, dropped vp and got regen, got a ton of int and mana nodes, and was reaching for the witch flask nodes for +13 max res from flasks for endgame map bosses
lol I just spececd to this from my LA ranger and HAHAHA.. this is so overpowered. It's does like 10x more dps than my LA ranger

My problem right now is reflect. I need to polish up my flasks/codt
Last edited by woodyfly on Mar 23, 2014, 9:46:32 PM
Just hit merciless... still using 2h Spectral Throw, it's still working just fine in act 1 though Cast on Crit is probably better already. I'm going to make the switch no later than level 57 which will make me able to wear a cheap 5L body armor I was able to scrap up with my very limited resources. Expecting this to shape up to be really good when I make the switch.

One thing that's awesome about this build that I'm going to do is -- I can buy daggers and wands and experiment with both Spectral Throw and Barrage. If it turns out I do prefer Spectral Throw for some reason, I'm basically on the right path for another popular build and I can just go to the Dagger Crit nodes without spending a single respec point. It's cool that it will only cost like 25 regrets to switch between and endgame wand and dagger cast on crit build.

The only deviation from the builds that I took is taking 8% IAS instead of Skill Point or Physical damage from the bandit quest, but that is due to my 1) wanting to try Ele spells 2) wanting to try LMP or GMP which accentuates the slight annimation lock effect of Barrage, making IAS more important to me for reasons other than pure DPS, it's sort of an animation/survivability/playstyle preference factor 3) if I regret the IAS, then I'm not any worse taking back 2 skill points from the +12% IAS from dual wield area, and having 1 more skill point and -4% IAS -2% dual wield block. If a skill point is an acceptable choice, so is 8% ias in terms of opportunity cost. Though I will probably regret not taking the phys damage if I fall in love with EK.

The biggest problem I'm going to have, and the advantage of the Dagger build is, I think, survivability due to a couple problems I'm facing immmediately and that crit gear won't alleviate without being a lot wealthier than I am. First, Barrage is really point blank and Spectral Throw is long range... second, the dagger option is way less stressed to get stat points and +crit%, and can way more easily equip rings and amulets with resist, life, survivability stuff while maintaining good enough critspam against packs. That's my only worry, as I have very crap gear and am very fragile right now. However, dagger/spectral throw has its own problems, like single target damage. I'll be able to get a more informed idea of what I will prefer once I'm able to try both weapon types with good gear and a lot more levels... that's a long way away... right now I just need to get from 1.7k HP and negative resists to 3.5k HP and decent resists through scraping together some passable gear and getting more life nodes through levels. My gear is worth less than 5 chaos not counting gems, then it's worth 7-8 chaos lol. I might take 16% chaos, 6% all element nodes, since I'm so poor. (May keep the chaos node if I can get away with it somehow, as I'm having a harder time finding chaos resist).

I will probably use dagger instead of wands until I am less wretchedly poor, in part to help with the transition to Cast on Crit from pure phys ST, since dagger CoC is ST based and deals some physical damage, and also for the above reasons. I plan to go after some decent wands as soon as I can afford okayish gear like a low end Rat's Nest. The good thing is the switch should be as simple as unequip daggers, unequip ST and Ice spear, equip barrage and EK, transfer gems from daggers to wands. No respec needed, I just need to make sure I keep leveling Ice Spear and EK since EK makes way more sense to me when used with barrage and ice spear when used with ST, but we'll see.
Last edited by Zomb1ek1ller on Mar 23, 2014, 11:42:14 PM
Oh man, Blind is useful tech for surviving act 1 merciless when you have no resists, 1.8k hp and are completely broke. It lets you face tank anything that is melee based in combination with life leech. It's also how I dealt with dominus phase 2 on cruel. I will use something much more unfair for survivability once I switch to cast on crit though...
Last edited by Zomb1ek1ller on Mar 23, 2014, 11:19:39 PM
Is it better to use a low level or high level CWDT + Immortal call? I keep dying to phys reflect...
Last edited by woodyfly on Mar 24, 2014, 12:25:12 AM
"
woodyfly wrote:
What's the most optimal level for cwdt with immortal call?

I run it opposite of the norm though. I prefer to have IC go off first so I keep the end charges for mitigation. .38s is more than enough to wipe out most packs, and more importantly to block the other 39 hits of reflect from a 4 EK proc. and if something is so badass to still be alive after 0.38s? then I get the end charges expended immediately anyways for 2-3 seconds of phys immune...after the end charges do their job to mitigate another 12% of whatever damage from the single hit I do take

usually you just keep the end charges for the next pack. free damage mitigation is good

if you're gonna go for a long IC immediately then it's just a matter of keeping the activation damage lower than the amount of life you'd have left after a worst case scenario reflect

e.g. if first hit crit double reflect vuln does 3.5k to you and have you have 4k hp, keep cwdt activation <500, in case something happens and you take the reflect on not full hp for whatever reason

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info