The Frozen Dagger (ST/CoC - Self found, noob friendly) [Gameplay Videos]

If you have ~150 chromes, rolling GGG+XX on the Voll's shouldn't be problematic. I think I rolled mine in 80-ish.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
tiemo94 wrote:
"
EpicDaddy wrote:
The current build looks pretty inefficient to me. So many point are spent going to the witch and increasing maximum mana in order to sustain 3 auras that I think its MUCH better to go iron reflexes and full life.

Here's the build I came up:

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgYAAAYEfgSxBX0F-Q5ID8QRlhXwFfYWvxmKGo8j9iQ8JJ0k_SaVJ6kppS2DL282ezpYO3xJO0lRSn1MYE4qUzVVS1bqVvpaSFptW69d8l76YeJiWmJ5YqxjQ2egbWxte3BScFZwu3DVfXV_xocZh3aH24hCjDaP-pAbk_yVZpcGmhObtZ2jnaqio6c0p1yuz7Q4tKO1SLjKu-PAUcHFxKLQ7tN-1QDVT9ad2RPb1N0N3nfjhOUZ51Trju4O73rv8PId8-r22vej-wn79fyr_MX-ug==

With this build, drop discipline aura and just run 2 auras, in order to sustain mana. The increased life that this build gets makes up for the loss in ES. If you have the right gear, you can still possibly run a 3rd aura.

Then, the major changes are:

8% less attack speed
1 less power charge
24% less spell damage from 6 power charges
180% more increased critical strike chance
iron Reflexes
16% more accuracy and 100 more accuracy rating

With a 9% crit dagger, you pretty much get CAPPED 95% crit chance, plus iron reflexes is a pretty nice boost in survivability.

for me your build looks pretty inefficient. you say you want to go full life ? i don't see full life my friend, because you missed some life notes (54% life). you also missed 36% ES notes. less survivability with your build, because you don't get flask effect notes (that means also less resistances., less evasion, less armour, less movement speed and less hp recovery from flasks), Hp/Es notes and you want to drop discipline. discipline gives us with all the increased effect aura notes a very good shield. or do you really want to drop a 2k+ energy shield ? don't forget, we can spam our potions, so iron reflexes is not a need. why should we drop evasion for armour if we can have both at a high point all the time ? also if you get my setup you get 3 seconds immortal call when you get 440 damage everytime, because you always have 3 end. charges all the time with voll's devotion. but most of the time i don't really get damage (only from spell dmg) because i have 60% chance to evade and 59% block chance + those 60%+ phys damage reduction, and still got enough damage to clear very fast. so i don't understand why iron reflexes + crit chance route. it will give you less survivability + less spell damage + less atk speed with this build. and even with my 76% crit chance i crit all the time. so maybe think about it twice before you say ''pretty inefficient'' to jugglas build. ;)

if you want to see my stats, gear and setup go on page 21.

im running this build on lv. 79 corrupted maps so i know what im talking about (juggla will also do something like that because we talked about that):

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBBH4EsQX5CPQOSA5cD8QQdBEvEVARlhXwFr8ZihqPGtsc3B2qHpQj9iQ8JP0mlSepLR8tgy9vMYg6WDt8RX5GcUlRSn1MYEyzUDBTNVVLVvpaSFptXfJfKmHiYqxjQ2egbRltbG17cFJwVnC7cNV5A311f8aDCYcZh3aH24hCi3qMNpAbkyeT_JVmlwaZmpoTm7Wdo52qoqOnK6dcrD-uz7QMtDi1SLb3uMq748BRwFTBxcHzxKLTftUA1U_WndkT217b1NxX3nfhiOOE5RnnVOtj647r5O4O7_DyHfPq9tr7Cfv1_Kv8xf66

Please look at Juggla's post to see the right way to respond. I'm not saying my build is gonna tailor perfectly to the way you play and the items you have. (i.e voll's devotion) Yes, the way you have your character set up, my build IS inefficient.

Also, please don't post a 117 point lvl 100 build for comparison...I specifically stated comparisons between the original build in the thread and mine. If I was doing a lvl 100 build, I would of course change the way its built. This is simply an alternative build to the one posted by the OP.

There's no way you are getting 2k ES from discipline alone, so I don't understand how going life and disregarding ES/discipline is a 2k loss in ES. Also iron reflexes is a matter of opinion. For me, it does provide more survivability because it stabilizes defense/hits taken, but you can also easily spec out of it if you prefer to. I do agree with your flask effect node points, that is a nice boost.

I know the lvl 82 stats posted at the beginning of the thread are out of date, but at lvl 82, I would be at around 4.7k life with my full life stacked gear. (I'm curious to see what the updated stats are, because this life total is certainly higher than the posted 1.8K life + 1.5k ES). I think average life gear can easily hit 4k life. So I don't see how dropping the ES means way less survivability at all. I think for most people, just going pure life on gear would be easier, and even out to about the same life total.

When I said inefficient, I didn't mean that the original build with the right character was inferior, I meant that the entire build could be much more simplified and still achieve the same output. For the majority of people, it's much easier to only stack life and not have to worry about high crit chance on their gear because the tree already provides so much. And by dropping an aura, there is no more concern about mana/ mana regen on gear. Also, iron reflexes simplifies things further, as it doesn't matter whether your items are armour/evasion base. I'm sure having the optimal items and setup would require changing my build to something closer to the original, but I think my build is definitely a lot easier for the majority of players.
IGN: kaizary
I was wondering.. How do you deal with Lightning Thorns?
IGN: @tagames
"
EpicDaddy wrote:
"
tiemo94 wrote:
"
EpicDaddy wrote:
The current build looks pretty inefficient to me. So many point are spent going to the witch and increasing maximum mana in order to sustain 3 auras that I think its MUCH better to go iron reflexes and full life.

Here's the build I came up:

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgYAAAYEfgSxBX0F-Q5ID8QRlhXwFfYWvxmKGo8j9iQ8JJ0k_SaVJ6kppS2DL282ezpYO3xJO0lRSn1MYE4qUzVVS1bqVvpaSFptW69d8l76YeJiWmJ5YqxjQ2egbWxte3BScFZwu3DVfXV_xocZh3aH24hCjDaP-pAbk_yVZpcGmhObtZ2jnaqio6c0p1yuz7Q4tKO1SLjKu-PAUcHFxKLQ7tN-1QDVT9ad2RPb1N0N3nfjhOUZ51Trju4O73rv8PId8-r22vej-wn79fyr_MX-ug==

With this build, drop discipline aura and just run 2 auras, in order to sustain mana. The increased life that this build gets makes up for the loss in ES. If you have the right gear, you can still possibly run a 3rd aura.

Then, the major changes are:

8% less attack speed
1 less power charge
24% less spell damage from 6 power charges
180% more increased critical strike chance
iron Reflexes
16% more accuracy and 100 more accuracy rating

With a 9% crit dagger, you pretty much get CAPPED 95% crit chance, plus iron reflexes is a pretty nice boost in survivability.

for me your build looks pretty inefficient. you say you want to go full life ? i don't see full life my friend, because you missed some life notes (54% life). you also missed 36% ES notes. less survivability with your build, because you don't get flask effect notes (that means also less resistances., less evasion, less armour, less movement speed and less hp recovery from flasks), Hp/Es notes and you want to drop discipline. discipline gives us with all the increased effect aura notes a very good shield. or do you really want to drop a 2k+ energy shield ? don't forget, we can spam our potions, so iron reflexes is not a need. why should we drop evasion for armour if we can have both at a high point all the time ? also if you get my setup you get 3 seconds immortal call when you get 440 damage everytime, because you always have 3 end. charges all the time with voll's devotion. but most of the time i don't really get damage (only from spell dmg) because i have 60% chance to evade and 59% block chance + those 60%+ phys damage reduction, and still got enough damage to clear very fast. so i don't understand why iron reflexes + crit chance route. it will give you less survivability + less spell damage + less atk speed with this build. and even with my 76% crit chance i crit all the time. so maybe think about it twice before you say ''pretty inefficient'' to jugglas build. ;)

if you want to see my stats, gear and setup go on page 21.

im running this build on lv. 79 corrupted maps so i know what im talking about (juggla will also do something like that because we talked about that):

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBBH4EsQX5CPQOSA5cD8QQdBEvEVARlhXwFr8ZihqPGtsc3B2qHpQj9iQ8JP0mlSepLR8tgy9vMYg6WDt8RX5GcUlRSn1MYEyzUDBTNVVLVvpaSFptXfJfKmHiYqxjQ2egbRltbG17cFJwVnC7cNV5A311f8aDCYcZh3aH24hCi3qMNpAbkyeT_JVmlwaZmpoTm7Wdo52qoqOnK6dcrD-uz7QMtDi1SLb3uMq748BRwFTBxcHzxKLTftUA1U_WndkT217b1NxX3nfhiOOE5RnnVOtj647r5O4O7_DyHfPq9tr7Cfv1_Kv8xf66

Please look at Juggla's post to see the right way to respond. I'm not saying my build is gonna tailor perfectly to the way you play and the items you have. (i.e voll's devotion) Yes, the way you have your character set up, my build IS inefficient.

Also, please don't post a 117 point lvl 100 build for comparison...I specifically stated comparisons between the original build in the thread and mine. If I was doing a lvl 100 build, I would of course change the way its built. This is simply an alternative build to the one posted by the OP.

There's no way you are getting 2k ES from discipline alone, so I don't understand how going life and disregarding ES/discipline is a 2k loss in ES. Also iron reflexes is a matter of opinion. For me, it does provide more survivability because it stabilizes defense/hits taken, but you can also easily spec out of it if you prefer to. I do agree with your flask effect node points, that is a nice boost.

I know the lvl 82 stats posted at the beginning of the thread are out of date, but at lvl 82, I would be at around 4.7k life with my full life stacked gear. (I'm curious to see what the updated stats are, because this life total is certainly higher than the posted 1.8K life + 1.5k ES). I think average life gear can easily hit 4k life. So I don't see how dropping the ES means way less survivability at all. I think for most people, just going pure life on gear would be easier, and even out to about the same life total.

When I said inefficient, I didn't mean that the original build with the right character was inferior, I meant that the entire build could be much more simplified and still achieve the same output. For the majority of people, it's much easier to only stack life and not have to worry about high crit chance on their gear because the tree already provides so much. And by dropping an aura, there is no more concern about mana/ mana regen on gear. Also, iron reflexes simplifies things further, as it doesn't matter whether your items are armour/evasion base. I'm sure having the optimal items and setup would require changing my build to something closer to the original, but I think my build is definitely a lot easier for the majority of players.

i'm sorry, i was acting over the top. i thought you wanted to say that jugglas build is bad and overall inefficient and i also had a bad day. and i just wanted to defend him because he teached me alot and the game is so much fun for me because of him. it's all a matter of opinion/taste what build we are using. that's so great about Path of Exile, we can be very creative. i can't count how many times ES was saving me, it's really great and i like it. i like it also to have more than just hp/armour. i have life, armour, evasion and energy shield. and you like it to go hp/armour, that's ok and i respect that because that's the way you like to play and have fun with. yes, i could imagine that some people would have less problems with your way, like people who started with poe. and sure, your build got also his positiv aspect like more crit and more armour. in some situations i wish i would have more crit chance. again, im sorry that i was so unrespectful to you, it will not happen again, i promise :))

im interested in seeing your gear + setup, like i did on page 21. and how would your lv. 100 build look like ? i would appreciate it and maybe i will also learn something from you :)
"
TAgames wrote:
I was wondering.. How do you deal with Lightning Thorns?

You don't. And by that i do not mean you skip them. You have 1 of 2 options to deal with them.

1) the most efficient is to pop all your defensive flasks, Whirling blades in and 1 shot the caster(s). If this isn't possible then continue to 2 -->

2) The mages that cast thorns only cast them on their allies that are close to an enemy (about 2x melee range give or take). All you have to do is kite out the blackguards and thorns will never appear. This includes taking off any totems or minions you may have. If I run into a map littered with blackguards I just flat out take off my skeles/totem for the whole map.
Check out my Frozen Dagger build in the Shadow forums!!
"
tiemo94 wrote:
i already tested lgoh. problem is that you could have problems with your mana and lgoh doesn't help you in all situations. that's why i choosed a third spell and stacked much life. you shouldn't have problem with reflect or lightning thorns. use flasks for reflect and go melee when you see lightning thorns. :)

so you should try to get GGGBB. you will be happy when have 2 spells linked, trust me ^^

I'm actually pretty happy with it right now. :) Instead of projectile supports, I'm using Ethereal Knives and Arc or Cold Snap. (Slightly different build with Barrage, so I don't know if the same setup would work with ST or not.) I seem able to be more aggressive with that little bit of a life buffer than adding more spells.
"
feyith wrote:
"
tiemo94 wrote:
i already tested lgoh. problem is that you could have problems with your mana and lgoh doesn't help you in all situations. that's why i choosed a third spell and stacked much life. you shouldn't have problem with reflect or lightning thorns. use flasks for reflect and go melee when you see lightning thorns. :)

so you should try to get GGGBB. you will be happy when have 2 spells linked, trust me ^^

I'm actually pretty happy with it right now. :) Instead of projectile supports, I'm using Ethereal Knives and Arc or Cold Snap. (Slightly different build with Barrage, so I don't know if the same setup would work with ST or not.) I seem able to be more aggressive with that little bit of a life buffer than adding more spells.

im glad to hear that it works for you and that you are happy with it ^^ yes, i think it's because your build and setup are slightly different.

would it be ok if you post your build and gear ? so people can see your version and maybe get some ideas :)
"

i'm sorry, i was acting over the top. i thought you wanted to say that jugglas build is bad and overall inefficient and i also had a bad day. and i just wanted to defend him because he teached me alot and the game is so much fun for me because of him. it's all a matter of opinion/taste what build we are using. that's so great about Path of Exile, we can be very creative. i can't count how many times ES was saving me, it's really great and i like it. i like it also to have more than just hp/armour. i have life, armour, evasion and energy shield. and you like it to go hp/armour, that's ok and i respect that because that's the way you like to play and have fun with. yes, i could imagine that some people would have less problems with your way, like people who started with poe. and sure, your build got also his positiv aspect like more crit and more armour. in some situations i wish i would have more crit chance. again, im sorry that i was so unrespectful to you, it will not happen again, i promise :))

im interested in seeing your gear + setup, like i did on page 21. and how would your lv. 100 build look like ? i would appreciate it and maybe i will also learn something from you :)

It's alright, I should have probably explained what I meant by inefficient. Both builds are very strong and fully functional, one is just very streamlined while the other uses a variety of mechanics.

As for my gear, it's really simple: every piece has super high life (70-99) and as much resists as possible. This is the most popular type of gear in path of exile, so its really easy to find and pretty inexpensive. For daggers, I don't have the right ones yet, but I would get two with 1.5 APS, around 8.5-9% crit chance and some spell damage if possible. That should pretty much give me all the crit I need.

If i was to extend my build to lvl 100, I would probably go to the witch area to grab life and the flask effect nodes. But, I never really designed the build to go to 100, so that would not be optimal. I like to have my builds end at mid 80s, because I know I won't be getting much further than that. :)
IGN: kaizary
Last edited by EpicDaddy on Mar 15, 2014, 9:09:57 PM
"
It's alright, I should have probably explained what I meant by inefficient. Both builds are very strong and fully functional, one is just very streamlined while the other uses a variety of mechanics.

As for my gear, it's really simple: every piece has super high life (70-99) and as much resists as possible. This is the most popular type of gear in path of exile, so its really easy to find and pretty inexpensive. For daggers, I don't have the right ones yet, but I would get two with 1.5 APS, around 8.5-9% crit chance and some spell damage if possible. That should pretty much give me all the crit I need.

If i was to extend my build to lvl 100, I would probably go to the witch area to grab life and the flask effect nodes. But, I never really designed the build to go to 100, so that would not be optimal. I like to have my builds end at mid 80s, because I know I won't be getting much further than that. :)

thanks ^^

yes, i also stacked as much hp as possible :) i have on every item (except weapons and chest) 70+ Hp, on my amulet 30+ hp and some good res. on my gear. i was also thinking about to get other daggers. problems are, i loose my 59% blockchance and need to be careful with spell dmg, because if i do to much damage i would maybe have problems with reflect. also there aren't really good daggers out there with the colours RRR. so if i get rare daggers then with high crit (9+) and high atk speed (1.80). :)

i know that feeling... it's getting pretty hard after 85. I'm currently lv. 88 and it's hard to get high maps so that you can get fast and good exp. but i will try to get to lv. 100 :)
I will not be updating this for an unknown amount of time. I burnt up my GPU and have to use an old one I had laying around for the moment. Well, needless to say, an old gpu barely runs the game as is and certainly can't handle all the pretty graphical effects that this build give us. I should be able to replace my card soon but I do not know when. So, off to play with some new builds for now.

In the mean time I will continue to check this thread and answer any questions/comments.
Check out my Frozen Dagger build in the Shadow forums!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info