First Developer Video! - Erik Talks Art about Items and Act 3x

"
Hm.

Even though I really like the insight, I think you should be careful with what you upload and not. The whole video feels unprofessional, simply due to the face the speaker(sorry man :( )just isn't presentable. His voice is monotone/boring, he looks in the camera like he's being forced into this.. And that is only understandable. Presenting is not something that comes natural. It's something you learn, something you have to put effort in.

Take a look at League of Legends, each person in their video's, no matter which person is in it, has a completely different vibe. The way they stand, look, talk. It's all more natural, not distracting from the rest of the video.
I don't know the details, but I am pretty sure they actually have a special training before they are allowed to be in a video.

Like I said, I would call this video unprofessional. Something I wouldn't bat my eye for a couple of months ago. But since you are getting bigger and bigger, I think this is really something you need to look into. Video's like these are the ones you send out to the outside world, the ones people might see, and have their first impression on. So better make sure they are good as hell, downright to every little detail.

Totally do not agree with this. I've already stated why I didn't like the video, but the person is not the problem with it.

If you are going to continue with "developer talks" type of videos it's only natural that the ones who do the talking are actual developers. I don't care for presenters marketing to me or hot "nerdy" chicks narrating shit. That's everywhere and it's boring as hell. Just make sure you got the content and the idea right for the target audience (and I would think the target audience for these types of videos should be people already playing the game, who want that little extra insight or tidbit of info, and not "other people that might see it". For those types we have marketing trailers and all that stuff that I wouldn't want to watch)
GGG is still a small group of developers. Keep in mind they have no dedicated video team afaik.
LoL has a wider reach as we can see with the CGI quality they provide.
There are editing improvements in that video. That's great.
And most of the budget is focused on the game development. That video was shot before release (countdown on the screen), that alone says a lot.

Keep it coming GGG ;)
IGN: Bourrinopathe | UTC +4
Last edited by Bourrinopathe on Dec 4, 2013, 7:25:33 AM
Sorry, but it's just as bad as the "Release" video. Basically 0 insight. 1 1/2 mins..

It would be awesome to see how the developer talks about (at least) few challenges they're/'ve facing/ed, etc. The dilemmas, etc.. This game is so much in depth, but the videos (release and this one) are just terrible, why? It might be that the better stuff is left for future episodes, but let me say - first episode is what matters A LOT, but this was a complete miss, at least to me.

"I accept Nujabes as my Savior."
Last edited by 1988288 on Dec 4, 2013, 7:37:35 AM
His face at the end...lol
Definitely would like to see more!
"Out of every unique I found so far (20+) all of them are fucking junk to a point that even the vendor tells me to shove em up my ass." - DarkKane

"All hack'n'slash games are based on the carrot on the stick 'method', and in PoE's case the stick is so long I can't even see the carrot." - Odoakar
"
Evlesoa wrote:
Definitely would like to see more!

And much longer vid, showing work in progress and skills behind the development process.
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3
Well, a bit disappointed, to be honest. I'd really like to see some inside stuff, and I don't care about "professional videos", it's good to see the real people and not an actor.

But, it is very short and provides very few information...
I was hoping for some progress presentation, concept art, drawings, ideas, high res details, things we usually don't see in the final game. They are totally lacking.

What I got is:
- slo-mo of Brutus
- Erik introducing himself
- a picture of his working place (probably cleaned up, who knows...)
- some short ingame scenes and screenshots

While I am thankful, that you decided to share this interesting stuff, but well... only a teaser.
Dynamit,
Architekturkritik, die man tatsächlich sieht!

Farin Urlaub
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nz5q9
Last edited by Wraeklops on Dec 4, 2013, 10:41:21 AM
Hi

Wraeklops
"
What I got is:
- slo-mo of Brutus
- Erik introducing himself
- a picture of his working place (probably cleaned up, who knows...)
- some short ingame scenes and screenshots

While I am thankful, that you decided to share this interesting stuff, but well... only a teaser.

Definitely a teaser, maybe add some humor instead of monotone:P or even some actual information about art and items(the process?) instead of just mentioning that they make items look real, feel like it was more advertisement then discussion, perhaps POE Dev's could start a limited time question thread and they choose 5 questions from list later and discuss these points in a video with dev?

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
Maybe I missed this but the title of this sounds misleading. What about act 3x was mentioned in this video?
"
Roleplayer wrote:

Totally do not agree with this. I've already stated why I didn't like the video, but the person is not the problem with it.

If you are going to continue with "developer talks" type of videos it's only natural that the ones who do the talking are actual developers. I don't care for presenters marketing to me or hot "nerdy" chicks narrating shit. That's everywhere and it's boring as hell. Just make sure you got the content and the idea right for the target audience (and I would think the target audience for these types of videos should be people already playing the game, who want that little extra insight or tidbit of info, and not "other people that might see it". For those types we have marketing trailers and all that stuff that I wouldn't want to watch)

Ah yes, I was not aiming for them to get some nerdy girl or some chick with boobs flying all across the screen to do the talking. The devs themselves are fine. I have no problem with the person doing so, I even encourage the devs themselves to do these vids!
Though, like I said in my post, this video just felt downright unprofessional. Something highly unfitting for GGG, I really think their overall attitude is beyond that. Seeing this video, kinda felt like a let down.

Also, if it's being done "everywhere", usually indicates that it works. It might be "boring"(I honestly think these vids are less boring, since a professional talker has the skill to keep the attention of their audience)

I know GGG is a small company, and that they are growing. But let's be honest. They have launched a successful game, got over one million users, etc etc. And they are growing right now. I mean, they mentioned they picked up a few members to do the many emails they got. So, in my opinion, this is the next logical step. Fine-tuning presentation.
After all, it is a very important factor, especially on the internet, where the attention span of the average user is equal to a potato. I mean, come on. How many people do you think will be reading this post? You, me, maybe an occasional bystander, but most people will probably think "ain't nobody got time fo' dat", and look for the tl;dr.
Not only that, if you want to get a message across internet users, it needs to be presented simple and clear. If you don't, chances are, you will be losing customers. Well, customers actually reading/seeing the message you wanted to get across.

So yeah, I really like the initiative, but I think this would be better if the presentation was. Again, just my opinion ;)

Don't get me wrong, I was not trying to flame GGG or Erik or the game. I was just trying to give some feedback - things I noticed, things I missed. Whether they agree with me, is up to them of course :)
I am a nice guy.
Looking for cheap builds/builds for beginners? Check out one of my guides! /806789

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info