Sony servers are restarting now. They should be back up in approximately .
Sony servers are undergoing maintenance. Some features will be unavailable.

So Kripparian says melee "sucks" in late game...

well i have been playing dualist 2 handed solo through normal and cruel i dont find it to be at a disadvantage if you have the right comp build. :D
sexy and i know it ;)
"
lunawolf wrote:
normal and cruel

Last edited by Ticha on Jan 20, 2013, 1:34:09 PM
"
EpsiIon wrote:
"
allbusiness wrote:
"
prodiii wrote:
Around vendor patch and for like 2 patches after it melees were badly overpowered. I played slamming marauder those times. Well it was a lil bit more then a year ago so things changes. The funny thing was that before it the poison rangers were completly op and were smashed to ground with nerfs. Didnt play recently so cannot say much about now but you can have an insight how things can change in one patch. I wouldnt be really worried about melees. In the last interview with gamestop (from this week) i haerd from Chris that just after obt they will look into class balancing and what skills can be added to support builds. We all have to still wait for obt patch notes and then probably a month further :)

There was ONE specific build that melees were 'op' and yet still couldn't clear as fast nor with the same survivability as a CI / Cold Witch which is basically the staple money making character.

CI/FP witches also start out so much weaker then GS, it's almost amusing. GS looks like this -, CI looks like this, /.

Also, as I said, range will always be more efficient, as they can dump their dps into killing more mobs faster. The issue with melee, is they are basically unkillable if they so desire, but there is no efficient applicable sink that can equate to kill speed.

The funny part is, I don't remember any race (Besides totems) that had semi-serious competitors, where the ladder was not at least 60% melee.

Melee has the early game easier; end game content is completely dominated by ranged though and that's a fact. Melee has no chance of competing in end game content in terms of clear speed and surviving compared to a CI/Cold Witch with equal gear. With the most baller of gear, a CI/FP Witch basically laughs her ass off and blows through end game content (perma freezing everything while tanking with her ridic amount of ES) while a standard GS Marauder still has to be extremely careful end game of getting one shot by a increase crit dmg mob.

The discussion is mostly related towards end game; and really the big issue is that melee has alot less options than ranged, but I think Chris and the GGG staff is going to address that. Plus the OB is going to change alot soon, so we will see where things fall.
Last edited by allbusiness on Jan 20, 2013, 11:23:04 PM
"
Ticha wrote:
"
lunawolf wrote:
normal and cruel

Lmfao, merciless is where the big mula is at, no one cares about early game cause even the shttiest builds can get through them. But yea imo melee is lacking.
"FullyBlownDaddy"-FullBlownDaddy™
"FillBlownDaddy"-GGG
"FullBlownMommy"-Casual_Ascent
"
Lmfao, merciless is where the big mula is at, no one cares about early game cause even the shttiest builds can get through them. But yea imo melee is lacking.

If you've seen any of the Alpha streams, you'll notice that alpha/open beta is going to be a very different animal. "Shitty builds" won't be getting past cruel.
Procurement  : The Ultimate Exile's Companion!
Forum Thread : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172710/page/1
Github : https://github.com/Stickymaddness/Procurement/
In regards to what Kripp says, who gives a crap? Is he good at this game? sure. Does he have a good thought-train for theorycrafting specs? sure. Is he the end all be all? not even close...no-one is. You play what you want to play, regardless if someone says it "sucks". I enjoy melee, I enjoy ground slam, I enjoy all a majority of other melee skills and I will play melee.

Is melee gimped to ranged? No. Is melee more efficient than ranged? Depends on how you look at it. The bottomline, ranged will always be more safe and efficient than melee, that's just the nature of the beast. Does melee need a passive node or anything like that to be viable? No. It does need a few more skills, mainly better AOE skill though. This is well known and I'm sure GGG is working on it. Hell, even Chris said that melee is inferior to ranged right now so they have to be working on ways to fix it.

I mainly play melee and always will. It's just what I prefer. I enjoy ranged, but melee is more fun to me and that's why I play games..fun.

Bottomline, don't take what Kripp says as gospel. Just take a look at both ladders (default and hardcore), both number 1 spots are melee specs. Just play what you enjoy, that's what PoE is about. We are still in CB. OB is right around the corner, but still OB is "Beta". Things will be rebalanced over and and over again until GGG has everything the way they want it.
Once more into the fray, Into the last good fight I'll ever know, Live and die on this day, Live and die on this day IGN: Mastodon_The_Primeval

Last edited by Primeval_Mastodon on Jan 21, 2013, 7:57:40 PM
"
In regards to what Kripp says, who gives a sh*t? Is he good at this game? sure. Does he have a good thought-train for theorycrafting specs? sure. Is he the end all be all? not even close...no-one is. You play what you want to play, regardless if someone says it "sucks". I enjoy melee, I enjoy ground slam, I enjoy all a majority of other melee skills and I will play melee.

Is melee gimped to ranged? No. Is melee more efficient than ranged? Depends on how you look at it. The bottomline, ranged will always be more safe and efficient than melee, that's just the nature of the beast. Does melee need a passive node or anything like that to be viable? No. It does need a few more skills, mainly better AOE skill though. This is well known and I'm sure GGG is working on it. Hell, even Chris said that melee is inferior to ranged right now so they have to be working on ways to fix it.

I mainly play melee and always will. It's just what I prefer. I enjoy ranged, but melee is more fun to me and that's why I play games..fun.

Bottomline, don't take what Kripp says as gospel. Just take a look at both ladders (default and hardcore), both number 1 spots are melee specs. Just play what you enjoy, that's what PoE is about. We are still in CB. OB is right around the corner, but still OB is "Beta". Things will be rebalanced over and and over again until GGG has everything the way they want it.

Pretty much this, We can expect some melee/range changes come OB as is, but I really hope melee does get some of the holes it needs filled.

I wanted to do a 2H Ground slam hammer build, but may hafta roll ranged as my friends refuse to play with a useless toon x_X, and now they believe anything that isnt ranged is entirely uneeded in POE.
Last edited by darkcrab on Jan 21, 2013, 3:24:23 PM
Would be awesome if we can finally see OB patch notes .

In CRUEL/RUTHLESS i felt like a god , in merciless i`m strugling a bit but i thought it has to be that way , before i saw my friends BOW Marauder and his witch , w/o any extraordinary gear he was like godlike comparing it with my melee mara . And my build is just fine , most tany nodes LS+ chain , + wep ele dmg etc.

So in END game mellee is inferior to ranged in case of efficency , and efficency is everything , there is no fun killing mob one by one...

I rly hope that some GGG crew will read this topic.
IGN : FurioZZ
This krip person, why does he claim to be the best poe player of all time?
"
chrisc666 wrote:
This krip person, why does he claim to be the best poe player of all time?

he was at the time(as in few years back) and iirc his name is on the special thanks credit

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info