So Kripparian says melee "sucks" in late game...

.. can somebody who plays end game actually confirm that? I was not planing on playing a mace build, nor do i want to use lightning strike. my plan was to play that "true" melee-tanky-2h-marauder:
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL6gYah7ZYRkuJ-2sqnKpfNk62Ow4GjinhJBV8B8EswJxFE2iAKloVw3SIZ7NpzAUIFBHDjw6Ut-_hmBWBGFSn8tgiDIJKLXvTkCgBS1gS3rvdO0hYHTxnrkY20OcDq0ppVnzwBp8u8WKkc4UcXuMIQIq9iFVOQ73vi3Snz677aLqEuE=

video im refering to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLacQXMR5pI
Last edited by Robi_Wan on Jan 9, 2013, 1:14:03 PM
Well it's pretty much exactly like Kripp said and considering his immense insight into the game and its mechanics thats not really surprising.

A melee is in no way unplayable or something like that but it's hard, you generally have a harder time when mapping just due to being in melee range and there are certain mobs that totally screw you over.
I'm a big fan of LS so it doesn't bother me using it but I've got to say without the utility provided by this skill and the advantage of being "half ranged" in tough situations shit would be a lot harder.

Your build looks decent and it surely will work but you've got to be aware about the incredible item dependance such a build has, you certainly will be hitting walls from time to time and you'll spend hours and hours farming to get the gear that allows you to progress a bit further.

It's just a lot more effort to play a melee build and most people just don't like to take this effort when playing a ranged build is so easy in comparison.
Kripp did say melee "sucks" in late game, but right after that he also said, it is viable but you really need to know exactly what you are doing to survive. What I really think, is he is referring to hardcore players only. Not too sure about softcore though. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some late game rauders in HC, and they do it with melee attacks (not lightning strike), but it is plain harder playing a melee than a ranged currently.
Melee compare to Range technically won't do as good.

Also yes i do believe hes referring to the hardcore players more.
Since in softcore it really doesnt matter if you die.

Melee can be good just more gear dependent and how you build your character.

So technically Range is better overall for clearing etc.
IGN: Xus
"

Since in softcore it really doesnt matter if you die.

Ever had a character lvl 70+ farming for a few hours and then loosing all this XP on death?
"

Yeah, I've got to agree with the above poster. Dying in later levels really sucks! It's obviously nowhere near as painful as it is in hardcore, but 15% is an insane loss. Survivability is essential and ranged has that advantage in this game.
"
yoshichan wrote:
"

Yeah, I've got to agree with the above poster. Dying in later levels really sucks! It's obviously nowhere near as painful as it is in hardcore, but 15% is an insane loss. Survivability is essential and ranged has that advantage in this game.

Well, ranged chars have an advantage, BUT chars who have an upper hand in farming and pretty much everything except PVP, are double totem users. Which still is kinda ranged, but you don't use any damage dealing attacks or spells, so it would be not precise to call those ranged chars. I was kinda thinking "why are all those people talking about those spell totems so much?", and then I realised, I just went straight for it, took my spark+cold dmg+chain witch and transformed it into spark+cold+chain+totem. Now I can just run around picking up loot and shiz. That is boring ofc, but it's sooo good for farming, I can do full lvl60-65 map wipes in 3-6mins. That is just rediculous, if you look at, let's say, devmoon, who needs to run around with his melee claw build and do it for some 20+ minutes to clear a decent map. Also, totem casters don't give a damn about those map rolls. Ele dmg reflect + temp chains? Whatever, totems will take on anything.
Getting off topic maybe. I don't even know.
But yeah, spell totems have the real advantage.
studying for GGG's C++ technical exam...
Off topic: Yeah, we might see a nerf to spell totems. I don't know how they would nerf it, but it's pretty crazy in its current state. There are so many crit/elemental builds that has a insanely hard time dealing with resist/reflect monsters, but the totem-character just... you know, deals with this "issue" without really thinking about it :3
Last edited by yoshichan on Jan 9, 2013, 2:59:46 PM
"
Robi_Wan wrote:
my plan was to play that "true" melee-tanky-2h-marauder:
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL6gYah7ZYRkuJ-2sqnKpfNk62Ow4GjinhJBV8B8EswJxFE2iAKloVw3SIZ7NpzAUIFBHDjw6Ut-_hmBWBGFSn8tgiDIJKLXvTkCgBS1gS3rvdO0hYHTxnrkY20OcDq0ppVnzwBp8u8WKkc4UcXuMIQIq9iFVOQ73vi3Snz677aLqEuE=

A little upgrade to your build. Better point usage, same amount of points spent.
Life is tough... but it is tougher if you're stupid.
I`m worried that it will end up like in diablo that melee classes were inferior to ranged , before barb fixes.
IGN : FurioZZ

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info