Krip LS ranger <-

"
Ryce wrote:
Melee class who needs to tank up front in order to use their skill is not viable atm.

From a min/maxer point of view that's true. But it's certainly possible to have a decent character to play low level Maps at least, and party up for harder content. Also the Lightning Strike Ranger is not truly a tank as you can use the main AOE skills at a distance whenever required.

The duelist build shared here is doing well in Merciless according to the author, and he is using pretty much the same build as discussed here. It's practically the same as I posted in page 10, with Iron Grip for added projectile damage. He also uses Conductivity for increased chance of shocking.
"
cagecreed wrote:
LS ranger, currently 55 lvl

For now I can solo merciless without any problems, consideting that I have quite a crappy gear for my lvl, and not a single unique item.
My main AOE attack is obvious and target-one is double strike. For now I don't have any added damage support gems and LS has 1200dps, DS has 1600dps. 5kdef with grace.
As for the gear, I dun't know, how to link it here...

Can you really solo Merciless easily at level 55?

I have been farming City of Sarn in late Cruel till 54-55. So I'm guessing you must be in Act 1 of Merciless? There may be a very big difference from Act 1 to Act 3.

Can you link your main weapon? It's easy to do, just click your character name at the top of the page, then click the item(s) to paste in your reply.

"
DeF46 wrote:
"
cagecreed wrote:
LS ranger, currently 55 lvl

For now I can solo merciless without any problems, consideting that I have quite a crappy gear for my lvl, and not a single unique item.
My main AOE attack is obvious and target-one is double strike. For now I don't have any added damage support gems and LS has 1200dps, DS has 1600dps. 5kdef with grace.
As for the gear, I dun't know, how to link it here...

Can you really solo Merciless easily at level 55?

I have been farming City of Sarn in late Cruel till 54-55. So I'm guessing you must be in Act 1 of Merciless? There may be a very big difference from Act 1 to Act 3.

Can you link your main weapon? It's easy to do, just click your character name at the top of the page, then click the item(s) to paste in your reply.

Yes I DO can solo merci. Whole 1 and 2 act I walked through without any problems (except the damn shit-basket Vaal - that was a challenge).
Now lvl 60, dps form LS I don't remember (I'm not at home now, I can post it later if you wish) but heavy sktrike (now I use is as a target skill) deals 2k dps with high life gain on hit (same on LS).
Passives now

Gear as for now:
Spoiler

Thx for the info about posting items into the forum!

Yes, the 3 act is VERY tough for me now. But the gear is quite crappy isn't it? The same was at lvl 50 on cruel - died a lot of times till I found this sword. So I am not sad now. A little better gear and I'll solo 3 act again.

For those, wo think the build is crap - this game is not D3, it needs more "hit and run" and smart skills and passives usage. Stand and hit just won't work unless you are a full-metal-jacket-mara ^_^
Last edited by cagecreed on Feb 4, 2013, 3:25:49 AM
It just seemed odd you were claiming it was really easy while not using any support gems on the main skill.

Gear is ok. Nice idea using Life Gain On Hit with Fork, it probably works better than Life Leech till you get a really high physical damage weapon and sufficient passives.

Using a two hander is probably better for most if you don't have a really good one hander. I'm on Hardcore and I need the shield for extra resists and life atm.

Just for people new to the game you can compare cagecreed's weapon and mine:

He's got FIVE times as much physical damage. My rapier is very fast (and fun to use), but it would only make up for the damage if it was ~150 physical damage. This shows how much gear can change the effectiveness so the passive tree shouldbn't be looked at as the build, it's really only just a blueprint of the build.

My weapon there with sub 50 physical is pretty weak for finishing Cruel, and it will be completely worthless as soon as I get to Merciless. I've got a Geofri's Baptism maul if it comes to that =)
One thing I wonder since Kripp brought attention to the stun mods... is how useful a Heavy Belt with Reduced Stun Threshold would be. Like, would you notice the effect of a +25% Reduced Threshold? And would it carry on to the Lightning Strike projectiles?
Something worth consiering is that Melee Physical Damage support gem does not affect the Lightning Strike projectiles.

It will work in melee, and increase the converted lightning damage for the melee attack.

I am guessing the support gem also does not help projectiles with Iron Grip because the passive specifically says "the increase from strength".
Last edited by DeF46 on Feb 4, 2013, 12:13:24 PM
"
Lasti wrote:
My current Weapon:

(...) Trade for better gear with much more life? A 5 Link to cast my Enfeeble? Much better weapon? Higher resist so i can use a 2h Sword?

Interested in your opinions.

I know you restarted already, but I wanted to emphasize the importance of gear I think this is a good example. It can be very frustrating when you don't meet the "gear check" for the current Act / Difficulty. In those times honestly no matter what build you play it will be the same, except some builds are less reliant on a good weapon.

I was stuck in late Cruel at level 55, so I paid 3 alch and 2 chance for this one:

I paid maybe a little much because the most important stat, the damage scaling, is not even half the possible range. While the other stats are nice, they will be completely irrelevant if I find the same sword later with some ele dmg and 50% dmg scaling or more. Gemstone is ilevel 56 that means it could go as high as 129% added physical.

Instead of trading I could have taken a gamble with those 3 alchs, and I think it was very unlikely I would have gotten a decent sword. Since I'm on a new ladder, and Hardcore, I couldn't afford the gamble. Once I can farm Fellshrine in Merciless then I will start crafting weapons but until then I thought it was worth spending the 3 alchs on it.

By late Merciless you would be looking at crafting from ilevel 60+ (Eternal Blade, Vaal Blade, Spiraled Foil, Vaal Rapier, ...). Or buying an upgrade. The ideal weapon will have both "Local Added Physical Damage" (eg . 15-26) and "Added Physical Damage %" (up to 149%).

You could get or craft a rapier like twigglypuff's gear here that has as much as 335 physical damage as a one hander.

By the way twigglypuff's duelist guide is practically the same as this build, and has some examples of endgame gear and gems.
This build worked for me pretty well untill act 3 mercilles and maps. Thing is that i have no survivability at all. My gear is not good but i think it should work much better than it is.

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAecFLQaiBu4ILg6tEPAUIBR1F9wY2xmOG6ohYCP2KLUppTGwMgkyfjQ1NYY1kjboOlI6cTqzOuFAoEOcSn1N407IUEdVqVYEVvpYr1pIYEtgiGFSYxdjp2egbUpuqnRBdO108XgNeu989YE6hmCHdojtiPGKIpAKl3CbjZ2qnrmfy6PnplenMKlurFmuk6-itfK5zcCmwPPBB8v1037UUtd-3Q3dRt-_5w_tg-4O707v8Pe-_E78xf6P

What is bad for now is that i dont have gem slots that i need for single and aoe version of LS and i'm changing support gems depending on what i'm going to do. (for example i use chain instead of faster attacks if im farming city of sarn cause it's much faster that way) Some gems are there only for leveling ofcourse. Weapon is not that good. Im planning to get better one somehow but i think even with weapon like this I should deal more dmg. At least i thought i would with so many physical dmg multipiers and attack speed. Build is not tanky enough. There is only +hp and in this game glasscannonish melee is not the way to go. Thats sad for me and i hope they'll do something about it in the future. In closed beta Kripp was melting everything jumping around and didnt need defense except life leech and granites. OB has changed everything it seems.
My character got 38% absorb from armor and 30fire, 50 cold, 75 lightning resistances. Armor is low but i thought i could tank something with granite on. I was wrong. Even with resist flask and granite which both give me max res for cold and 60% physical reduction one elite zombie with +cold dmg in dungeon map lvl 66 takes 1/3 of my hp (of course freezing me in the process).

3430 hp
30/50/75 resists
38% reduction from armor
183 physical dmg multiplier with swords and 51% attack speed from passives
With faster attacks support i got 2500 dps
With chain 1044
With fork 1920

I was planning LS +faster attacks + physical dmg + elemental dmg + lightning penetration single target version and LS + elemental dmg + faster attacks + chain + life leech AoE version.
I'm using conductivity which would work good with both versions of LS but for now i'm far from getting 2x 5link :P

That with better weapon should give me 5k single target maybe? And half of it or less AoE (with chain it's more than good i think) I'm not good at math :P

One thing i don't understand in this game is that even if half of my passives are + dmg i'm not doing more than full tank marauder with 4 support gem leap slam. Or am i wrong? :P
Last edited by nexx80 on Feb 10, 2013, 8:06:20 AM
okay.

i play the build of full speed.

can anyone show me how i link the items?

naja okay. im lvl 68

have 2k life, 4,6k def

and 40+ allress - 40chaos

i have 5.02 APS! whitout haste or franzy or other buffs!

i have 2k dmg ls > ls - faster attacks, pierce, life gain on hit, lesser multi projktills (12% > gmp are better .. but 12% = 4% atk speed)

+ chain i have 1,2k dmg. but its save to survive! .. its the situation

on singletargets i use double strike, faster attacks, life on hit, addet chaos dmg - dps 3,2k

(have 4% lifelech on belt and skilltree)

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIABS0GogbuCC4OPA6tEPAUIBRxFHUX3BjbGY4bqh0mIWAj9ii1KaUxsDIJNDU0ODWGNZI26DiWOlI6cTqzP3pAoEOcSn1OyFBHVgRW-lpIXPlgS2CIYVJjF2OnZFpnoGyNbUp0QXTtdPF463rvgOGBOoZgh3aI7ZAKl3CbjZ2qnrmfy6PnpzCvoq_rtxe5zcEHy_XTftRS137cgt0N3Ubfv-Je5wrnD-2D7g7vTu_w9778TvzF_ZM=

this my tree so far.

i have 0 probs, to rush act 3, have so mutch attack speed, that i cant die,
only die on onehits. or 3-4 dogs in the docks, and that instandly.

need a bit more dmg. like 3k ls and more allress+ life and def, and i can start maps i think.

my equip ist full of attack speed.

my weap 2.06
rings, atks speed.
and gloves 13%

when i know how to link, i do it.

and now guys,

SORRY 4 this VERY BAD english. i hope u can read this, want so share my experience
ign RipDesyncRipRm
"
nexx80 wrote:
What is bad for now is that i dont have gem slots that i need for single and aoe version of LS and i'm changing support gems depending on what i'm going to do. (for example i use chain instead of faster attacks if im farming city of sarn cause it's much faster that way) Some gems are there only for leveling ofcourse. Weapon is not that good. Im planning to get better one somehow but i think even with weapon like this I should deal more dmg. At least i thought i would with so many physical dmg multipiers and attack speed. Build is not tanky enough. There is only +hp and in this game glasscannonish melee is not the way to go. Thats sad for me and i hope they'll do something about it in the future.

Kripp was using Quality Lightning Strike, which gives the Pierce effect. I'm using Fork. You're using Chain. However you say you are swapping it out. What I do instead is swap out Life Leech for Weapon Elemental Damage to kill faster when farming lower level content. I make up for the lack of life leech by using Enfeeble on dangerous enemies, and archers. I have 4% Leech then with Blood Drinker and 2% on a ring. When I'm in a party I prefer to use Life Leech for safety.

So my setup atm is Lightning Strike (0%) > Fork > Faster Attacks > Life Leech or W.E.D.

A one handed weapon can reach 300+ damage with high elemental AND crazy attack speeds (particularly the rapier), so to make up for the loss of a shield and all the stats on it, you'd want to have a very strong two hander.

Did you take Point Blank in the passive tree? I think that's kind of the main node around which Kripp was making his build.

So it looks like your main problem with DPS, is that you have to swap Chain for Faster Attacks. Your weapon isn't that bad if you could get the same damage with 1.50 Attacks Per Second or more. It looks like the faster 2H sword would be the Reaver Sword and Lion Sword with 1.35 base speed and you'd hope for a IAS mod on it.

Your HP isn't that bad but the resists should be maxed at all times without exception. Case in point: in Merciless Act 1 I went into Submerged passage. I was at 70% cold resist and was frozen when running in a pack of squids!! Almost died there.

You can prioritize Lightning and Cold resistance, but then the Voidbearers in Act III Docks are Fire Damage I believe? (despite it being of a blue colour).

"
In closed beta Kripp was melting everything jumping around and didnt need defense except life leech and granites. OB has changed everything it seems.

Yeah he was using (well everyone was =)) the Diamond Flasks. He said briefly in a stream that now he'd have to get Resolute Technique to make up for the loss of DPS.

So that's kinda what I did , this is what I'm going for:

Marauder Hybrid Lightning Strike Ranger (Hardcore)

The idea here with Iron Grip is that I will end up with 85%+ bonus from Strength at level 81... if I survive till then ^_^

This is what it looks like for me atm at level 66:

Same idea at level 66, going for Elemental Adaptation and R.T.

It should net me around 3650+ HP at level 81 (and 147+ life/sec). EDIT: Doh, I just found I made a mistake I thought I would get 3800+.. (Hmm.. that's not too bad but I might have not gone to Templar then). The main problem I have realised now is that I will have to make do with 2750+ HP for a while now as the other life nodes and +base life are further up in the Templar area. I think from 66 to 72 (farming in Act III) I will be going to Troll's Blood for added regen and Critical Strike Mult. Reduction, for safety. I will have to do a lot of levelling in Maps so it's going to be a grind to get to a comfortable HP level. Oh dear =)

It's kind of a silly build and a bit difficult to pull off. We'll see. I think Resolute Technique helps a lot. Basically if I use Life Gain On Hit, I am almost 100% certain to heal myself with Lightning Strike.

There was no ideal way to spend the points so my approach was to improve survivability with R.T. and Elemental Adaptation. Chaos spitters and archers can be a bugger what I do is drop Fire Trap and circle around. They always take time to "reload" so you can avoid getting hit. This is something I admit I learned watching Kripp playing as I used to just stand in one spot and spray and watch my life drop =) Now I can finally take on big packs of chaos spitters, just have to be moving all the time.

I'm currently sitting in Act II, taking it safe in Hardcore League. Probably going for Vaal tonight. So I can't say for the damage output in Act III. But seeing as I have a 4 socket armor, and the weapon could have twice as much damage, plus another 50% elemental damage coming eventually, I see no reason why the build couldn't do well. It's just not gonna be ideal in terms of Health pool. But I see no reason why it wouldn't be effective and fun to play "man mode" in Default =) I actually go "man mode" more often than I wish now W_W ...
It's kinda fun putting on Molten Shell, sipping a Granite Flask of Iron Skin, drop a Fire Trap and then spamm the hell out of Lightning Strike on a pack of bears pounding on you =)

My play style at level 66 is:

* LS + Fork + Faster Attacks + Life Leech (swap L.L. for W.E.D if farming easy content)

* Double Strike + Faster Attacks + Life Gain + Rarity (finish rare mobs)

* Viper Strike + Faster Attacks (also to finish rares and highly resistant mobs)

* Elemental Weakness for easy content, or Enfeeble for safety. I also use Enfeeble when I swap out my Life Leech, it kinda makes up for it.

* I still use Fire Trap because it's awesome :) Always liked the skill. It helps a lot to soften packs of blues and energy shield mobs, and archers and spitters, drop Fire Trap. EDIT: the plan is to replace Fire Trap with Enduring Cry at some point when F.T. becomes too weak to bother. So far up to late Act II Merciless I found the extra DPS well worth it, and E.C. not really necessary. I would use E.C. however if I couldn't cap my resists (with +Fastar Casting).

* Molten Shell + supports. Ideally +Faster Casting +Fire Penetration OR Increased Duration +Iron Will (+86% dmg from Strength at lvl 81)

* Leap Slam for emergency exit and mobility.

Molten Shell doesn't protect me much but with good timing of Granite I find that it helps take down bears and golems. It also helps when meleeing the remaining rare monsters in a pack, at that point I melee them with Life Gain on Double Strike, and they always trigger Molten Shell. So typically I put on M.S., Granite, go melee, drop a Fire Trap, stack some charges of Viper Strike, and then Double Strike and take a sip of the Seething potion if the mob hits hard. V.S. is on right mouse and D.S. on left, so sometimes I just spam both buttons :)

I'm sitting at -18% Chaos Resistance atm. Also don't slack on the flasks!

I'm still working on 4th Flask. I'd like another Granite of Warding, but I'm too reckless atm and don't portal enough so I should probably keep a 3rd healing pot.

Been alch'ing a bunch of Dragonbone Rapiers but no luck so far. I'm alching the same item so I can use the 5 rares > 1 unid rare recipe for one free roll.
Last edited by DeF46 on Feb 12, 2013, 3:29:02 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info