Krip LS ranger <-

@DeF46 Hi, i'm currently playing with your build , ranger 34 in hc for now.
For now i'm playing with with a 2H(way muh dps, easier to grind)but i have a decent 1h and shield in my second set of weapon for when things gets nasty.

I was wondering when do you take iron reflexes? I don't have anyreal problem for now, except the vomiting voidbreaker(blue one) on the dock who hit me real hard. Since i play in hc i'm afraid to get one shotted someday.
Last edited by Temosare on Feb 2, 2013, 2:32:27 AM
I would take Iron Reflexes early on personally... it's essentially free armor rating from Evasion.. and you can't really count on Evasion to protect yourself against burst damage.

Then to make the most of it, favor Evasion chest armor and shield as the armor rating increase will be a bit higher, plus you get less of a hit on movement speed (-7% instead of -11% or more).

Physical damage reduction is very important if you're going to melee things while dishing out Lightning Strike. I'm in late Cruel now and that's my weak point since I'm still wearing low evasion armor I'm under 40% Physical Damage Reduction and the enemies in Crematorium hit pretty hard even with capped resists. Currently sitting at ~2000 HP.

Oh and watchout for that damned Bear Trap boss Perpetus in the first area of Act III. He almost got me killed in Cruel. I think Bear Trap is physical damage so that's definitely one area where Iron Reflexes will help. I've figured it out now. Ideally as you approach avoid his Trap, then melee him to death with Viper Strike, he doesn't move. Or use Leap Slam to free yourself. To be honest I've hit the Escape and Exit to login screen multiple times now as it's pretty random whether you can avoid his Trap as he looks very much like the other Undying Outcasts only a little bigger. Once you're trapped he just stays at distance and spams Ethereal Knives.. If I hadn't a Seething Colossal Life Flask I'd be dead already =)
"
Temosare wrote:
I was wondering when do you take iron reflexes? I don't have anyreal problem for now, except the vomiting voidbreaker(blue one) on the dock who hit me real hard. Since i play in hc i'm afraid to get one shotted someday.

So I took the numbers of my armor and evasion (397 and 286 total respectively).

Without IR my armor rating at level 53 would be 412 (4% armor mod on amulet), and only 11% damage reduction.

With IR my armor rating jumps to 1684 or 34% damage reduction. A big difference.

The combined 286 evasion is multiplied by 48% evasion from passives PLUS 43% evasion bonus from DEX, and then converted to armor rating.

So yes it is pretty significant as you can see.

With just level 1 Grace (+263 evasion), as you can imagine from the formula above, that's another 263 evasion multiplied by 48+43 % bonuses, so armor rating is now 2197 for 40% damage reduction. Add a couple endurance charges from Enduring Cry, and it will be 50%.

I'm only able to use Grace now (just got it as reward from rescuing Clarissa in Act III Cruel), because I can almost spam Lightning Strike when there are enough mobs for the mana leech to make up for the mana cost. Since mana leech is doing ok for now I'll probably hold off Blood Magic for a little while longer.
Last edited by DeF46 on Feb 2, 2013, 8:04:54 AM
Just made the transition with IR , it sures help a lot.
I'm now Act 1-cruel.
I pretty much hit a brick wall atm. because i don't think i can progress very much with my current gear. I'm Level 69 and I killed Merciless Vaal yesterday. My current farmspot is "The City of Sarn" just before the Encampment but even that is really not that easy even tough the zone is 8 levels lower than me.

My Build:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAecFLQguDq0UIBRSGNsZLhmOIWAj9ifVKLUppTGwMgk0NTWGNZI26DiWOlI6s0CgQ5xHfkp9TshQR1PfVgRW-lcNWNtaSFuvYEtgiGFSY6dlTWegdO108XrvhNmE74Zgh3aQCpuDm42dqp65ns2fy6PnpzCrxbcXuc253cEHxFjL9dIh037Uj9d-2WHdDd1G37_nD-dS7YPuDu8O707v8PIv9778TvzF

My Stats:

2653 HP (278 Life reserved from level 16 Grace(linked to reduced Mana lvl 16) and 16 Anger)
4877 Armour -> 39% physical Damage reduction
75% Fire
47% Cold
75% Lightning
-60% Chaos
95.6 L/s

I use Bear Trap and Decoy Totem for hard hitting mobs and Fire Traps to support my Lightning Strike AoE. My single target attack is a 12% Quality Viper Strike with Double Strikes in between. My main curse (just for now) is Warlord's Mark. I need a 5 linked chest to equip my Life Leech gem use Enfeeble and cast Enduring Cry instead. But for now i need the 6% Life Leech from Warlord's.

Lightning Strike is linked to 3 Support Gems atm:

My current Weapon:

This gives me:

604 Dps Viper Strike (not linked atm.)
910 Dps Double Strike (not linked atm.)
1306 Dps Lightning Strike (4 Link)

I have an extra Weapon Elemental Damage (lvl 14) for Single Target and one Melee Physical Damage (lvl 14) for my Lightning Strike (both not linked to anything yet)

So my problem is that I can barely kill anything in act 3 and I die even faster. City of Sarn is only 2 levels higher than Fellshrine and Exp wise it's not even worth it. I don't know what i should do. Trade for better gear with much more life? A 5 Link to cast my Enfeeble? Much better weapon? Higher resist so i can use a 2h Sword?

Interested in your opinions.

Edit:

Just died at lvl 71 to frickin Voidbearers ... Guess i'll try a new Build.
Onslaught: LTeaSporker, LTeaCharge
Last edited by Lasti on Feb 2, 2013, 7:39:50 PM
Commenting later on other things.

Just watching Kripps and he commented on the lack of Diamond Flasks, and how that affected melees.

According to him that requires melees to take Resolute Technique.

So as for this build, to go hybrid all the way to Resolute Technique in order to deal consistent damage may not make this build very effective end game anymore.

I'll continue theory crafting my hybrid build. The last one I posted includes Resolute Technique, but does not have Iron Grip. So I have to figure what passives can be replaced by certain gear or supports.

--

Also he just commented on Lightning Strike still viable with TONS of physical damage and Pierce. A 20% quality Lightning Strike gem gives 60% Pierce, so you don't need to waste a support gem slot for Pierce.

That's something I haven't made my mind up. Pierce doesn't really stack with Fork. Fork seems to work quite well for me atm when enemies are spread in a large pack.

I think for Default League the build could still be fun just go for max physical damage and a minimum 2500 HP and with good gear you may die now and then but you can dish some good damage to make up for it.

For Hardcore however I want to stack life, and that means I can't put as much physical damage as I want. But I would be happy enough to have a soloable build on low level Maps and party up to level further.
Last edited by DeF46 on Feb 3, 2013, 1:45:07 AM
"
Lasti wrote:
I pretty much hit a brick wall atm. because i don't think i can progress very much with my current gear. I'm Level 69 and I killed Merciless Vaal yesterday. My current farmspot is "The City of Sarn" just before the Encampment but even that is really not that easy even tough the zone is 8 levels lower than me.

Off the top of my head the first thing I notice is the Faster Attacks support on Lightning Strike. If you got the 15%IAS node next to Unwavering Stance, and a decent weapon it shouldn't be necessary. From what I remember on my closed beta Ranger, that's a big improvement in DPS there if you can add another damage support gem.

Your werapon attack speed seems ok. But yeah it's very gear dependent so in late Merciless I think you pretty much want a 100% Phys Damage mod on your main weapon. Most likely have to trade for one.

I think I had more than 2K DPS on Heavy Strike for single target. So I also had a 4 link somewhere with Heavy Strike + Melee Physical Damage + Added Cold + Life Leech.

Life Leech on Lightning Strike was essential. I'd Leap Slam into a pack of enemies and survive through the life leech. I didn't have Fork. To be honest I have no idea if Fork is going to be worth it in late Merciless. Seeing as the projectiles already deal -30% damage and do not take the strength bonus, Fork is essentially cancelling its own -30% damage at level 17.

Eventually you have to get a 1000+ evasion chest and shield or trade for it.

As for Warlord's Mark it's a big problem if you have to use it instead of a Life Leech gem because it prevents you from using Enfeeble and Temporal Chains. Life Leech might be hard to get or trade for, I don't know.

For reference I'm pretty sure my main skill (Heavy Strike) and AOE (Lightning Strike) were both above 2K DPS. The late game is pretty rough until you can get all the essential support gems. I'm not saying my Ranger would have fared much better seeing as this was closed beta and I think Merciless enemies now have more life and resistances, but the DPS on your skills does seem to be weak for the level.
LS ranger, currently 55 lvl

For now I can solo merciless without any problems, consideting that I have quite a crappy gear for my lvl, and not a single unique item.
My main AOE attack is obvious and target-one is double strike. For now I don't have any added damage support gems and LS has 1200dps, DS has 1600dps. 5kdef with grace.
As for the gear, I dun't know, how to link it here...
Melee class who needs to tank up front in order to use their skill is not viable atm.
Kripps video on this actually got me to reconsider playing this game, since everything I played on closed beta felt clunky as all hell and really put me off the game, and this video actually made Path of Exile seem enjoyable.

Long story short, I ended up rerolling after beating it on merciless. This builds damage is pretty awful without diamond flasks and its survivability is pretty much non existent. I spent way more time lighting striking mobs from ranged than I ever imagined I would, and that just isn't the kind of play style I'm after.

The ground slam marauder I decided to make afterward does around 3 times the damage my ranger did wearing pretty much the same exact gear ontop of having around 2k more health, and isn't 100% reliant on life on hit gems or leech, since enough of his damage is physical so that the life steal you find on gear actually does something. That really opens up your gem sockets for different options early on, and in turn made the game alot more enjoyable since I could actually experiment with things without having to have 5 or 6 linked items.

I'm not sure what I did so wrong with my ranger, but this build didn't work at all for me. It at least got me playing Path of Exile again, so for that I'm still pretty glad I randomly found that youtube video.
ign: WESTSIDEWOOKIEE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info