Jan 14: One-week HC Race

"
Morsexier wrote:
"
MyH4o wrote:
SO did a single melee build got a demigod? Just curious? I don't think so, right? Sad... sad...

A lot of the people who could have gotten a demigod with a melee build are either waiting for OB or playing alpha.

Melee is definitely weaker then ranged (when is it not in general), but dont put much stock in a race that ends 48 hours before open beta.

"
Morsexier wrote:
You know... I wasn't going to compete but you just HAD to didn't you Chris.

2. As has been pointed out, we had 2 melee in our group. Neither died, and we both did excellent damage.
3. Completely disregarding an entire race and what people accomplished in it because of some theoretical group of would-be winners is kind of pathetic.
LOL get a life everybody
Praise to the Gods of RNG! I have finally experienced level 69 maps just in time for open beta.

Thanks to my teams, initial, final, and in between.
And as it is such so also as such is it unto you
"
Startkabels wrote:
LOL get a life everybody

How many threads you going to troll bro? Octavian is after you now!

All hail Kripp the real winner of PoE and every game in history and future!
"
lqc wrote:
"
Valmar wrote:
"
nugiyen wrote:
Suggestion: 8 hours limited per day with a closed team trading system. (i.e you can only trade within members of your group!) Wouldn't that be fun!

The only problem with this, nugiyen, is what is defined by "your group". Your starting group? The group you form when someone dead? Your group everytime?

If the last, its the same as now. If the first, then if you die what happens? Cant join other people for parties because you can't trade with them?

Interesting idea, but I don't see an easy way to implement it well.

You just need to implement this is group registration for the events. People register in teams of up to 6 *accounts* and they can't trade outside of that group. If your character dies then you'll just have to make a new one. After all, the race is about *not* dying while being most efficient.

You start with a quota of 8h and after every 24h you gain another 8h. If you reach you quota at any point, you can't leave the city. And if this happens while playing, you could gain a curse that reduces your XP gain, item drops, damage and all regens to 0.

Yes my idea is exactly that, a group registration phase and you're limited to that group throughout the entire race.

I like the curse and restriction to the town.
twitch.tv/nugiyen (Live almost everyday from 15.00 +1 GMT)
follow @nugiyen on twitter
www.youtube.com/nugiyen
"
lqc wrote:
"
Valmar wrote:
"
nugiyen wrote:
Suggestion: 8 hours limited per day with a closed team trading system. (i.e you can only trade within members of your group!) Wouldn't that be fun!

The only problem with this, nugiyen, is what is defined by "your group". Your starting group? The group you form when someone dead? Your group everytime?

If the last, its the same as now. If the first, then if you die what happens? Cant join other people for parties because you can't trade with them?

Interesting idea, but I don't see an easy way to implement it well.

You just need to implement this is group registration for the events. People register in teams of up to 6 *accounts* and they can't trade outside of that group. If your character dies then you'll just have to make a new one. After all, the race is about *not* dying while being most efficient.

You start with a quota of 8h and after every 24h you gain another 8h. If you reach you quota at any point, you can't leave the city. And if this happens while playing, you could gain a curse that reduces your XP gain, item drops, damage and all regens to 0.

So instead of limiting the race winners to people will no lives (allegedly), you now are limiting the race winners to groups of 6 people with no lives. This "fix" to the current system would mean less people would have a shot at winning than it is right now. Now not only do you have to play 8 hours a day, you have to time your 8 hours exactly so that the 5 other people in your group can play exactly the same 8 hour window. And yes, it would do exactly that because there would be organized groups doing it, and the only way to win would be to follow suit. ANY time playing without the full group would be "wasted".

The no trading except within groups is another terrible idea because Solo players would have even less chance. Not only would they be getting WAY less drops overall (and less XP), they wouldn't be able to trade for the drops they don't get (try running through to endgame solo with only your own drops if you don't believe me). It would also eliminate tons of builds from the game due to a lack of ability to trade for skill gems (how many builds don't have to trade for ANY of the gems they use?). No trade works for 3 hour races because you don't advance far. It wouldn't work nearly as well for long term races.

Do people even think any of their ideas through completely?

Races are fine as is. If you don't have time to be super competitive in long races, there are short races (I fit into this group and have won Demis). If you don't want to run long races or short races, then don't run races. You can just as easily spend the time playing your normal character. Races are fun, even if you don't win them. That is why many of us run them. Most of them even reward you for trying even if you cant win (this is the first race without currency level rewards in a long time).

Edit: The more restrictions you add to make a race "fairer" for everyone, the less chance you actually give yourself at actually winning one. All things Equal, the very top few people will win everything. With the exception of the last few week+ races where many of the top players have moved to alpha, this has shown to be the case. These people are as good as they are because they play the game nonstop, they know all the systems, they have practiced to know exactly what is the most efficient way of spending every bit of available time. In general, they are also the most hardcore and flexible. If you add 2590820582 time restrictions, trade restrictions, ect, they are the ones who will re-arrange their schedules to make it happen, if for nothing else than the challenge.
Last edited by Vondum on Jan 21, 2013, 7:37:48 PM
They need to make it so people who no-life get less exp as the day progresses and it resets every "new day", in a way the race should favour the first hours of each day more than the rest of the hours... and every day it resets, but ppl can still gain exp just not as much if they no-life it.

So like 0-6 hours played on day 1 gains 100% exp, 6-12hours gain 75% exp, 12-18 gain 50% exp, 18-24 gain 25% exp.. so even the account sharing scumbags can still get exp just at less rate until the day ends

So as mentioned, the "value" of hours resets on the 2nd day of the race. Also if you didnt "use up" all of the 6 hours of "75%" exp gain" on the 1st day.. but you no life-it the next day, instead of moving into the "50%" exo bracket after 12 hours of play.. it uses up your left over "75%" exp hours from 1st day.. etc. So you dont lose out on precious exp time to someone who no-lifed it both days

its a crude example but i think there needs to be some formula or solution to give more value to the :initial: hours of the race but done on a by-day basis, and resetting each new day.. and maybe like last 12 hours completely remove it or somethin.. could get as creative as u want to promote a photo finish

I'm not much of a long term racer considering I have school and other real life priorities but can i just go on record here saying all of you whining about time played limits sound pathetic.

Competition shouldn't be torn apart so you can all feel better about yourselves, why do you have to take something great like a week long race and bitch and moan trying to break the system so you can (at least in your minds) win something in open beta?

If you don't have time just wait for the shorter races, which are much more often anyways so who the hell cares if a few dedicated people want to see just how far they can get in a week and who are you to sit and try to change a system that doesn't have any real problems just so you can "compete casually" which is an asinine idea to begin with
"
ratiller wrote:
I'm not much of a long term racer considering I have school and other real life priorities but can i just go on record here saying all of you whining about time played limits sound pathetic.

I actually think the idea of "casual" races is pretty cool. This was my first race and first HC try. I targeted a top 500 finish based on only being able to play a couple of hours a day and maybe twice that on the weekend and the fact that I expected to die a few times getting there (I made it btw, 381st on my 5th try). I think the idea of limited play hours sounds pretty cool. Levels the playing field a bit. Not saying they have to do them all the time or even frequently but variety is nice and this variation would be fun. I would suspect a lot of other "casual" gamers would find it fun as well since we'd have a chance to finish higher than we could in unlimited races.

Having said that, in no way am I bitching about the winners in this race having an advantage. Back in the day I would spend 30-40 straight playing games and even though I can't do that now I don't begrudge the players who can do it. I just think it would be cool to have some races which take into consideration the fact that a lot of players can't put in those kind of hours. I think solo only races are a cool idea to, and no-trading races. Variety is good and could get more people interested in playing HC.
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
Grats Nugi :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info