[2.0] The Bulldozer - Man Mode. No Death/Portal Malachai Vid up

The Bulldozer

Do you see that face? That's the face of a warrior about to cut a mother f**ker down and not even care. That is the face of this build. Now sit down, listen, and learn what is best in life.

"And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!" -Conan(Arnold S.)

Finally got my no deaths or portal Merciless Malachai fight video done. The issue I was having was my recording software killing my frames, making the fight much more difficult. The kill is about 4 minutes.

Merciless Malachai - No Deaths or Portals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY7oteyPi40

2.0 Updated tree: http://tinyurl.com/nlwcn99

Most Recent Update 2.0 Notes:
-Began using Temporal chains linked to Leap slam + Curse on hit
-Amethyst Flask with Anti-Bleeding a must have flask

Update 2.0 Notes:
-Now using Hatred, Herad of Ash, and Arctic Armor
-Added Tempest Shield with Blind support gem to Cast when Damage Taken
-Stopped using Blood Rage
-Swapped from Enfeeble to Temporal chains for Cwdt curse
-Swapped to using Fortify support gem within Cyclone
-CWDT now linked to Golem(More info below)
-Tree Adjusted, more damage, less survivability(may change)
-Flasks become relevant with leech nerf
-Now using Enduring Cry with Blood Magic

This update changed a lot with the tree, I've updated a lot of info below to reflect some of the changes and when I'm not lazy, I'll get a video of the build killing Malachai(no deaths or town portals). Notable tree changes are regarding leech. With the changes to leech I needed to pick up the nodes near the bottom of the duelist tree to make it respectable again. The build does MUCH higher damage than previously, with small loss to survivability. Jewels are quite amazing, hence the 3 slots I dedicated to them. If I think of anything else I'll write it down later.

Update for BM/Non-Cyclone gems(1.3.0):
Spoiler
Just a quick update, I got lazy and distracted by other games. What I can say is a detailed run down of the things I did however.

I threw off soultaker and switched to a ~230 dps axe. I switched out my 'okay' 6-link for an okay 5-link with crappier stats, but not too bad, probably worth maybe 1 ex.

The original Gem combo was GGRRRB with Cyclone, Faster Attacks, Melee Phys, Added Fire, Conc Effect and either Elemental Weapon Damage or Life Leech

With the change in gear, my new gem set-up was GGRRR, with Cyclone, Faster Attacks, Melee Phys, Blood Magic, Life Leech or Added Fire.

The reason I say Life Leech or Added Fire is based on the rest of your personal regen and chaos resistance. I personally used added fire so I didn't lose TOO much damage and kept up life leech from Blood Rage.

Overall, this was a damage loss(obviously) but STILL managed to keep roughly 10k cyclone, down from 30k. Keep in mind of course I was also using a sub-par weapon, roughly 100 dps less than my soultaker. The changes in gems cut out a very large damage portion from cyclone with conc effect, but also increased the radius, which is a bit of balance since the larger radius allows for more enemies hit/higher life gain from leech.

At this point, my gear was all just meh rares, no more than maybe 1ex in value each, with the exception of Lionseye, Safell's and Abyssus, but I think those are relatively cheap... When you consider the cost of some other builds. And to be honest, I tried to take off Abyssus, the problem was my dex was too low without the +23 all attributes to use level 20 hatred/haste...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other important update I had mentioned regarding different skill gems is a bit less important, since it's kind of obvious. I tested Lightning Strike, Infernal blow, double strike, viper strike, dual strike, as well as a few others. The two that stand out in the list are Lightning Strike and Double strike.

With Lightning Strike, you suddenly become an unlimited mana ranged attacker. You don't have to go into melee since you can just sit back smashing things with the projectiles, but they're not going to be super-amazing since you have no real lightning damage. At range I would say the DPS is roughly the same performance as a bow user with about 4k dps, with heavy melee hits. I used the gem combo Lightning Strike, Melee Phys, Multistrike, Faster Attacks, Culling Strike, Added Chaos. I didn't want to re-roll the colors in my chest, if I had different colors I would have used LS, Melee Phys, Multi, Faster, Added Fire, Weapon Ele.

Double strike was better for colors but not quite the best. With the gem combo set up as Double Strike, Melee phys, Melee splash, Multistrike, faster attacks, added chaos, I was steamrolling mobs pretty quickly. I think I had roughly 37k dps with melee splash, and just over 50k dps when I switched it out for added fire. Which was better than my current cyclone at 30k(but not as much utility, imo.)

If you're using my build, try different gems, you might be surprised what you find out. Keep in mind there's nothing in my build specifically built around Cyclone other than the blue slot in my chest piece. Literally ANY melee gem dependant on physical damage that can use an axe will work. I've also had people who took my build and swapped the 1-handed aspects into 2-handed and tweaked it into a godly 2h build.

tl;dr
Spoiler
Melee build smashes people by spinning around, and I probably offend cry babies.

This build is incredibly cheap. The most expensive item I posses is my legacy soul taker, but you can easily trade one of your fifteen 6-Link Legacy Shavs or Kaom's Hearts for one. Then just trade another one for the rest of the gear. Don't worry you'll still have thirteen left.

"Only ranged builds work in end-game." -some tard

I have no idea who said this quote or convinced people of this, but they're an idiot. The purpose of this build is to show how a melee build Bulldozes its way through content.

The thing is, for the full Bulldozer effect... you need a soul taker. However, you don't need it to run the build, Blood magic can work just fine, but you will take a hit in damage and awesomeness.

I'm sure everyone is going "NUH UH, NOPE, NOT HARDCORE VIABLE, NOPE." Well, you're probably right, this is a build for men who don't have time to run away like tiny little babies. Though ironically, I don't die much... so there's that, and when I do die, I don't have to cry and restart the game.

"You're a f**king choir boy compared to me!" -Jericho Cane(Arnie)

Current Tree (2.0)

"Now listen to me very carefully." -Terminator(Arnold)
Times to stop cycloning:
Pick up loot
Leap slam to get to more enemies.
When there's no mobs if you're blood magic.

Gear

"I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle." -Terminator(Schwarzy)

My gear isn't actually that expensive, I don't think. Outside of Soul Taker, I think it's only worth maybe a total of 20 ex, but I bought my chest and 6-linked it myself for about 2.5 ex total, so more like 12-15 ex if you do the same... then again I have no idea what people consider expensive, I scrimped and scraped this build up over time.

Just to add, since people seem to think GEAR=BUILD, I'll go ahead and say... This is not required gear, this is my gear. I've been upgrading bit by bit to get a better balance... I've changed many of the pieces over the past month to get it right. Abyssus? Not required.

Yes Soul Taker is super expensive, but there's some work arounds. Blood magic being the main one.

The Gems and Socket colors have changed on this gear over the past 2 years, but this is all still the exact same gear I am using.
Spoiler

Gear Info
Spoiler
Weapon
As stated above, Soul Taker is kind of important for this to work. I run with like 18 mana, and unless I'm wasting valuable space and health with blood magic gems, I'm not using anything but the default attack without Soul Taker.

Chest
RRRGGB configuration is what I require for my build to work. Standard high health high armor chest piece. I'm attempting to craft an Astral Plate into something even better with Chaos Resistance at the moment. I put a Voll's Protector skin on the chest because it looks Badass.

Shield(s)
On average, I use Lioneye's Remorse. Health, armor, decent block. This shield is unnecessary... I preferred using Daseaeloaelsoe's Courage, but the massive armor amount was too alluring to pass up. I would HIGHLY suggest using Deasshole's Courage over this for most cases, I am not most cases.

My shield swap is a Saeflaefl's Frame. I use this... come on you know why I use this. It turns Dominoe's and Piediddy(not really needed on her) into cake walks with the 120% spell block. I wish I could get spell block somewhere else(that didn't make me sacrifice other things) so I wouldn't have to swap, but it's a simple switch taking about 1 second(since I don't have 2 legacy soultakers.)

Helm
Abyssus. Why? because damage. Downsides? Negligible. Sockets? Doesn't really matter. RRRG for Leap Slam and Determination.

All other pieces
Just fill in gaps of resistances, then focus on Str, Life, stat gaps,etc.

Flasks
Flasks are kind of an after-thought, with the changes to leech an occasional life flask pop isn't impossible, I also use at least one curse-breaker flask and maintain granite vs Malachai.

Gems

OFFENSE
Spoiler
I have 2 attacks, well 3, but leap slam is barely an attack.
Cyclone: The standard part of this build which makes it the Bulldozer is Cyclone.

Cyclone(surprise!) linked to Melee Phys, Added Fire, Conc Effect, Weapon elemental damage and Fortify. Fortify is a new must for me, 20% additional damage reduction mixed with melee damage boost.

Leap Slam: This is for House of Pain.
Leap Slam is linked to Faster Attacks and now for 2.0, I have linked a high level Temporal chains and curse on hit for maximum usage of temporal chains. I still have a cwdt with a lower level for trash, but this is a much needed addition for bosses I need to avoid damage on, such as malachai.

DEFENSE
Spoiler
Cast when Damage Taken: This crap became standard after I started telling everyone to do it. Yeah I know I'm not the only one who thought of it, but I didn't see anyone doing it before me anyway so I'm taking credit and running with whoever validates it.

With 2.0, Enduring Cry no longer works with CWDT, so I now use this skill when I remember I have it as a side-skill.

Cast when Damage Taken(Level 1) is now linked to a Curse* and Summon Golem**; along with a 2nd CWDT in a 3 link with Tempest shield and a blind support gem. The blind can be max level, as it supports tempest, not cwdt. The purpose of a minion summon on CWDT is due to the fact that the little turd dies so quickly and so often. You're not a summoner, so he's a basic minion, but he still provides a good buff, so CWDT seemed like a good way to maintain the minion without hassle.

*The curse I have always used was Enfeeble, but I am now using temporal chains with the combined chill of arctic armor.

**For survivability sake, Chaos Golem provides a small 3% damage reduction, however I typically use Flame golem for the damage boost.

AURAS
Spoiler
After some time playing, I've switched out Haste now for Harold's Ass and Arctic Armor. The first two are obvious, but arctic armor may confuse a bit. The other damage auras are not worth it, haste being too expensive, and heralds just not even a real increase in dps. Arctic armor is not just damage reduction, its chill effect is why I use it. The chill combined with temporal chains is a MUCH bigger utility/survivability boost than enfeeble ever was, bosses become incredibly slowed and reaction times are critical for new boss mechanics like malachai.

Videos
Merciless Malachai - No Deaths or Portals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY7oteyPi40
The Bulldozer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i97fOB1nbLw
Kololole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22aMNBaW3q0
*Piety wasted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9heSyvjDpMM

*Old obviously, I haven't used flicker since 1.2.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength." -The Schwarzenegger

Questions

Spoiler
What is best in life?

Why did you name it the Bulldozer?
To use the Bulldozer theme song from SoR3.

Do you NEED a Soul Taker?
No, but it makes you more cool. Blood magic is also viable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDJJlvY4pJc

Also, I've found this build to be a good staple for almost ANY physical melee build I try in it. Cyclone wields the best results, and I have no doubt playing around with mana and aura nodes can make this viable for other weapons as well.However, you aren't a bulldozer if you can't cyclone indefinitely.

Do you NEED a 6-Link?
No. For 95% of content 6-Link is a luxury, but you will take a big hit to damage without it.

Can I level up with this build, or take it into hardcore?
As a leveling build, I have no idea whether this will work or not, I didn't build this as I went along, it was a respec. I don't see why you couldn't do it, but I can't comment for sure. As far as hardcore goes, I do not play hardcore, but I strive to not die in any and all situations regardless. As a RESPEC build, this could easily work in hardcore, and can sacrifice plenty of damage for more survivability.

How do you deal with Physical Reflect?
Uneffected, mostly. When this build used Crit way back when, damage was quite a bit higher, but physical reflect would turn me inside out. Now I have consistent damage that 1-shots most mobs with no issues from reflect. I haven't tested a reflect map since the leech update though, so we'll see how things go.

Why do you use Axe+Shield instead of Dual Wielding?
Dual Wield had it's prime with cleave until it was "balanced." Now a 1-handed build can do just as much damage as Dual Wield or 2-Hander... It could probably before too. Also, shields are BA and cheap.

Can this build be on other classes?
With the current passive tree, only marauder and duelist could fit the build

Why don't you get X node or Y node when you're so close to them?
My build is extremely tightly wound at the moment, removing anything from anywhere will cause more problems than solve them. Leveling has gotten slow, points aren't abundant as they used to be. Could my build be better? Yes, because I change it constantly... but it's all just min/maxing at this point.

What are you going to put points into next?
Health. I'm not as tanky as I want to be.

What flasks do you recommend?
2 Healing pots for emergency, 2 Granite flasks, one that removes curses, and an Amethyst flask with ele res boost, for emergencies involving resistance loss.

Doesn't Abyssus make you take too much damage?
Not really. The damage added from abyssus comes after all mitigation. I think the damage gain outweighs the loss, but you don't have to use Abyssus if you don't want to. Also, there's always granite potions for any sudden issues with extreme phys damage.

What stats are the most important to look for on gear?
Strength, health, resistances, damage, armor, in no particular order.(Just make sure you max out your resistances.)

Can this also be an Iron Reflexes build?
Yes. You don't get stunned in cyclone.

Disclaimer:
Spoiler
I do not claim to be a master at builds or anything, the majority of this post is based on my own personal experiences and opinions. If you have a disagreement, that is your right, as is my right to share this build. I ask that comments/criticism be constructive. Any perceived attitude in my post should be seen as joking or satirical. Also, I do not own Arnold Schwarzenegger, he's just helping. I'm also 95% sure I probably forgot something obvious, but that's what edit buttons are for, so if you have any questions or comments please leave them here.

Let it be known I also don't lurk these forums often, so if a similar build has been posted, I'm unaware of it. I typically don't read many build posts as I prefer to make my own.
IGN: Hotdogs
Last edited by Sponge4747 on Jul 24, 2015, 12:27:17 PM
I can vouch this build. We have both have tested this build and it works great. I have a slight variant of this build, more block and a slight bit less life, and its quite effective.

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Grow up and drink beer, become a Bulldozer, and you win.
Last edited by Moeses on Nov 26, 2013, 8:58:50 PM
Legacy garbage / 10
Abyssus / 10
Scrubcore build / 10

My gear isn't actually that expensive, I don't think. Outside of Soul Taker, I think it's only worth maybe a total of 20 ex, but I bought my chest and 6-linked it myself for about 2.5 ex total, so more like 12-15 ex if you do the same... then again I have no idea what people consider expensive, I scrimped and scraped this build up over time.

LOL, 20 ex and legacy soul taker ... easily a 60 ex build for a non-hc viable build. Cheap.
Last edited by mvm199 on Nov 27, 2013, 8:37:01 AM
"
mvm199 wrote:
Legacy garbage / 10
Abyssus / 10
Scrubcore build / 10

LOL, 20 ex and legacy soul taker ... easily a 60 ex build for a non-hc viable build. Cheap.

Please tell me more about how you spend most of your play time running from mobs.
"
Sponge4747 wrote:
"
mvm199 wrote:
Legacy garbage / 10
Abyssus / 10
Scrubcore build / 10

Please tell me more about how you spend most of your play time running from mobs.

Yes thats how hardcore and nemesis players level up past 90 lol, try harder if you want to hurt my feelings.

Wonder why you dont have any map videos, kole and lunaris runs are no achievement, I could do them in a new league with crap gear with my eyes closed. lol @ vaal smash 'tank', its not even map vaal and you were lucky left with 1hp or so.

Purity was in fact used for the -max res ... resists are so easy to cap its not even funny. Guess you never did anything hard besides kole or merciless ledge looool, try a -max piety on shrine map. A lot of builds are now dropping purity or using a specific one vs map piety / crem boss, unless they really cant get the resists.

Though ironically, I don't die... so there's that.

so I went on poestatistics ....

2013-11-23 Standard 7378 -83 85 0 1,291,293,198 -57,852 45m 45m
2013-11-03 Standard 12941 -279 83 0 1,098,706,954 -1,719,634 8h 30m 3h 15m

lol

Last edited by mvm199 on Nov 28, 2013, 3:35:04 AM
"
mvm199 wrote:

2013-11-23 Standard 7378 -83 85 0 1,291,293,198 -57,852 45m 45m
2013-11-03 Standard 12941 -279 83 0 1,098,706,954 -1,719,634 8h 30m 3h 15m

Yup, that would be
A. Tanking the Vaal Smash after taking 3 Lightning blasts.
B. A program opening in the background screwing me.

I have the luxury of dying for fun, doesn't make the build less viable. If I went Bitchcore I could just run away from anything I felt was a 'threat' instead of purposely trying to see what I could do.

Since when is Running away or Logging out when you can't run away considered the "HARDCORE" option? This build has smashed through every map and map boss up to level 77 with little to no effort... 0 f**ks given, pushed straight into any challenge. Have yet to die for any real reasons. Frozen consistently? Whatever, stand there and tank until the freeze goes away. Desync? Doesn't matter, just find where I'm getting beat on and recover. My only deaths from changing to this build were those 2, one from being locked out of the game for like 45 seconds(ironically when an exile showed up.) and the other from standing there, taking vaal hits to the face.

I'm not even built for high survivability, that's the point of this build. It's balance, not made for uber damage or uber tanking, yet it can do both better than 95% of builds out there.
Those are the only 2 recent deaths poestats will show, there is probably tons more. You are on scrubcore and still <90. Meanwhile, hardcore and nemesis players that dont have your legacy item garbage and are always alt-f4ing the game and bitching out, according to you, managed to get past 90. Ouch, gotta sting.

I can see how well you do maps with your lunaris and kole videos lol, even a newbie can facetank these all day every day. People have been easying merciless upon open beta release, before the first monster damage nerf. You want to boast by showing a kole or act 2 vaal video? lol give me a fucking break I can tank kole or avoid vaal's attacks with my middle finger.

Sorry kid, but you come in here acting like you got the best build in the world, like you know anything about endgame or even simple stuff like purity, and call a glasscannon scrub build the bulldozer, I expect you to take the incoming flak.

"
Sponge4747 wrote:
Yup, that would be

Sure

A. Its not tanking if you died. And ever heard of grounding flasks? I can avoid vaal's attacks with my eyes closed, its such a braindead fight. And who runs vaal anyway? lol
B. Of course. So much for tanking and standing in groups of mobs while frozen.
Last edited by mvm199 on Nov 28, 2013, 5:25:20 AM
"
mvm199 wrote:
Those are the only 2 recent deaths poestats will show, there is probably tons more. You are on scrubcore and still <90. Meanwhile, hardcore and nemesis players that dont have your legacy item garbage and are always alt-f4ing the game and bitching out, according to you, managed to get past 90. Ouch, gotta sting.

I can see how well you do maps with your lunaris and kole videos lol, even a newbie can facetank these all day every day. People have been easying merciless upon open beta release, before the first monster damage nerf. You want to boast by showing a kole or act 2 vaal video? lol give me a fucking break I can tank kole or avoid vaal's attacks with my middle finger.

Sorry kid, but you come in here acting like you got the best build in the world, like you know anything about endgame or even simple stuff like purity, and call a glasscannon scrub build the bulldozer, I expect you to take the incoming flak.

"
Sponge4747 wrote:
Yup, that would be

Sure

A. Its not tanking if you died. And ever heard of grounding flasks? I can avoid vaal's attacks with my eyes closed, its such a braindead fight. And who runs vaal anyway? lol
B. Of course. So much for tanking and standing in groups of mobs while frozen.

See, I hear all this big talk... could you show me? My examples/videos are what I scrapped together, having never recorded any higher footage.... I had no high maps to show examples available to me, so I tried to capture footage of the things I hear people complain about the most of what I had available to me.

When the opportunity presents itself, I intend on tanking Vaal from the Maze map as well. Only I won't be at 73% mitagation with no buffs/debuffs active. Though, you seem to be getting the idea that tanking Vaal was just a practical run? Are you stupid? Of course you can avoid Vaal's hits.... The entire intention behind the video was to show I could tank it, even though I'm not built as a tank, had 0 endurance charges, and had no enfeeble on vaal, all while wearing Abyssus.

As far as the level 90+ people go... I don't live path of exile, nor do I have the patience to grind out levels. It's a wonder I got to 85, I haven't actively leveled since 80, and am more interested in waiting for higher level non-map content.

Also, for the record... I never claimed it to be the best, I only claimed it was a good build capable of clearing any content, because it is. AND it's melee. I don't even see your point in complaining here constantly about hardcore... since I specifically mentioned many times it was NOT a hardcore build, and that it would require significant changes to work on HC, alongside clarifying this was a RESPEC build, not a leveling build.
Last edited by Sponge4747 on Nov 28, 2013, 5:43:41 AM
Its not a good build, its not capable of clearing all content. Too low hp, abyssus = dangerous as hell. High maps with ugly mods will wreck this build.
"
mvm199 wrote:
Its not a good build, its not capable of clearing all content. Too low hp, abyssus = dangerous as hell. High maps with ugly mods will wreck this build.

I see... and you've tested this all yourself and have a character built around this build? Amazing... Well if you could go ahead and toss me 1 of each of your 70+ maps so I could show people for myself that it doesn't work, that'd be great.

Fyi, all the gear in this build is interchangeable. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this, if not I'll go ahead and edit that.

Fyi, it's low hp, because I don't need more hp, especially not in standard, I guess I should've mentioned it can be changed for HC-OH WAIT... Crap... I did.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info