Dan's Scion

Video is up.
Ok thanks. Also how much DPS is Pain giving you? Seems to me that the main reason for the Crown is to take advantage of Pain so would be interesting to see really how much DPS it gives.

Also would be great to get see build in action on 76+ maps.
One thing to note about maps in general is that regardless of how strong your character is, there are a couple that are hard with certain mods - no matter what -

These maps include:

Academy
Residence
Temple
Palace
Torture Chamber
Crematorium

On these maps, if you have -max resists, the likelihood of you dying is ridiculously high unless you're running with 10k + ES (WITH enough life leech to back it up). With the build, Academy, Residence, Palace, and Torture Chamber are easily do-able, even on -max resists, but because of a lack of spell block, temple piety on -max resists and crematorium on -max resists is hard to do safely. Piety can be done if you're lucky because you pretty much kill her in 4-5 seconds, but the crematorium boss on -max resists is a very.. luck based proposition. You'd need a good setup of ruby flasks with surgeon's to be able to that her on in a -max resist map.

Pain Attunement gives me 30% MORE damage. Currently, it's giving me about 8-9k tooltip dps.
Last edited by biggerboom on Nov 25, 2013, 8:27:31 PM
Looks like pretty incredible gear spec.

Is this viable for mere mortals who have limited currency?
Spectral throw is a garbage ability for daggers. Its acceptable for 2H swords since thats pretty much all they get as an AOE ability, but daggers get reave, wich is far superior to spectral throw, in terms of how you scale it.

For one spectral throw doesn't let you use multistrike, not allowing you to scale the massive amount of increased attack speed you get from blood rage and frenzy charges.

Two, you can't use more melee phys, a multiplier of your current phys, nor conc effect.

All the great multipliers that melee can have, spectral throw doesn't let you have, wich is why this build is only riding on the coat tails of the gear you use.

Really you're holding yourself back by wanting to use it, but if you're in love with it, at least know what it is.

Reave is not a ranged ability. Spectral throw is a ranged ability that lets you do anything you want. I understand that with reave, with the equipment I have, I could have much, much higher total dps, but reave is quite honestly one of the most boring abilities in the game along with flicker strike. If you play this build, you quickly start to find most melee builds incredibly lacking in versatility, and fun.

If I'm fighting vaal on a -max resist map, I would much rather be able to do 80k dps to him from outside of his hammer range than fight him with reave. In addition, with the kind of dps I would get with reave, it actually WOULD be possible for me to one-shot myself to a double reflect mob (the reflect would one-shot me before my 20% life leech kicks in), and I'd have to start playing careful. I didn't want to make a build that required me to be careful about things. I wanted something that would decimate everything in its path. While I understand why you would think reave is superior to spectral throw, you're using different parameters to make that judgement that than I am. I'm making a build that may not be #1 against everything (not the HIGHEST possible DPS, not the HIGHEST tankiness, nor the HIGHEST utility), but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and this build can destroy any map on any mod because of the versatility of spectral throw and the insane dps you have for a ranged character.

Yes, I realize that I'm kind of riding on the back of my equipment to make these stats a reality, but that doesn't invalidate the build. This build IS NOT a beginner's build. The words "Low Life Pain Attunement Dagger Spectral Throw Critter" should already give you an idea of just how gear dependent this build is. It's an ultimate end-game build for those who want to push the limits of what spectral throw as a skill is capable of. You're making the argument that spectral throw cannot scale off of melee modifier gems, which is why for spectral throw as an ability, CRIT is the best modifier for gems. You'll notice the RGGGBB 6l shavs. Spectral throw scales better with daggers than it does with any other item in the game- and you're telling me that spectral throw is garbage with daggers? Spectral throw as an ability is garbage without crit. The best crit modifiers are on daggers. 1 + 1 = 2. Daggers are the highest DPS weapons for spectral throw as an ability.
Last edited by biggerboom on Nov 26, 2013, 4:40:16 AM
Ever die? What happens vs reflect?

Blood Rage draining your ES is a big build weakness which will become even worse in Vulnerability and Chaos drain maps.

Think this is viable in hardcore?
"
biggerboom wrote:
Spectral throw scales better with daggers than it does with any other item in the game- and you're telling me that spectral throw is garbage with daggers? Spectral throw as an ability is garbage without crit. The best crit modifiers are on daggers. 1 + 1 = 2. Daggers are the highest DPS weapons for spectral throw as an ability.

I agree, spectral throw scales the best with with crit/daggers. Even with this being true, there are better DPS alternatives then ST..I said ST is only good with 2H swords because they have nothing else really. Spectral throw as an ability only fills the niche of a ranged melee skill. I said spectral throw was garbage with daggers because of the better alternatives possible, but spectral throw is garbage in general.

As to wether or not you could one shot yourself with reave on double reflect, I suppose it's possible. It would depend if you are using endurance charges/how high you can scale your armor. With your particular build you probably would.
Last edited by FoolyCoolant on Nov 26, 2013, 5:23:07 AM
amazing build, have loved it ever since you told me about it nearly 3 weeks ago

free bump for an amazing build dan
ign: flumie
/357218 -- Store
/1195032 -- <ZZZ> Sleepless Guild Thread -- 90+ AUS players in STD recruiting!
I did the same with reave a few days back, http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/644479 , and i have a few comments.
First of all reave dps would be much higher especially with that dagger and shield. I have just rerouted my build a little, and sit at 50 k dps without power charges, and 5.5 k es at lvl 79, still have 6 es nides ahead of me. When i try some low es high spelldmg shield it goes up by 5-7 k i think. Anyway ..

I watche d your video and posting defensive stats with granatine flask is a little misleading, in your video you have 6k armour. It makes a difference in reflect maps especially.
I can upkeep flask charges easy enough with high crit chance too, but that is not the point. It makes it all the more clunky to play if you have to rely on that imho.

Spectral throw has greater range then reave and sure is safer, but given how our gear is extremely similar in most ways i just do not see how reflect is not a problem at all, especially since you seem to rely more on crit spikes then i do ( i run concentrated effect+incresed aoe for more comsistent dps)

I have not been able to tell fromyour video, but i for example had to invest a few nodes in reduced mana reservation to run clarity on blood, because otherwise i had trouble with keeping up mana pool. Even though leech is doing more then enough, alot of time you desync into hitting mobs which are already dead, so you waste mana for nothing and have 0 befor moving to next mob. Also with 2 auras on mana it helps to have more mana readily available for use, i feel much better with a bigger mana buffer for now. Potion is another option i guess. I wonder if you have any observations regarding mana.

Spectra throw vs reave, you probably have a point, but reave is just as safe in most situations (fir vaal i can hild shift i think), except for ones where ST has a hard time too. Mult proj -res extra damge, whatever mean modes you can think of, Piety will still destroy anyone before you even see her.
My personal preference is with reave bacause it has much higher dps, simple as that, and it has a huge single target advantage too if you swap increased aoe for crit mult, and if you swap conc effect with crit mult and keep increased aoe you get insane area range, and i have same es, more armour.

Edit: i just watched your vid again, you seem to rely on mana flask, i dont. Your mana pool is too small for slow regen maps imho too, like i mentioned i had to up it just for that, and since you are looking for consistency, i am 100 sure no regen or slow regen maps are an issue unless you dprop an aura. It seems insignificant when facerolling dominus, but makes a huge difference in maps.
Last edited by ballsonfire on Nov 26, 2013, 7:04:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info