Dan's Scion

Edit: Using a variant of the build now, but I think I'm keeping it on the down low. Changed up a few things, made it a bit more overpowered, a bit tankier.

The spectral throw build is still very viable, and is still as good as it was before, but I'm getting tired of people trying this build without the proper equipment. It does NOT work if you don't have the gg gear for it. For that reason, I'm taking the build down.
Last edited by biggerboom on Dec 26, 2013, 4:35:18 PM
pretty simple spec,sure its not u showing your dagger?
nice one btw
Well, People have tried similar biulds, but I think with the new item introduced in 1.0.1, low-life spectral throw is straight up the best spectral throw build possible. I have yet to find someone with higher DPS than me with similar survivability using just spectral throw.
Just crafted the current #1 amulet for any build that utilizes crown of eyes.

Current tooltip DPS with spectral throw is at 35k
N/M .. saw the mods on the new unique helm.

Very interesting build.

Last edited by MikeOxlittle on Nov 25, 2013, 7:01:41 AM
how is playing in the lower levels with this build ?

build can be used in wich league ?
This build should be done using life and 2H weapons until you get to merciless at around level 68-70, when you can switch into the best possible ES gear available. I should point out that, by plain definition of a low-life build, this build is EXPENSIVE. It requires a 5L Shavs at the minimum, but benefits A LOT from a 6L. You CAN do a similar build using just CI, but you lose out on blood rage's 50% attack speed, as well as pain attunement's 30% more damage (when combined with crown of eyes).

FYI, Leveling as a life spectral thrower is possibly the #1 way to level currently if you can find good unique leveling 2Handers
Last edited by biggerboom on Nov 25, 2013, 8:18:13 AM
heh. with that dagger any spec is "OP spec"

scrubcore + bis items too..

you, sir, are just gloating :p
Sick build. A few questions:

- You ever think abut using Rathpith Globe for the 60% increased spell damage? Would probably be hard to balance resistances though
- Could you post your defense screenshot please. If you are kiting with ST and have that high damage do you really need armor? Maybe just evasion so you can save on the trek to IR and US and you could put those points into crit/spell damage. If you are using ST up close and prefer the armor - maybe get Point Blank as well?
- Your Bandit Rewards - do you mean Alira power charge in merciless or Kraityn frenzy charge?
- Is there an alternative skill to generate Power Charges so you can swap out PCoC for Increased Crit Strike Chance?
- Any thoughts on how you may do this build with a Cast on Crit gem and the new Storm Call gem?
- Do you swap out LMP for a different gem when doing single target for bosses?

Thanks! Vids please!
Last edited by Ceryneian on Nov 25, 2013, 8:37:00 AM
I think what I'm trying to present with this build is the utmost potential that spectral throw has as a main ability. That being said, there are certain things that should be noted.

1. Spectral throw is my main attack, and I always use LMP. There are good reasons why you would use LMP at all times, even against single target bosses. First, it gives you wiggle room when aiming and kiting the boss around, and second, you can hit some more enemies around the boss to life leech more reliably.

2. This is not a cast on crit build. I know people have tried using cast on crit with spectral throw, but I'll be honest with you right now -> It's not good. Cast on crit is the kind of build that sounds fun in theory, but in practice, leaves you with so many openings and so little versatility as far as itemizations and playstyle. In addition, you are constantly faced with the threat of dying to reflect because your only leech comes from the life leech gem that you place as a support gem. If you don't use life leech gem, your spells don't have ANY leech, making you too vulnerable. Basically, cast on crit leaves you as a jack of all trades. Your physical damage is sub-par, and your spell damage is also sub-par. You think discharging 4 times a second is cool, but watch any cast on crit video on youtube and compare it to how fast I can kill dominus using JUST spectral throw, and you'll see the difference. Of course, the item Crown of Eyes is actually something that makes cast on crit much more viable in theory than anyone has so far practically shown it to be. Maybe in theory it's possible to use it, but I personally find the nature of the cast on crit gem to be underwhelming.

3. The reason why you don't go point blank is because the 5 points you would use to go into point blank can be used to get nodes that are FAR superior for overall performance of your character. I would have to sacrifice either damage or energy shield, and I'd rather not sacrifice either one. The nice thing about having 40k tooltip dps on spectral throw is that you are doing insane damage -no matter where you are positioned-. Of course, to reach a number like 40k you need perfect gear (Kolp's dagger or equivalent is necessary). With an inferior dagger that has ~200 dps but atleast 10% crit, you'll do about 20k tooltip dps if every other item of yours is similar to mine.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info