Floating damage numbers

What's the difference between this and D3? D3 wasn't that bad.
IGN TDA
"
Rhys wrote:
We tried it, internally, once upon a time. It was horrible...

Also, we won't just make an option for it, because this is the kind of option that isn't really optional: most people that HATE floating combat numbers would still use them, because they will perceive them to be an advantage, because all the streamers will use it, etc. etc. So the game would be slightly better for those who do like FCN and much, much worse for those who don't like them (including most of GGG).

So yeah, still a "no".

Strange explanation. For example PoE is MORE THAN "slightly better" when you play it in groups. But I still play solo, same with item trading, game is much better/more easy with that but I don't do it, because it sucks and the game performance in groups is to bad, but that's another story.

Floting numbers would be less "forcing" imho, some like them that can use them, some not so let them deactivated. Nobody that hates such numbers would use them, at least not much. And if clever designed it would not be a bad thing.
It works in D3 pretty well, one of the few things there by the way. ;) OK, D3 can display every crap of combat numbers/text on screen but I only have the crit's activated there because it's a little bit to much otherwise. PoE could include also just a simple FCT method, only damage/crits, nothing more, both optional.

Or at least specific numbers for enemies, how much life they have, same for armor, damage... just because I feel they are heavily cheating! -_-
Last edited by Fusion_Power on Nov 17, 2013, 8:28:27 PM
It was fine in D3, strange. I'd much prefer at least the option in path. And, as for us doing it cause some streamer might, uh. really? thanks for the vote of confidence

LEMMINGS THE CLIFF IS THAT WAY!
The only reason I want floating damage numbers is to see how much my Zombies/Skeletons/Spectres are actually hitting for...
Perhaps a better solution would be an option to output combat information to a chat window/log.

Those who want to parse numbers will have the option, without the screen clutter.

My personal preference has always been output logs. Something easily parsed while offline.
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin
Last edited by Artanthos on Nov 18, 2013, 1:58:34 PM
"
Rhys wrote:

Also, we won't just make an option for it, because this is the kind of option that isn't really optional: most people that HATE floating combat numbers would still use them, because they will perceive them to be an advantage, because all the streamers will use it, etc. etc. So the game would be slightly better for those who do like FCN and much, much worse for those who don't like them (including most of GGG).

So yeah, still a "no".

so maybe youll provide some other way to telling stuff 'my zomnbies do XXXX dmg'

because for a hardcore game there is too much guesing and too much convoluted mechanics that are not documented at all

desacrated/consecrated ground - what these do?

tempest shield - affected by aura nodes or not? affected by inner force or not?

crit chance buff augmented by 'increased effect of buffs on you' or not?

there are 100s of such questions that these FDN can answer

and about the immersion and looking ugly - after RAzor footprints this argument does not hold water AT ALL
"
Rhys wrote:

So yeah, still a "no".

Uh, that is the most upsetting design decision you've guys made (in my view). Seriously taking strategic data away from the player when respec'ing after the fact is so incredibly expensive... I just hate it. Hate it.

An RPG that is purposely hiding battle info from teh player. It's just stupid.

PUT THE BATTLE DATA IN THE CHATBOX OR RECORD IT TO A TEXT FILE

They don't have to actually float geez.
Yea, I'm with some others here in that that explanation doesn't seem very sound. Trading and grouping are both objectivly better with regards to getting got equipment and leveling fast respectivly, yet there are plenty of players (myself included) who feel no pressure at all to do them. Floating damage numbers would be a great tool for those who want them, and have no detrimental effect that I can see on those who don't. Just have an on/off switch and you're golden.

That said, this is a pretty minor point for me. I actually don't care about "calculating max damage" or some such. For me it just contributes to the feedback and satisfactory sensation you get when smacking some monster with a sharpened stick. It just makes it that much more fun to actually hit things, if that makes any sense. So if FCN's are never implemented, I wont be that bothered. Especially if there's a reason I can actually get behind, even if it's as simple as "we don't think it's worth the effort right now" or something.
put it in the shop as microtransaction
floating damage aside how about some kind of combat log? Maybe if not the damage you do then damage you take ?
Sometimes you just take that huge damage spike and wonder what happened - lucky crit? lag? something is doing chaos damage?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info