Floating damage numbers

"
Rhys wrote:
We tried it, internally, once upon a time. It was horrible...

Also, we won't just make an option for it, because this is the kind of option that isn't really optional: most people that HATE floating combat numbers would still use them, because they will perceive them to be an advantage, because all the streamers will use it, etc. etc. So the game would be slightly better for those who do like FCN and much, much worse for those who don't like them (including most of GGG).

So yeah, still a "no".

My big issue with this is that a lot of the biggest threats in the game are very difficult to assess because of this. I'd like people to be able to take screenshots of what killed them, like kole critting them for 12k damage, rather than just get oneshot and wonder exactly how much armor you would need to reduce it to something manageable next time.

I feel it impedes the learning curve. Knowing how much damage 10 stacks of corrupted blood will do to me, knowing how much damage that storm herald mob is gonna soak me with, knowing that dominus' fist can do X amount of damage if I get unlucky and that could kill me, this is important information that's very difficult to extract without putting effectively throwing my character in front of the truck and praying he's fat enough to live through it.

If you're going to put in mobs that will one shot kill all but the most overgeared, overleveled characters, then for gods sake let us figure out what killed us.

You don't even have to put in ugly floating numbers - just let us see a damage report of what raped us when we die, so we have a better idea of what to do next time.
Last edited by Vortex_Magus on Nov 21, 2013, 10:58:33 PM
In Path of Exile, damage-over-time does not deal damage to you in increments; it works continuously, so that an ability which deals 1000 damage to you per second deals 1 damage every millisecond. So when it comes to things like Corrupted Blood, how would they implement floating damage numbers? Some kind of tick system? But if you do that, now people start thinking the ticks are formal somehow and you've actually made a barrier to learning, because the ticks are a red herring in terms of how the mechanics actually work.

But I'm against floating combat numbers anyway, because I believe there should be a learning curve; I'm not looking to flatten it. Actually, with the community's propensity to wiki everything, I think it would be best if GGG releases as little information as possible, so that it at least takes a while for third-parties to collect all the answers. It's better when players learn themselves rather than referencing the cheat sheet.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 21, 2013, 11:05:24 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
In Path of Exile, damage-over-time does not deal damage to you in increments; it works continuously, so that an ability which deals 1000 damage to you per second deals 1 damage every millisecond. So when it comes to things like Corrupted Blood, how would they implement floating damage numbers? Some kind of tick system? But if you do that, now people start thinking the ticks are formal somehow and you've actually made a barrier to learning, because the ticks are a red herring in terms of how the mechanics actually work.

I agree some of the game mechanic will make it more tricky to poll off
but that is not a good enough reason , and yes tick system will actually be perfect since you already can see your health going down so the ticks will be like a SSlap to the player
a "warning signal"
I can understand GGG wanting to avoid having floating damage numbers since this falls under personal preference for developers, but these type of games are purely number games. Not having something to record these data to texts (be it from the chat log) makes theory-crafting numbers very ambiguous. I know there are players out there that can easily break down the numbers and actually the damage done in their head while in combat, but not everyone has that ability. You can say they are prodigies in that field.

I played plenty of iso-centric ARPGs game like TL, TL2, TQ:IT, GD, and even D3 (never like the font size choice), and to some extent they have something to record the damage, be it from floating numbers, to stats sheets, at least they are some info that would help players learn to overcome obstacles through calculation.

Of course, they will be players that would want to show off these numbers, but players will find anything that can help them show off. It falls under human nature. You really cannot take away that from human beings.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

game by gamers for gamers.

people already theorycrafting with the passive tree and gear, but it is just theory.
In the end, the gamer want NUMBERS. Min-maxing. Optimizing their characters.

It doesn't have to float...
Floating damage numbers provide a nice utility in seeing your after-resistance damage, so if floating numbers don't work, some other way of seeing that would be nice. In Diablo 3, once I reached a point where my gear was stable for a while I turned them off, but having the option was nothing but a benefit.

Out of curiousity, what was so horrible about them?
no
"
These types of games are purely fun, why get the numbers involved? Count your hits if you have to.

Better make some spread sheets and a big list of my own drop rates and make this fun game into work. Maybe that is 'fun' for some people.
While we're at it, will we cut out all the numbers that show how powerful your gear, passives and skills are, and the stats screen that shows your damage and defences? Wouldn't want any numbers getting in the way of our fun.
"
Nope, wouldn't want any of that; that's why there are separated screens for them. Feel free to click the mouse and watch the pretty colours.
And presumably you don't use those screens, since that would be "work"?
Last edited by GusTheCrocodile on Nov 22, 2013, 1:02:22 AM
"
Rhys wrote:
We tried it, internally, once upon a time. It was horrible...

Also, we won't just make an option for it, because this is the kind of option that isn't really optional: most people that HATE floating combat numbers would still use them, because they will perceive them to be an advantage, because all the streamers will use it, etc. etc. So the game would be slightly better for those who do like FCN and much, much worse for those who don't like them (including most of GGG).

So yeah, still a "no".

remove stat numbers from items then - streamers use them and they are not really optional

and numbers from passsives - streamers use them and they are not really optional

and in all seriousness - lack of such option puts your 'gamers for gamers' theory into nice jar labelled 'b...'

if you confuse 'guessing' with 'fun' i can understand you, but if there is a more elaborate reason why you want to keep details of 'hardcore' game secret and up for (miss)speculations.. please share. above quote is nothing more than another 'but BM is MUCH BETTER after the 1.0 patch' moment. that is absolute lack of connection with reality.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info