Say Goodbye to CI?

"
It would certainly be a big deal for people who play the game hardcore and have invested time & effort into making a CI build & gear if radical changes were made to CI.
I'd imagine that if it isn't fixed up, they'll simply remove it until they can balance it properly. Everyone will be wiped, so prior item investments will not be a concern.
Even without chaos immunity, CI would still be incredibly good. ES is strange because it is basically an alternative to HP, instead of complimenting it. Mage builds that are usually supposed to be fragile end up being incredibly durable because of it.

I'd kind of like to see ES reworked entirely.
IGN: Iolar
"
Wisdom wrote:
I'd imagine that if it isn't fixed up, they'll simply remove it until they can balance it properly. Everyone will be wiped, so prior item investments will not be a concern.

I think you underestimate how many people were totally pissed & left D3 because of the IAS nerf. When people put a lot off time into games like this they aren't happy when their stuff gets changed. Maybe they are entitled but none the less its players who aren't playing anymore & have a negative word of mouth about the product. Something to consider IMO.
"
tpapp157 wrote:
"
CI is a pivotal part of the game, a lot revolves around it in terms of skill trees & gear

This is the problem with CI and why it needs to be redone.

CI is OP. Everyone knows it and has known it for a while. If you spec into an obviously OP build then you should expect it to get nerfed sooner or later. CI is far from the only thing that's going to be changed. These changes will be made if and when they're necessary for the good of the game. If a few people need to reroll their characters as a result then that's just unfortunate. If you don't want to make a particular build because GGG might change something about it in the future then I'd simply suggest not making any characters.

Agreed it's OP. I would prefer they either:

A) Ditch the ES bonus or not make it multiplicative

B) Have chaos dmg applied to ES.

And be done with all of this. Sick of hearing how OP it is, when in reality, I've made several ranged and melee HP characters, and never had a problem with chaos dmg.

If one wishes to talk about node investment saved. Look at the Witch tree. Everything is spread out. Not so much with other classes.

I AGREE it's OP. Just to reiterate that statement.
"
Charan wrote:
The problem with CI is that it neatly plugs the hole that chaos damage was meant to present: Chaos Damage is meant to be Energy Shield's foil.

CI also does something that is against GGG's design mechanics when it comes to resistances and damage reduction: it grants total immunity to a damage type.

[...]

No keystone should be virtually mandatory for a playstyle as broad as 'caster'.

In short, CI is pulling too much weight when keystones are toted as game-changing, not game-defining.

This is something I made sure to bring up when talking to Chris directly months ago. If the monsters are denied any sort of damage immunity (which is an inferior method of boosting difficulty in GGG's eyes), then granting players any sort of damage immunity is similarly problematic, especially with PvP in mind.

My money is on the 'inoculation' referring more to an interaction between ES and chaos damage and less to a complete immunisation.

Didn't read the whole thread, just wanted to thank you for the explanations :)
Take care out there.
"
govaguy wrote:
"
Falcord wrote:
I think CI would be just fine with the clause "Immune to Chaos Damage" changed to "Chaos Damage received affects Energy Shield"

Yes, I agree with this. That's the only thing that really needs to be changed.

Maybe, but with a little but important detail:

"Immune to Chaos Damage" changed to "Chaos Damage received ONLY affects Energy Shield"

or "Chaos Damage received affects Energy Shield instead of life"

Keep everything else the same. Keep the +50% more energy shield and the maximum life become 1.

Maybe add a 50% chaos resistance... there are a lot of possibilities.

Although personally, I'd just keep it as is.

CI is the coolest keystone in the game. Its important that it stays awesome, and is not turned into something boring or uninteresting, as it really drags the whole awesomeness of the game with it.
Last edited by Dreamer000 on Dec 16, 2012, 4:03:36 PM
What you guys are asking for there is not a 'Chaos Inoculation', it sounds like you guys just like the +50% ES which is arguably the most OP part of CI. I have seen it suggested before that instead of the +50% it should just be your HP converted over, I think that is a fairer balance to the skill overall.

The idea of CI is to be immune to Chaos Damage but your life becomes 1, the idea then that you would still take Chaos Damage to ES is a contradiction to the skill in general, the boost to ES is the part that is wonky IMO.
I have characters with and without CI. Its not mandatory, but it is fun.

CI is one of the things that make this game unique. I can't say I'd give up POE if CI disappeared or was modified, but I would be disappointed.

I really haven't heard people whining about it being op anymore than anything else. But I do know if the things that make this game unique keep getting nerfed and changed it will no longer be unique.

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.
Last edited by AlteraxPoe on Dec 16, 2012, 3:48:16 PM
"
"
tpapp157 wrote:
GGG intends to redo CI, not completely remove it. The redo will probably happen soon after OB though it just depends on when GGG gets the time to work on it.

I'll take it that you have more insider info than we heard on the stream but it makes me wonder why GGG would wait until after OB launches to change CI. (...)

Devs do not wait until OB to change CI, they are doing everything they can to develop the game. They just considered a lot of things and decided that if they may not have enough time for everything. They will work more on A3, server stability, desync and other issues. CI is going to be reworked, and it's been talked about for months now, but as something that works it can stay and wait. At the same time Chris Wilson directly stated that he'd like to fix CI before OB.

People should also notice that it's not easy to rework this keystone. Current values of damages and defenses have been balanced for many months. If casters have to deal with chaos damage without immunity then a lot of defense available for them may need rebalanced, or chaos damage itself may require rework. ES numbers available with and without CI will change. Such changes should be then tested heavily.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info