Say Goodbye to CI?

So I was listening to the Kripp interview last night & correct me if I am wrong (I was pretty tired) but didn't Chris say that he doesn't really like how CI works & that there is a possibility it won't be in OB?

Pretty big news right? I know I am planning a CI build for OB but it seems that there are pretty major potential changes a foot that may mean a lot of the current builds won't be available come OB.

Thoughts?
I hope not... CI is probably my favourite keystone in the game. I can't think of any character I've gotten further than level 50 that didn't have it.

It has nothing to do with the effectiveness. I simply like using my reflexes to manage my "health", zooming in and out of battle rather than tanking it and/or micromanaging the regeneration. CI makes me able to fully concentrate on that, and I love it.

If you're reading this Chris: Please don't kill CI!
Well I like CI and always try to use it. Altho it isnt very balanced tbh. If CI were to be removed then what else would replace it?

Arg shit I'd have to re do my diamond item -.-
My Kiwi's name is Fluffy.
It eats souls and small children.
Don't fuck with Fluffy.
I certainly hope it doesn't go away or change drastically, my feelers would be hurt. Maybe rebalanced a little but in my opinion why nerf something everyone loves, why not try to fix evasion and armour to work a little better than they do currently? If evasion and armour were a bit more friendly, so many people wouldn't try to use CI i'm sure.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

GGG intends to redo CI, not completely remove it. The redo will probably happen soon after OB though it just depends on when GGG gets the time to work on it.
Forum Sheriff
IF they removed it, i would hope they would buff the base ES stats on gears.
ign - spybone add me up!
Last edited by Annex on Dec 15, 2012, 2:37:04 PM
"
tpapp157 wrote:
GGG intends to redo CI, not completely remove it. The redo will probably happen soon after OB though it just depends on when GGG gets the time to work on it.

It might even just be a decrease of its (absurd) ES gain, shifting it to ES nodes instead.
what is CI?
my english sux.
CI is Chaos Inoculation. A Keystone that grants complete immunity to chaos damage (which normally ignores energy shield and directly eats life) and significantly boosts your energy shield...but reduces your life to 1.

The problem with CI is that it neatly plugs the hole that chaos damage was meant to present: Chaos Damage is meant to be Energy Shield's foil.

CI also does something that is against GGG's design mechanics when it comes to resistances and damage reduction: it grants total immunity to a damage type.

It also increases your energy shield significantly.

Given how much chaos damage there currently is flying around the latter half of act 2 (which people must understand is not the last act -- even when I'm playing the 3-act game on alpha, it feels like act 2 wants to be the last act), Chaos Inoculation is one of two clear options when dealing with ranged, unblockable/unavoidable chaos damage packets via the Vaal Constructs, the other being stacked life.

So you can either stack life or you can get CI. Stacking life is counter-intuitive if you're a caster or even ranged, thus CI really is your best, and arguably only option with that much chaos damage in play.

No keystone should be virtually mandatory for a playstyle as broad as 'caster'.

In short, CI is pulling too much weight when keystones are toted as game-changing, not game-defining.

This is something I made sure to bring up when talking to Chris directly months ago. If the monsters are denied any sort of damage immunity (which is an inferior method of boosting difficulty in GGG's eyes), then granting players any sort of damage immunity is similarly problematic, especially with PvP in mind.

My money is on the 'inoculation' referring more to an interaction between ES and chaos damage and less to a complete immunisation.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
This is actually nice to hear. These are some of the balance concerns I had quite a while ago... these sorts of keystones, flasks, and skills that are so good that if not taken, you significantly nerf your build... I'm glad to see them recognized as needing tweaks for long-term viability.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info