Why do we heal completely on levelup?

You even explained the answer in the OP, at the lower levels you get free flask re-fills and health so that you arent constantly out of mana. Newer players may not be used to using their skills and may need a refill very quickly (level 2 comes very quickly). This keeps the flow of the game up so that it doesnt feel awkward and force them to perpetually go back to town when they are experiencing the game for the first time.
Why is it a problem to reward the player for achieving a milestone? It's a nice feeling to have that in no way damages gameplay. I'd be happy if we were given full charges on level up too, kinda like eating a power pellet in Pac Man.
"
zinger wrote:
It's arpg tradition. D1, D2, TQ, TL .. always been this way.

This.
Where the hell has OP been for the last 10 years? This has been pretty much the standards for all RPGs for ages now...
Sweeping Maid
Last edited by nzrock on Dec 15, 2012, 10:49:00 PM
"
nzrock wrote:
"
zinger wrote:

This.
Where the hell has OP been for the last 10 years? This has been pretty much the standards for all RPGs for ages now...
Nothing wrong with questioning traditions.
Once I played a game where they had this, but it was bugged and you LOST health on each level up... If you were under 40% health when you levelled you would automatically die =P
@Metronomy - that is actually pretty funny. It would get old after awhile but i am sure amusing the first few times it happened.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

"
Metronomy wrote:
Once I played a game where they had this, but it was bugged and you LOST health on each level up... If you were under 40% health when you levelled you would automatically die =P

That cracked me up. GGG can you please introduce a bug like this to default league in one of your patches, say sometime around April?
Apparently I'm quite alone with my opinion.

I'll try to answer all arguments and then let the topic rest.

"
I think it's like a way to show that you leveled up, and to award the player. I don't think there is any other reason.

There already is graphical feedback when we level up, healing my char is not necessary to alert me to the fact I leveled up.

"
There's hardly a more epic experience than to get saved by a levelup in hardcore.

The experience would be equally epic, if you were saved by a spontaneous heal. (But I can see the point. And yes I know you can plan the levelup)

"

In my experience there's no worse reason for doing something than tradition. (And that's not restricted to ARPG's)

"
It's definitely saved me on many occasions. I don't think it has any particular gameplay purpose but most people do seem to like it.

That's kind of my point, I don't think GGG thought about this before implementing it. They just did.

"
You even explained the answer in the OP, at the lower levels you get free flask re-fills and health so that you arent constantly out of mana. Newer players may not be used to using their skills and may need a refill very quickly (level 2 comes very quickly). This keeps the flow of the game up so that it doesnt feel awkward and force them to perpetually go back to town when they are experiencing the game for the first time.

I don't think that's a n issue, every class can finish the starting area without mana, in town it's refilled anyway.

Considering all the negative feedback, this won't change.
So: have fun getting healed when you level up.
I beat cruel, ruthless and merciless and all I got were some maps.
XBone: the beginning of the end.
a reward for leveling, that literally saved me more times than i can count on one hand.
"
So: have fun getting healed when you level up.

Okay! =)

Also, when it comes to the actual topic on hand, I do feel a complete heal isn't necessary... But it is fun. And this game is about having fun, right? It's encouragement, really.

It can even be a useful mechanic when depended upon, as many people in this thread have told. I'd be lying if I said it didn't help a character of mine remain in the Hardcore league, and that's because I intended it to help me in that exact way.
same name in-game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info