Phase run (oh noes)

Based off the feedback i have seen from people about phase run until now all i have seen is people bitching about having to stop to cast phase run and then getting a buff to speed. The flasks will be instant, which is what people have been asking for.

The majority of people up until now have asked for this skill to be changed, don't bitch because they are following the majority of people out crying.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

While I still haven't entirely rid myself of interest in the game.

Not allowed to bitch when a game gets ruined for you, ends up going in a direction you didn't expect it to? Get real.

Even the people who want to keep Phase Run don't seem to get it, that's fine, I'm not part of the target audience of the game, this has been shown to me in numerous ways. Quicksilver flasks are going to be shitty run toggles, for most people this will probably be a buff.

For me, it shows what utility skills mean to the audience, testers and designers of the game.

I was expecting the game to progress and provide some compelling, involving combat (beyond the typical diablo clone garbage), in some ways it achieved this and had potential for more.

I'm not a traditional d2 type of player, I get bored quickly, not as quick as the people I've personally tried to get into the game though, the type of people who aren't necessarily d2 zealots, none of which play the game anymore.

The game is for the most part really easy, most of the challenge in the gameplay is artificial (knowledge, exploitation, desyncs, etc) and melee combat in particular is, on the whole, woefully bland. It will be even more bland soon.

I was expecting something closer to prog metal and instead it's ending up as pop rock.
The problem with Phase Run is that people feel that it should be in every build, it also has little in the way of taking something away from the character after giving such a huge rewarding return. This is not the model GGG is going for.

There should never be one skill or piece of gear in the game that every build uses, GGG has been pretty particular in making sure that diversity is a significant part of this game.

It also doesn't go with the mechanics that have been core to this game where when you receive a bonus/reward/something positive that it has an opposite reaction as well. You can see this with mana cost increases for support gems, negative mods on flasks, negative mods on uniques. For everything you do to gain in one area, it should be taken away in another.
Last edited by Elynole on Dec 18, 2012, 9:43:16 AM
I prefer the idea of quick silver flasks. Movement speed is all about survivability and increasing DPS, flasks just so happen to be intimiately tied directly to those 2 concepts. With the addition of a new flask type players will have to compromise on the composition of their flask belt. Will you bring 3 quick silvers? 2, 1, or none? I can see people in the PvP arena doing extremely well...until they realize they are out of quick silver potions and their opponent is not.

I look forward to the change because I think phase run is an auto include to everyone's build. I play a witch mostly with a wand, what am I doing equipping phase run all the time? I don't like feeling like I have to bring a melee skill to my ranged character.
Giving everyone a speed burst on a cooldown would be a good idea.
"
BearCares wrote:
Movement speed is all about survivability and increasing DPS

No, movement speed is all about reducing tedium/downtime. My marauder has no MS on boots and wears heavy armor for a further MS penalty, and it's no big deal in combat, but you'd better believe I've got Phase Run on 100% uptime when out of combat. That goes double for alts I'm still leveling since there are quite a few areas that it's far more efficient to just run through than try to slog through (any of the areas with the exploding dogs and goat men for example). My most recent alt found the 35% MS boots and leveling speed skyrocketed simply because so much time is spent running between mobs, running between areas, or running through areas.

Phase Run drastically reduces the amount of time invested in doing unfun things. No flask or cooldown-crippled ability can ever replace that due to limited uptime. Ideally, you'd rework the unfun portions of the game so it's a non-issue, but that is a much much bigger task.
Isn't the main problem here that the base movement speed of the game is a bit too low? I don't think the base movement speed should be equal to phase run speed, but I think it could be substantially increased. Also remove movement penalties from gear (am I correct that only chest pieces incur a penalty?). Or at least indicate the movement speed penalty as an implicit mod on the item.

To offset the increased base run speed, perhaps make movement speed mods on boots lower, and make the movement speed benefits of movement skills/flasks (whichever ends up staying in the game) lower.
Yeah I am in the same boat I love phase run, it makes my melee char fun to play. Without phase run I feel slow paced and prefer to play a ranged character than. If the damage buff is the issue I would prefer for them to just get rid of that and keep it giving movement speed.
Last edited by expung3 on Jan 6, 2013, 8:18:53 AM
This is the first move by GGG that worries me. I left the other game due to the massive, constant nerfing and changing of the game because the devs didn't like it that certain things were overused. Buff other stuff! Combined with the combined Global, and not being able to have a Merciless conversation due to "how do i get skillz, lul" spam...I just don't like the decisions, and would appreciate some developer clarification on the thought processes behind the decisions, and how they feel about them after getting some feedback.

Still love you, ggg, but I'm concerned over some decisions lately.
It's your game, but hopefully you're not going to ignore segments of
The community.

From my phone... Sorry for mistakes!
Ill miss phase run when OB hits, because im so used to using it and not having it will be a noticeable change. But like others have stated before, phase run is used by every build. If i dont use it i feel like im gimping myself. The mspeed boost is so great and usefull for pretty much everything which results in it taking up a green skill socket from the moment you get it. That said, im not a fan of having to use a flask slot for a similar effect, but since i dont know how many charges the new flask will have and eat upon use its hard to tell how much of an annoyance living without phase run will be.
ign:SerCleavy

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info