End of World - 21/12/2012

You know what, if it's true, I'm pretty excited for it. I'm curious to see exactly how our world will end.
"
Antilurker77 wrote:
The calender didn't take leap years into account, the "end of the world" happened months ago.

Also, archeologists found other calenders that go much further this one.

Also keep in mind the end of the world-calendar starts around the year 3100 BC. Not exactly accurate, if they refer to the creation of the world. And if they can't get that little thing right, I hardly think they got the end of the world right.

Not to mention the Mayans never said anything about Dec 21st 2012 being the end of the world. All we know is their calendar ends then, and the whole end of the world-thing was 'invented' later. In the worst case scenario, it's just the end of an era, and the start of another one, kinda like we celebrate New Year. Most likely, it's not even that. The date will come and go, and most people will be happily unaware the calendar even exists.

Edit: Come to think of it, the Mayans have several calenders. They follow one until it runs out, then simply start over again. Why should the long-term calendar be different?

On top of that, there are plenty of other reasons why the world can end at any time. There are already hundreds of comets or asteroids (I can never get those right) in orbit around the planet, and the planet is hit several times every single day. Most of the asteroids are so small they burn up in the atmosphere, but a few hit the ground. They are rarely bigger than a tennis ball, though. Still, there are plenty that's big enough to wipe out life on the entire planet, and they can hit at any time. Then there's the supervolcano under Yellowstone, global warming, pollution and countless other disasters waiting to happen.

As for global warming, that's a fact. The sun is dying, and because of that, it's constantly expanding into a white giant. It'll continue to grow until several planets in the solar system are absorbed by it (including Earth), before it shrinks into a red dwarf. This simply means the earth is getting warmer every year. Not much, fortunately, but it does get warmer. But don't worry, you won't notice much unless you live another 100.000 years or so. :) (by then the planet is so warm nothing can live here anymore.)

And then there's the aliens... What, you don't think we're alone in the universe? There are billions of planets just like Earth in the known universe, and we have explored around 5% or less of the universe, according to scientists. Why would anyone think we are alone? The only two questions that matter is if it's possible for aliens to visit us, and if they do, are they friendly?
"And that's how you die properly, sailor boy."
(The Witch)
Last edited by ExileDude on Dec 6, 2012, 2:14:04 PM
I do hope someone is not stupid enough to press those red buttons ( which ends up launching nuke bombs all across the world) causing mass destruction or a couple of nuclear power plants end up derping because some of the employees didn't want to show up on 12/21/2012. /sarcasm
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

I have no idea but I have the intention to wear my best suit that day in case it happens.

I will try to look good dying, I know that is stupid and makes no sense, I guess I have too large of an ego.

and...I know its grim, sorry to say but I actually REALLY wish for it to be the end, I wont explain why, too long, too complicated.

looking forward to 21.12.12, waiting for it...if nothing happens, well...my meaningless life will continue to go on for no real reason...sigh
"
ExileDude wrote:
*Snip*
And then there's the aliens... What, you don't think we're alone in the universe? There are billions of planets just like Earth in the known universe, and we have explored around 5% or less of the universe, according to scientists. Why would anyone think we are alone? The only two questions that matter is if it's possible for aliens to visit us, and if they do, are they friendly?

On topic. I wouldn't trust a Mayan with anything. Let alone the end of the world. I'm quite sure they've got their dates wrong.

Off Topic. I'm quite glad you've mentioned "Can they meet us?" Part of me expects that if alien life is ever discovered. We'll be more advanced than it. And then we get to play the role of the aliens in the generic 'alien invasion films'. Personally... I think as a race, right now. We'd lose that particular moral dilemma.

Cheery note. We might never have to find out! END OF THE WORLD 2012.

Ed: Quotation mistakes!
"Unless I'm Wrong"
----------------------------------------
Lahni ~ Sihane ~ Enywe
Last edited by SadistSquirrel on Dec 7, 2012, 7:01:27 PM
No way the world is going to end :D
"
ExileDude wrote:
"
Antilurker77 wrote:
The calender didn't take leap years into account, the "end of the world" happened months ago.

Also, archeologists found other calenders that go much further this one.

Also keep in mind the end of the world-calendar starts around the year 3100 BC. Not exactly accurate, if they refer to the creation of the world. And if they can't get that little thing right, I hardly think they got the end of the world right.

Not to mention the Mayans never said anything about Dec 21st 2012 being the end of the world. All we know is their calendar ends then, and the whole end of the world-thing was 'invented' later. In the worst case scenario, it's just the end of an era, and the start of another one, kinda like we celebrate New Year. Most likely, it's not even that. The date will come and go, and most people will be happily unaware the calendar even exists.

Edit: Come to think of it, the Mayans have several calenders. They follow one until it runs out, then simply start over again. Why should the long-term calendar be different?

On top of that, there are plenty of other reasons why the world can end at any time. There are already hundreds of comets or asteroids (I can never get those right) in orbit around the planet, and the planet is hit several times every single day. Most of the asteroids are so small they burn up in the atmosphere, but a few hit the ground. They are rarely bigger than a tennis ball, though. Still, there are plenty that's big enough to wipe out life on the entire planet, and they can hit at any time. Then there's the supervolcano under Yellowstone, global warming, pollution and countless other disasters waiting to happen.

As for global warming, that's a fact. The sun is dying, and because of that, it's constantly expanding into a white giant. It'll continue to grow until several planets in the solar system are absorbed by it (including Earth), before it shrinks into a red dwarf. This simply means the earth is getting warmer every year. Not much, fortunately, but it does get warmer. But don't worry, you won't notice much unless you live another 100.000 years or so. :) (by then the planet is so warm nothing can live here anymore.)

So interesting. I love these kind of comments.
Btw, as Coal48 says, I'll do and look my best that day.
Wait and see. I'm curious to see how many guys gonna try to do weird or crazy thing.
I don't really believe it'll happen. However I'm still looking forward to that day. I'll miss living and what not, but I certainly wont miss all the suffering and wars we have been through as human beings. I know hardships is what builds us into what we are today, but in reality were fighting over things that is insignificant compared to human lives. Yet somehow we outweigh those things by making are selves believe that these material objects are more important. This is simply my opinion though, it may not be right in any of your eyes. However there's little anyone could do to really make me believe other wise. We are who we are, what gives us the right to tell someone to change there ways or beliefs.
Well im going to be as drunk as i can that day, just in case...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info