Explanation of some changes in 0.9.13h

Once again I cant quote Chris' OP...

"
Chris wrote:
In 0.9.13h, screenshots will be saved in your Documents folder (under My Games\Path of Exile\Screenshots) rather than in the Path of Exile folder in Program Files.

Thanks. Can you also consider to move the logfile(s) to My Documents? And, add a possibility to set a limit on its maximum size, please?

"
namad wrote:
I know what I am doing with my computer, when I tell my computer I want to install e:\path of exile\ as the installation directory, I'd then expect/want/hope that screenshots would go there.

I know it's industry standard to put everything in my documents but... it's moronic! I've got like 481089410 million different folders which games want to save files to!

the only place that could ever conceivably be a consensus would be the user selected installation directory.

Its a 'standard' from safety viewings, coming from system design rules, Unix/Linux observed long time ago: the only file system structure a user has full access on, is below his own home folder, thats the similar thing to the 'my documents' on windows. These rules (posix?) define that applications and (user related) data has to be separated (Unix: /bin and /home)

And thats valid even for administrators, the system has to be and work the same way for every user on the machine...

Add: my reason to not want it in the install folder: I dont want to have files that change high frequently (logs) or that I may write often (screenshots) on the SSD the game is locaten on, just to reduce the (unneccessary) write cycles.

But I agree, in a user-defined setup it could(should?) be possible to define (at least) the top folder of the application's user data structure.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Last edited by Mr_Cee on Nov 30, 2012, 4:17:13 AM
"
sharkh20 wrote:
Big changes. While the change in rare name trading makes me sad, it's definitely a needed fix.

This is true. I can't helping thinking though the changes have been left as late as possible in order to maximize revenue from people buying tabs though.
well done Chris, my time arguing on and on about the rare matching recipes didn't come to waste. Let's see how it will turn out by the next patch and I will consider upgrade to new supporter pack.
IGN : Hungryneko
"
Mr_Cee wrote:

Thanks. Can you also consider to move the logfile(s) to My Documents? And, add a possibility to set a limit on its maximum size, please?

Please god no
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
Once again I cant quote Chris' OP...

"
Chris wrote:
In 0.9.13h, screenshots will be saved in your Documents folder (under My Games\Path of Exile\Screenshots) rather than in the Path of Exile folder in Program Files.

"
namad wrote:
I know what I am doing with my computer, when I tell my computer I want to install e:\path of exile\ as the installation directory, I'd then expect/want/hope that screenshots would go there.

I know it's industry standard to put everything in my documents but... it's moronic! I've got like 481089410 million different folders which games want to save files to!

the only place that could ever conceivably be a consensus would be the user selected installation directory.

Its a 'standard' from safety viewings, coming from system design rules, Unix/Linux observed long time ago: the only file system structure a user has full access on, is below his own home folder, thats the similar thing to the 'my documents' on windows. These rules (posix?) define that applications and (user related) data has to be separated (Unix: /bin and /home)

And thats valid even for administrators, the system has to be and work the same way for every user on the machine...

Add: my reason to not want it in the install folder: I dont want to have files that change high frequently (logs) or that I may write often (screenshots) on the SSD the game is locaten on, just to reduce the (unneccessary) write cycles.

But I agree, in a user-defined setup it could(should?) be possible to define (at least) the top folder of the application's user data structure.

I've got an old, small, cheap SSD, it contains my OS, it's got almost no additional room whatsoever, I've been forced to use 10281028102318018201 sym links to get things working, all because of this obsession with spewing user files all over creation, it would be one thing if they were all in /users/name/gamename (this is similar to the linux example i feel) but they're not, they're spewed randomly all over the place. my game is on my platter harddrive, 99.9% of my data is on my 3tb platter harddrive, sometimes it's just easier to never take a screenshot ever, rather than wasting a minute to make yet another sym link, yes I'm aware this is almost entirely microsoft's fault.

also, maybe you could disable the log file entirely by making it read only or something? would that work?
Last edited by namad on Nov 30, 2012, 5:08:45 AM
"
RandallPOE wrote:
This is true. I can't helping thinking though the changes have been left as late as possible in order to maximize revenue from people buying tabs though.

The revenue from the amount of stash tabs we have sold is a very very small amount of money, enough for only a few days of development costs. We definitely did not intend this vendor recipe to drive stash tab sales, nor do we believe it really has done so in any meaningful way. I suspect that financially it cost us more money dealing with the issues surrounding its balance than it actually generated in terms of people buying a few dozen stash tabs to try to get some advantage.

In Open Beta, each new account has four empty stash tabs. If players still want to collect rares at the new lower yield, they can certainly do so without spending any money. I personally believe that tabs are far, far more useful for traditional item storage.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
sharkh20 wrote:
Big changes. While the change in rare name trading makes me sad, it's definitely a needed fix.

I think the whole design of rare matching might be broken, in theory. the whole point of selling tabs was supposed to be to make it easier to sort things nicely, maybe make one whole page for swords, one whole page for blue gems, etc... just a nice little useful usability issue... not buy 30tabs and then run a 3rd party script that prints money for you.
(yes right now this problem isn't that wide spread, but post release? when people will do weird things like setup illegal 3rd party alchemy orb selling sites that sell 20alchemy orbs for 2$ illegally or some nonsense?)

I think rare-matching to get alchs is always going to be broken because people are just going to set up a trading bot or script or some such to help them process 100s of alchs from gear from other players, and just break the economy.

why not just make it so that rare-matching results in another rare item? this makes it almost as good as an alch for the purposes of doing your own rare matching to try and get your own gear, but makes it utterly useless as a method of trading? once you rare match two items maybe you should just get a 3rd item, same base item, that's rare, and unidentified? no one should want to trade for that? but it still makes it a nice little bonus for someone who happens to notice he has two identical names? there could possibly be an itemlevel bonus or something? just to ensure that there's a somewhat decent chance of the new random item being more useful to that player than what they started with?
Last edited by namad on Nov 30, 2012, 5:15:50 AM
"
Chris wrote:
"
RandallPOE wrote:

The revenue from the amount of stash tabs we have sold is a very very small amount of money, enough for only a few days of development costs. We definitely did not intend this vendor recipe to drive stash tab sales, nor do we believe it really has done so in any meaningful way. I suspect that financially it cost us more money dealing with the issues surrounding its balance than it actually generated in terms of people buying a few dozen stash tabs to try to get some advantage.

In Open Beta, each new account has four empty stash tabs. If players still want to collect rares at the new lower yield, they can certainly do so without spending any money. I personally believe that tabs are far, far more useful for traditional item storage.

Fair enough, I am just an eternal cynic! When people take the time to explain their reasoning it puts my mind at rest
Last edited by RandallPOE on Nov 30, 2012, 5:15:59 AM
Nice to see hybrid armours buffed and shields nerfed a bit.
"
We've changed the vendor recipes related to matching rares that have the same name. It's still possible to get Orbs of Alchemy and Regal Orbs, but is more complex and costly. As usual, we're not revealing the exact recipes, but I'm sure people will work them out sooner or later. The new ones are balanced so that arbitrarily filling stash tabs with rares isn't as profitable as before, but there are still ways that clever players can profit from the time spent matching rares. This change will substantially reduce the economic consequences of rare matching.

:D

I have been gathering a lot of reasons to change the recipe over 2 months and was soon going to be making a topic about it. It was delayed a bit when a topic about rare matching vs rare vendor was brought up so I read through every post there to see what other opinions people had about the issue since its pretty close to the recipe problem. After some of the things I read I kind of started to not hate the recipe as much so wouldv'e been relatively okay with it going into open beta.

This was one of the few things that was making it hard for me to call path of exile the perfect game. Hopefully this change fixes the problems I had with it. I am a little sad though that all the time I spent was a waste lol... It didn't make sense though that the recipe might remain unchanged since GGG has done everything else right... if it was any other company it would be understandable.

I am seriously so happy about this change..
General Racing Guide for Act 1
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/366585

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info