[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

[sold]
Last edited by Wurps on Jul 24, 2015, 1:15:09 AM
Started using herald of ice, herald of thunder, and arctic armor, works pretty nicely, adds a lot of damage as well.

Going to try linking herald of thunder to curse on hit and poacher's mark (for the free frenzy charges)
and link herald of ice to innervate for the free onslaught.
I feel like cold penetration is probably better than conc effect for barrage.

Lets say both gems are max level. If your target has 75% cold res conc effect adds 48% damage but 75% gets resisted so really only 12% more damage. While Cold pen will be giving a flat increase of 34% damage. Even with only 25% cold resist conc effect will only add 36% more damage.

At least I think that's how it works ;p

Also was just wondering what skills you use defensively and for vaal gems. I have been ripping through pretty much everything but it's good to be prepared.

I have two defensive links now.

CWDT + Molten shell + temp chains + Ice golem

Ranged attack totem + Ice shot + gmp + blind

For Vaal gems I was thinking rain of arrows or maybe summon skeletons just to distract mobs some time.
Last edited by pierce768 on Jul 24, 2015, 9:26:34 AM
"
pierce768 wrote:
I feel like cold penetration is probably better than conc effect for barrage.

Lets say both gems are max level. If your target has 75% cold res conc effect adds 48% damage but 75% gets resisted so really only 12% more damage. While Cold pen will be giving a flat increase of 34% damage. Even with only 25% cold resist conc effect will only add 36% more damage.

At least I think that's how it works ;p

Also was just wondering what skills you use defensively and for vaal gems. I have been ripping through pretty much everything but it's good to be prepared.

I have two defensive links now.

CWDT + Molten shell + temp chains + Ice golem

Ranged attack totem + Ice shot + gmp + blind

For Vaal gems I was thinking rain of arrows or maybe summon skeletons just to distract mobs some time.

Probably true against max res targets.

I recently swapped to double cold snap instead of cold snap + conc, if you added frostbite or ele weakness to the mix it would probably work better than cold pen (and make cold pen less effective as a result)

I don't really use anything defensive right now due to lack of link space, but I would use a vaal haste or vaal grace if I had one
Last edited by Wurps on Jul 24, 2015, 12:20:53 PM
Gotcha, yea double cold snap is probably the way to go. I was thinking more for a 6 link.

Also try out that totem when you get the chance. It's pretty amazing, it shoots so damn fast. Doesn't do damage but keeps things off of you.
"
pierce768 wrote:
Gotcha, yea double cold snap is probably the way to go. I was thinking more for a 6 link.

Also try out that totem when you get the chance. It's pretty amazing, it shoots so damn fast. Doesn't do damage but keeps things off of you.

Back before they reduced the frequency of flame totem's fire I linked it to knockback blind and gmp for a defensive totem, it was pretty amazing.

I'm currently still theorycrafting optimal links, I'm currently experimenting with:

Herald of Ice + Innervate + Curse on Hit + Poacher's Mark

It makes the shatter explosion apply the curse, which then gives me frenzy charges for free whenever I kill stuff, the innervate shocks stuff sometimes (even more) and gives me onslaught sometimes (20% aspd/movespd for a bit)

Effortless frenzy charges and onslaught just for killing stuff normally is pretty sweet.
"
Wurps wrote:
Back before they reduced the frequency of flame totem's fire I linked it to knockback blind and gmp for a defensive totem, it was pretty amazing.

I'm currently still theorycrafting optimal links, I'm currently experimenting with:

It makes the shatter explosion apply the curse, which then gives me frenzy charges for free whenever I kill stuff, the innervate shocks stuff sometimes (even more) and gives me onslaught sometimes (20% aspd/movespd for a bit)

Effortless frenzy charges and onslaught just for killing stuff normally is pretty sweet.

Sadly I can't run that curse set up yet. I actually have to run purity of elements because my resists are so bad. Too many uniques + thief's torment make capping out slightly difficult. I'm very close though.

Once I'm capped I will definitely try that link set up. I currently have Innervate + HoI but it doesn't seem to proc very often because cold snap usually kills things, still nice though.

Once I have capped resists I also want to try running no auras or heralds and using Clear Mind and 1 or 2 fevered mind jewels. 120% increased spell damage sounds pretty solid =D

Should be able to run that very soon, I'll come back with my findings.
"
pierce768 wrote:
"
Wurps wrote:

Sadly I can't run that curse set up yet. I actually have to run purity of elements because my resists are so bad. Too many uniques + thief's torment make capping out slightly difficult. I'm very close though.

Once I'm capped I will definitely try that link set up. I currently have Innervate + HoI but it doesn't seem to proc very often because cold snap usually kills things, still nice though.

Once I have capped resists I also want to try running no auras or heralds and using Clear Mind and 1 or 2 fevered mind jewels. 120% increased spell damage sounds pretty solid =D

Should be able to run that very soon, I'll come back with my findings.

I didn't bother using maligaro's or rat's nest this time, I didn't feel the loss of health resistance and accuracy warranted the crit.

Clear mind/fevered mind are overshadowed by a lot of regular jewels you can get, I'm using stuff like 15% area damage+15% cold damage+global crit+accuracy
Dont know if anyone mentioned this before, but is Lioneye's potentially better than Quill Rain? You can drop all the accuracy nodes on the tree and it still has pretty decent APS.
Too. Much. Clutter.
hey Wurps, don't you think quill's rain is too low on base crit for this?

Im following up the tree pretty much to the letter, my gear is pretty decent for my level and i find spamming alot without criting at all.

Or could this be just an side effect of low level cast on crit?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info