[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

@lazerpickle I only get like 3 accuracy nodes, and they're also attack speed. Lioneye's glare would not be worth it, would cut average crits per second in half.

"
arkbone wrote:
hey Wurps, don't you think quill's rain is too low on base crit for this?

Im following up the tree pretty much to the letter, my gear is pretty decent for my level and i find spamming alot without criting at all.

Or could this be just an side effect of low level cast on crit?

You'll need to focus on crit nodes pretty hard, ignore life and stuff until you get them, even if it makes you a bit of a glass cannon.

Quill rain is great due to the speed (and projectile speed as a bonus)

There are many benefits of having a rapid firing weapon as opposed to a slower firing weapon with equivalent crits per second

Say for example you had a harbinger bow with 10% base crit and 1.5 attack speed instead of quill rain's 5% base crit and 3.0 attack speed, the following things would be different:

1. Rate of flask refilling much worse with a slower weapon
2. Sustainability when using thief's torment would be worse (about half as much hp regen)
3. Ability to quickly move after attacking is faster if you end your animation faster, can assist in dodging.
4. Your very first attack would have a higher chance of being a crit which could be nice sometimes, but if you get unlucky and your first 1 or 2 attacks don't crit with a slow weapon it would be devastating.
5. The effectiveness of poacher's mark/assassin's mark is reduced with a slower weapon. Assassin's mark increases chance to be crit by a flat amount, so quill rain is very good with it.
6. The projectile speed from quill rain is actually pretty nice, greatly increases the speed at which things die due to chain bounces being almost instant and projectile travel time not being a negative factor.
Last edited by Wurps on Jul 26, 2015, 12:28:40 PM
"
Wurps wrote:
"
pierce768 wrote:
I feel like cold penetration is probably better than conc effect for barrage.

Lets say both gems are max level. If your target has 75% cold res conc effect adds 48% damage but 75% gets resisted so really only 12% more damage. While Cold pen will be giving a flat increase of 34% damage. Even with only 25% cold resist conc effect will only add 36% more damage.

At least I think that's how it works ;p

Also was just wondering what skills you use defensively and for vaal gems. I have been ripping through pretty much everything but it's good to be prepared.

I have two defensive links now.

CWDT + Molten shell + temp chains + Ice golem

Ranged attack totem + Ice shot + gmp + blind

For Vaal gems I was thinking rain of arrows or maybe summon skeletons just to distract mobs some time.

Probably true against max res targets.

I recently swapped to double cold snap instead of cold snap + conc, if you added frostbite or ele weakness to the mix it would probably work better than cold pen (and make cold pen less effective as a result)

I don't really use anything defensive right now due to lack of link space, but I would use a vaal haste or vaal grace if I had one

So you're using 2x cold snap linked to barrage? Is it better than glacial cascade? How does that work with the internal 50ms cooldown for CoC on spells with the same name (see wiki)?

Edit: Also, how often does onslaught proc for you?
Last edited by BattleLeader on Jul 26, 2015, 4:59:17 PM
Can this build be played on tempest? Also do you have trouble with reflect mobs?
"
rydall wrote:
Can this build be played on tempest? Also do you have trouble with reflect mobs?

If you have life leech and vaal pact reflect won't even hurt you, but if you don't it can hurt a decent amount depending on the size of the pack you hit, for example if a group of tightly packed sand crabs unburrow and you accidentally go ham on them, you might die without a sapphire flask.

Another danger you will face is heavy amounts of physical damage before you pop your flasks, evasion is naturally bad on hardcore due to just getting one shot, maybe you could experiment with an iron reflexes version of the build instead
"
Wurps wrote:
@lazerpickle I only get like 3 accuracy nodes, and they're also attack speed. Lioneye's glare would not be worth it, would cut average crits per second in half.

"
arkbone wrote:
hey Wurps, don't you think quill's rain is too low on base crit for this?

Im following up the tree pretty much to the letter, my gear is pretty decent for my level and i find spamming alot without criting at all.

Or could this be just an side effect of low level cast on crit?

You'll need to focus on crit nodes pretty hard, ignore life and stuff until you get them, even if it makes you a bit of a glass cannon.

Quill rain is great due to the speed (and projectile speed as a bonus)

There are many benefits of having a rapid firing weapon as opposed to a slower firing weapon with equivalent crits per second

Say for example you had a harbinger bow with 10% base crit and 1.5 attack speed instead of quill rain's 5% base crit and 3.0 attack speed, the following things would be different:

1. Rate of flask refilling much worse with a slower weapon
2. Sustainability when using thief's torment would be worse (about half as much hp regen)
3. Ability to quickly move after attacking is faster if you end your animation faster, can assist in dodging.
4. Your very first attack would have a higher chance of being a crit which could be nice sometimes, but if you get unlucky and your first 1 or 2 attacks don't crit with a slow weapon it would be devastating.
5. The effectiveness of poacher's mark/assassin's mark is reduced with a slower weapon. Assassin's mark increases chance to be crit by a flat amount, so quill rain is very good with it.
6. The projectile speed from quill rain is actually pretty nice, greatly increases the speed at which things die due to chain bounces being almost instant and projectile travel time not being a negative factor.

Yeah i found out my issue soon after posting, it was the fact that i had life leech instead of chain in my 5l Voll's. Getting chain increased my clear speed by tons.
I'm enjoying your build quite a lot, thank's for the build / explanation on weapon.
Okay great. Thank you.

Are you able to upload some more videos? Want to see how this build does in higher level.
"
rydall wrote:
Okay great. Thank you.

Are you able to upload some more videos? Want to see how this build does in higher level.

I'll probably upload a lvl 70+ one sooner or later, but what I can tell you now is that it still tears things apart in maps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR7vCqKRV0c

Hey I decided to upload a level 80 video of a map I did to show how the build looks like and as a thank you for sharing this build. I had to go afk and didn't want to edit the video for the full clear so sorry for the pretty short video. There were 2 exiles and some mobs to show the idea of the build though.

I only have the split arrow 5 linked in my bow (see below), and my single target (barrage) is only a 4 link. I also run Herald of ice + Curse on hit + poacher's Mark + Innervate and I cast Assassin's Mark manually. I'm also running Voll's Protector and am trying to replace it somehow.

New longer video with commentary at level 73

https://youtu.be/CsZbP2reJkk
[removed]
Last edited by Wurps on Aug 2, 2015, 12:07:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info