[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

@HeyterVic
Yeah the totem dies pretty easy if they can hit it, but usually they can't even get close to it.

I recently used it against the Oak boss in a map and it was pretty hilarious, I had him pinned against a wall and he kept trying to leap slam it, but was knocked back midair and ended up never hitting anything.

@phalen78
Weapon damage doesn't matter at all for this build, all of the damage comes from the spells. The base attack speed is insane. I will likely never replace it for this build.

Note for anyone playing in standard, you should probably use the voll's devotion amulet for this build. It would be insanely OP. I'm pretty sad it's not in domination league :(

Just thinking of all the extra tankiness and group utility from giving everyone infinite endurance charges and how good codt immortal call would be will perma maxed endurance charges..
Last edited by Wurps on Dec 10, 2013, 4:45:00 PM
Hey there,
I'm trying to make some pvp build here, using the principle of your build but with a wand:

and I'm also using shav so I can go low life and deal more damage:

I'll be using the new skill barrage, and I was wondering what spell do you believe is doing the most single target damage using cast on crit
IGN: DullahanTheHeadless
Turns out barrage is ludicrously overpowered for this build (as I expected/hoped)

Killed piety in 3 seconds with a 5 link.

New optimal single target dps link:
Barrage + GMP + Cast on Crit + (Arctic Breath or Fireball) + (Arctic Breath or Fireball) + Concentrated Effect

@TheTaioro
Cold snap has been pretty great, but you couldn't do that without a voll's protector.

Not sure what else to use for pvp, honestly.
Last edited by Wurps on Dec 11, 2013, 1:03:35 AM
thx for the response Wurps! :)

i have a 5l6s quill rain, used a crap load of fuses to get 5l - will keep an eye out for a 6l in trade.
"
Wurps wrote:
Turns out barrage is ludicrously overpowered for this build (as I expected/hoped)

Killed piety in 3 seconds with a 5 link.

New optimal single target dps link:
Barrage + GMP + Cast on Crit + (Arctic Breath or Fireball) + (Arctic Breath or Fireball) + Concentrated Effect

Yea, it's really powerful:) Constant spam of firestorm, fireball and arctic breath - for sure the best idea VS single targets. Also keeping 1 lvl makes it almost free to cast. 8lvl multiplied by CoC = 11mana for 3 arrows. For now I don't want to try it with GMP, it might be slightly better but +additiona mana cost and +1 green socet on voll's is needed (shitloads of chroms to make it 3g3b). With that attack speed not-buffed Barrage is enough, imo.

Some thoughts after 2h of testing:
- mana cost will never be an issue with Thief's Torment, thats a great advantage, even with GMP (2x cost) we only need 16mana for 8 arrows!
- big spread of barrage makes it very unstable, we can CoC quick or wait a little
- no frenzy means no frenzy charges = no attack speed bonus (16% per charge on 19lvl frenzy) and no 4% eva bonus per charge

I'm torn between frenzy & barrage for now:/ Can't say "this one is much better".

About Flame Totem idea - it's worth a reward:) Best caster/ranger friend for life. It makes gameplay more strategic and smarter. Molten shell is bullshit with low lvl CwDT, decoy totem too if we are using enduring cry, so here comes the blinding Flame. Great work Wurpo!
Last edited by HeyterVic on Dec 11, 2013, 7:11:45 AM
Hello guys!

I am playing in domination, and thinking about rerolling to this build, but I am not really conviced in every aspect yet.
I have a few questions:

How good is the survivability?
Is this party-viable? (due to skill-spam lags)
How essential voll's protector is? (wana use tabula)

Thanks in advance!
"
Mephist0 wrote:
How good is the survivability?
Fairly good for a glass cannon. You're unlikely to die to anything that can't 1 shot you if you stay mobile, although the build does have some (fairly manageable) issues with reflect, shielded mobs and lightning thorns. You may also find you need to sink a considerable amount of currency into this build to take it into higher level maps.

"
Mephist0 wrote:
Is this party-viable? (due to skill-spam lags)
Barely, you may be tolerated as the rest of the group will typically be following you around picking off the occasional mob left in your wake while they discuss how bad the lag is.

"
Mephist0 wrote:
How essential voll's protector is? (wana use tabula)
I leveled a variant of this build to 84 with Tabula Rasa and found the crit rate to be more than adequate without power charges, although I'd recommend using Maligaro's and a Rat's Nest to close the gap a bit. Tabula Rasa was great for testing different spell combos while leveling and it was nice being able to swap spells around to deal with phys/ele reflect maps, but you're going to want to replace it eventually.

Also +1 to Barrage for single target. It'll be even better if it gains an additional projectile at higher levels.
Last edited by darkflame on Dec 11, 2013, 9:20:30 AM
@HeyterVic Even with GMP the mana cost is only 22. That's 8 arrows for 22 mana, if all arrows hit you get back 120 mana. Easily worth it.

Also, you can still use frenzy just to keep up the charges, that's what I do.

I don't have perfect links, but I tried out barrage + gmp + castoncrit + arctic breath + fireball last night in a 5 link and killed piety in literally 3 seconds

with concentrated effect tacked on to that.. probably would be 1.5 seconds

Edit:
Just made a video showing barrage off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKP7w3JGPvU

Didn't hit piety with all of the spells, but still kills her quick
Last edited by Wurps on Dec 11, 2013, 12:42:01 PM
"
Wurps wrote:
@HeyterVic Even with GMP the mana cost is only 22. That's 8 arrows for 22 mana, if all arrows hit you get back 120 mana. Easily worth it.

Also, you can still use frenzy just to keep up the charges, that's what I do.

I don't have perfect links, but I tried out barrage + gmp + castoncrit + arctic breath + fireball last night in a 5 link and killed piety in literally 3 seconds

with concentrated effect tacked on to that.. probably would be 1.5 seconds

Edit:
Just made a video showing barrage off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKP7w3JGPvU

Didn't hit piety with all of the spells, but still kills her quick

That barely zero mana cost make Barrage really useful despite all other facts. With Frenzy I lose mana really fast and sometime It's annoying to wait until crits refill flask again. I tried clarity with mana reduced to get +6 regen/s and cutting mana pool by 90 but It was just a cosmetic improvement. I was thinking about Blood Dance boots to gain frenzy on kill and other nice stuff like 1%life regen/charge. What do you think about it Wurpo?
Thank you darkflame for your response.
I am afraid that this isnt the perfect build for me then :( I would really like to reign hundreds of spells on the enemies, but I mostly play in groups, with quite a lot people with low-end pc, or lagging mac client.
Maybe in the sometime in the future :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info