[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

Are the first 3% attack speed nodes off the Scion tree really better than the 6% spell damage nodes that could be taken instead?
"
Wurps wrote:
New barrage skill looks amazing for this build.

Best setup for single target would probably be:

Barrage + GMP + CastOnCrit + Arctic Breath + Arctic Breath + Arctic Breath

(gmp gives barrage extra shots, not a fanned out shot like usual, super nice!)

you'll have to be semi-close to them for this to work, but it should do pretty heavy damage with all of them hitting the same target

I was thinking of the same idea:) Barrage really turns me on and I can't wait to try it. This spread looks tricky though. So mid/close range is the best option here. I hope mana cost will not be too high (especially if we want to double it by GMP). Why do choose Artic Breath here Wurpo? Not ice spear or fireball? Or maybe 3-combo of all.
Anyway... quill rain speed + barrage = M134 Minigun.

There is a big "but" here... getting 3xgreen socs (if Barrage is green) in Voll's might be very hard to get;/
Last edited by HeyterVic on Dec 10, 2013, 3:41:37 AM
"
HeyterVic wrote:
Firestorm looks cool, makes lot of hits(crits for flasks and life/mana on hit) and is great with Projectile Weakness to kick monsters away.

Wow, it is really great for the flask charges. :)

@Barrage
Wow, really cool. :) Quill Rain + barrage is going to be so hillarious. :D
I do also prefer different attacks. Helps a bit against fighting resi mobs.
IGN: Scordalia_
Reached all the nodes on guide and build is really funny got a 5L Quill but still working on 6L and geting the Voll's on the rigth colors. After end folloing guide i went for Ligthning alker and frost walker (Gettign more elemental ress +damage sounds good but still not sure if it is bes option if someone has some feedback would be nice ). But still have a question when a item improves weapon's elemental damage is affecting the spells casted on CoC or that atibute is worthless on this build?
A couple of things.

1. How do you feel about mana on kill nodes? These can be HUGE for builds like these.

2. How crucial is Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics in making this build work? I can't see the benefit to the build over additional life nodes (especially for the HC version).

3. Is the Spellpower (40% spell crit) necessary for the EK/VP variation? I assume you are keeping some spells or do you swap all CoC spells out for EK/LL?

Thanks!
@projhex
You could go either way. I prefer the attack speed for more consistent procs.

@Ciberyo
Weapon elemental damage doesn't apply to cast on crit spells (or spells at all)

@jdweber1982
1. Useless, thief's torment gives 15 mana on hit, this build hits 60 times per attack if you're hitting at least 5 enemies. That's a lot of mana.
2. With a surgeon's jade flask of reflexes you become nearly immune to projectile attacks, and very hard to hit with melee attacks. This is very nice, especially combined with the blind totem I now use (I should really put that in the first post soon)
3. It's not necessary. EK is a spell though, so it does benefit from it. You can remove it if you want.

@HeyterVic
Ice spear can't shotgun single targets, only one of the five would hit. Arctic breath GMP can all hit the same enemy, resulting in very high damage.
I'll actually probably use 2x arctic breath and concentrated effect for more damage overall.

Mana cost shouldn't be an issue, barrage hitting a ton of times will actually be far easier to upkeep than frenzy, another added bonus! Can't wait for that patch.
@Wurpo

Ye, aoe skills are suited for barrage if we want it for single target. That led me to idea to pick up BLAST RADIUS passive (12% area dmg and some are radius), it's going to boost cold snap in Quill Rain also. Or maybe its better to take 30str and head for 8% nodes in the top?
Anyway we need barrage projectiles to hit the target in order to cast on crit, so if on mid range only let say 2 out of 5 will hit, barrage will be worse than frenzy. Standing close is really dangerous for this build. Barrage needs some testing. I hope we will find the gem quick!
@HeyterVic
Have you tried the flame totem + gmp + knockback + blind setup? It reduces the rare/boss's chance to hit to 25%, then that's rolled again on the huge evasion from the jade flask.

It'll be safe in most cases. Also, barrage's attack speed will likely be ridiculous with this build. You saw how fast it was in the video, and that was likely at 1.2 or so attacks per second, imagine it being 5x faster.
"
Wurps wrote:
@HeyterVic
Have you tried the flame totem + gmp + knockback + blind setup? It reduces the rare/boss's chance to hit to 25%, then that's rolled again on the huge evasion from the jade flask.

It'll be safe in most cases. Also, barrage's attack speed will likely be ridiculous with this build. You saw how fast it was in the video, and that was likely at 1.2 or so attacks per second, imagine it being 5x faster.

Actually I have no place for totem on my gear. I need to throw away enfeeble and decoy totem and make only one piece with CwDT. Pity, that there will be no place for increased duration, if I choose CwDT+immortal call+endurance cry+molten shell (but maybe molten shell is useless there, 400 additional armor only is not stunning). Is your totem easy to be destroyed by enemies? I was thinking to get quaility one for more hp.

About barrage - that's why I am excited about this:) Huge potential. But... I will be fully delighted when I try it myself and see if it really meet my expectations.
are you still using Quill Rain?

when did you start using it, and why keep using it over bows with more dmg?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info