[1.3]Cold Witch guide for beginners (Lvl 1 to Atziri)

Hey, just wondering what the best way to deal with the Mana Leech Nerfs are? I had a IR CI Freezing Pulser that went balls-up after the nerf, gonna respec into this tree (In Standard so the loss of Tankiness doesn't really matter) and wondering if I need to get more mana regen on the tree or whether gearing for it will be enough. Thanks
"
AraShaun wrote:
Hey, just wondering what the best way to deal with the Mana Leech Nerfs are? I had a IR CI Freezing Pulser that went balls-up after the nerf, gonna respec into this tree (In Standard so the loss of Tankiness doesn't really matter) and wondering if I need to get more mana regen on the tree or whether gearing for it will be enough. Thanks

You don't need mana leech with this build.
A lvl 20 FP with cold pen./life leech/LMP/pcoc for example and some cast speed from the tree that gets it down to 0.53 seconds per cast needs 140 mana per second. With 1000 mana pool and a lvl 15 clarity the 80% increased mana reg from the tree will get you 67 mana per second. The difference can be covered by using a mana flask (a hallowed gives more than 100 per second over 7 seconds). Even without further manareg on gear you should be able to cast fp 15-20 times a row. That's something that rarely happens in normal gameplay as you aren't supposed to facetank enemies. Instead you cast several times and then you reposition. The short break usually is enough for the manareg to fill the manapool up again even without using a flask.

BTW mana leech nerf is overrated. INT based chars live off their "natural" manareg and mana flasks. Unless one plays EK with high cast speed using a mana leech gem can (and should) be avoided.

EDIT: Just remembered that you get extra 40% manareg from the templar + shadow side. That ups the mana per second to 82.
Last edited by Bada_Bing on Mar 16, 2014, 3:02:29 PM
Is the OP updated for 1.1 / 1.1.1 ?
"
RagnarokX wrote:
Is the OP updated for 1.1 / 1.1.1 ?

yes
tbh, i asked because i checked your Trees and they look WILD to say the least.
Both the endgame and the 83ish CI Trees seem really subpar. I was wondering if maybe you didnt update them yet, but it seems you did.
"
RagnarokX wrote:
tbh, i asked because i checked your Trees and they look WILD to say the least.
Both the endgame and the 83ish CI Trees seem really subpar. I was wondering if maybe you didnt update them yet, but it seems you did.

*shrug* Make your own build then. I ain't the pope speaking ex cathedra.
In the life build (not the optimized one at the end) you spent 3 points to get 60% crit (Doomcast). You could get 80% crit instead by getting Bloodthirst (60%, 2 points) and additionally 20% with the node after Assassination. Drawback is loosing the 20 Int you get on the way to Doomcast.

Thank you for the nice guide, btw.
Last edited by Noisette on Mar 18, 2014, 4:38:09 PM
"
Noisette wrote:
In the life build (not the optimized one at the end) you spent 3 points to get 60% crit (Doomcast). You could get 80% crit instead by getting Bloodthirst (60%, 2 points) and additionally 20% with the node after Assassination. Drawback is loosing the 20 Int you get on the way to Doomcast.

Thank you for the nice guide, btw.

You are right. Taking it might be due to an old habit picking it with my CI chars. It doesn't matter for the optimized life tree without power charges, but while leveling it's a bit better taking Bloodthirst first and doom cast in the end.
Hey BadaBing, I'm looking to start this build soon. Thanks for writing this up! I played a CI FP Witch as my very first character back in open beta and loved it. What would you say is a realistic limit as far as maps are concerned without spending more than, say, about an exalt per gear slot? Should I expect to hit a wall somewhere between 72-75 maps?
"
Anesthetize34 wrote:
Hey BadaBing, I'm looking to start this build soon. Thanks for writing this up! I played a CI FP Witch as my very first character back in open beta and loved it. What would you say is a realistic limit as far as maps are concerned without spending more than, say, about an exalt per gear slot? Should I expect to hit a wall somewhere between 72-75 maps?

With mediocre gear any build (summoners aside) will have trouble playing high maps. After all a decent 5L chest will cost much more that 1 exalt. But chest aside, that budget should get you gear good enough for low 70s maps, although much depends on the mods and what map your playing (Jungle valley and torture chamber, both 72 have pretty difficult bosses; the 74 underground river is easy on the other hand).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info