Chain

"
Kadajko wrote:
I think ''50% less damage'' should be reworked into ''50% less projectile dmg''.

It used to be that, afaik, but arc was too powerful (oh the irony).

I can't remember where it was suggested, but a good compromise would be: "20% less damage, 25% less projectile damage".
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
"
Kadajko wrote:
I think ''50% less damage'' should be reworked into ''50% less projectile dmg''.

It used to be that, afaik, but arc was too powerful (oh the irony).

I can't remember where it was suggested, but a good compromise would be: "20% less damage, 25% less projectile damage".

Any less dmg what so ever for arc can only be discussed if arc starts to work like multistrike gem, aka ''New targets are selected for subsequent chains if available.'' If not allow arc to chain to the same target, if it's there alone.

Because spreading damage across a few targets while having a little less damage on the first 3 for HUGE mana cost multi is ok, but reducing the single target dps so dramatically and still having the ridiculous mana multi is fuckin unacceptable.

Now having some extra damage on the single target for a huge mana multi is again fair.
Last edited by Kadajko on Oct 8, 2013, 1:54:53 AM
So is this gem will eventually be changed to something useful on anything else than ethereal knives or lightning arrows?
Last edited by SmilingCat on Oct 27, 2013, 9:03:12 AM
"
SmilingCat wrote:
So is this gem will eventually be changed to something useful on anything else than ethereal knives or lightning arrows?

Yes bring back chain please

Damage penalty is too harsh
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
I'd like to see the 50% damage reduced. Looking at supporting arc with chain for more bounces, but the damage output is sub par. I don't want to be off topic of chain, but I've seen many comparisons with LMP and GMP. Something like arc that is not considered a projectile is left alone and doesn't have as many support gems as other projectile attacks.

The mana cost should be fine because many people who want to use chain will be casters that use mana and would make the trade off if the benefit was good enough, but chain needs a damage boost to be on par with other supports.
Last edited by XYZkill3r on Nov 14, 2013, 2:20:56 PM
Made a suggestion that Chain ought to be changed to reflect how Chain used to be but also include other skills, primarily Arc.

Chain would change to:
40% Less Projectile Damage (50% Less Projectile Damage is also reasonable)
Chain +2 Chain
Subsequent Chains Deal 20% Less Damage (eg. first hit may deal 100-200 damage, first chain deal 80-160 damage, second chain 64-128 etc.
Gains +1 Chain at gem level 5, 12, 18, 22.
+0.5-2% Increased Damage per gem level

You gain damage with increase number of chains which is why I'm not that keen on increased damage per gem level trait being 2% or existing.

Arc also would also change, read here for those interested: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55266/page/63#p6113603

I think this is super fair.
I would automatically triple totem Arc Chain that. Burst damage is so good with it chaining it doesn't resolve the issue with self casting it vs other methods.
My chain said

8%increased damage

Chain 2x

50% less damage.

Does that mean that the original projectiles had 8% increase damage and the 2 extra projectiles have 50% less damage?

Cuz I have a setup

Split Arrow + Faster Attacks + Increased critical damage

1497 DPS

Split Arrow + Faster Attacks + Increased critical damage + chain

767.4 DPS

?????
Damage multipliers always apply to the entire Skill in question. All hits with Split Arrow deal 50% Less Damage.

The DPS display is complete shit. It ignores additional Projectiles, Pierce, Fork, Chain, enemy defenses... *shrug*
I feel like this gem currently needs some love, because most of the time, I don't see the slightest reason to use it over pierce.

There's only 2 builds I can currently think of that can make use of it, Arc and Split Arrow. Out of those 2, one of them also has an expiration date, because split arrow will switch to pierce as soon as a Drillneck is acquired.

The 50% dmg reduction seems a bit overbearing when most projectile skills want to be linked with LMP/GMP, resulting in extreme damage reduction that make little use of % increases.

Even the mana multiplier is kinda ridiculous to be honest. 175% is a bit too much and only makes it worse for the gem, since BM users will most likely avoid it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info