Chain

Arc should never, ever be linked to Chain, it is a straight downgrade.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Arc should never, ever be linked to Chain, it is a straight downgrade.

Well, that makes it even worse, since it means it's only down to split arrow then. And that's until Drillneck drops.

The damage trade-off is just too much on top of everything else. (its quality bonus is also quite poor)
Why this gem is so rare, according to http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Chain we'll get it nearly the end of main storyline, seems not fair for gem meant to be used from 31 lvl. Self-founders' sadness.
Last edited by Kedisi on Aug 28, 2014, 1:25:21 PM
"
Kedisi wrote:
Why this gem is so rare, according to http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Chain we'll get it nearly the end of main storyline, seems not fair for gem meant to be used from 31 lvl. Self-founders' sadness.

I think the idea was that it's supposed to be a luxury Fork, like GMP is the deluxe edition of LMP. Still, it is a bit annoying. If anything, Chain should be the 'beginner' option and Fork the 'advanced' option, since Fork is much harder to use effectively.
I can't really see any reason myself to use Chain over Pierce. Chain's huge mana multiplier and 50% less damage make it impossible to use with what most people will probably link with Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles.

Even with something like Split Shot, most people are using Pierce to hope to use Drillneck later, so they wouldn't even consider Pierce.

Many projectile spells either explode on hit, such as Fireball or Arctic Breath, or automatically Pierce such as Freezing Pulse, Incinerate, Ice Spear, etc and do not benefit from chaining as they don't explode on each target hit. Even attacks that do, which I believe Lightning Arrow and Ice Arrow do, Pierce still comes out on top, especially thanks to Piercing Quivers and Pierce Passives (and Drillneck if you are capable of getting one) and does not take an additional 50% damage loss.

Even as an option for wands who can't use Drillneck or Piercing Quivers, 59-74% chance to Pierce from a gem is still high enough to use effectively without suffering the huge damage reduction.

I can understand that for chain, it can bounce back and hit the same target, bouncing back and hitting the same target with a 50% damage reduction is still only 100% damage. Since it only chains twice, it can't get any better than that. Splitting it further with Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles really takes a hit to the damage that it no longer matters how many times it bounces, and again in Split Shot's case, Pierce will work better.

I don't think Fork is ever an option due to its awkward 120 degree angle in which it splits into. The only situation I think it'd be fine is for Spark due to Spark's already seemingly random movement which makes the 120 degree angle a nonexistent issue.

Chain needs two of following to change: its damage reduction, the number of times it chains, and/or the mana multiplier.
Last edited by darkwolf7786 on Sep 13, 2014, 11:18:20 PM
"
darkwolf7786 wrote:
I can't really see any reason myself to use Chain over Pierce. Chain's huge mana multiplier and 50% less damage make it impossible to use with what most people will probably link with Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles.

Even with something like Split Shot, most people are using Pierce to hope to use Drillneck later, so they wouldn't even consider Pierce.

Many projectile spells either explode on hit, such as Fireball or Arctic Breath, or automatically Pierce such as Freezing Pulse, Incinerate, Ice Spear, etc and do not benefit from chaining as they don't explode on each target hit. Even attacks that do, which I believe Lightning Arrow and Ice Arrow do, Pierce still comes out on top, especially thanks to Piercing Quivers and Pierce Passives (and Drillneck if you are capable of getting one) and does not take an additional 50% damage loss.

Even as an option for wands who can't use Drillneck or Piercing Quivers, 59-74% chance to Pierce from a gem is still high enough to use effectively without suffering the huge damage reduction.

I can understand that for chain, it can bounce back and hit the same target, bouncing back and hitting the same target with a 50% damage reduction is still only 100% damage. Since it only chains twice, it can't get any better than that. Splitting it further with Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles really takes a hit to the damage that it no longer matters how many times it bounces, and again in Split Shot's case, Pierce will work better.

I don't think Fork is ever an option due to its awkward 120 degree angle in which it splits into. The only situation I think it'd be fine is for Spark due to Spark's already seemingly random movement which makes the 120 degree angle a nonexistent issue. And since those chraracters use Atziri's Acuity anyway, they dont care about mana multiplier either.

Chain needs two of following to change: its damage reduction, the number of times it chains, and/or the mana multiplier.

Chain serves the following issue - improve clearing speed for crazy-overgeared characters with insane damage. Its auto-targeting helps with desync, while less damage per hit avoids self-oneshots.

Sad, but true.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Oct 29, 2014, 10:02:08 AM
haven't used it, since it's effects are vague as hell, and understanding why you'd want to hit just 2 targets versus an lmp or a gmp is kind of wondering.

though, i am sure it has its features on some builds, i have played the past 2 months night and day, and never once was i saying to myself, DAMN I WISH I HAD THIS ONE GEM.
its because it stacks with lmp or gmp.
This support gem should read:
Chains +1 time
Chains twice as many times
60% less Damage at gem level 1
40% less Damage at gem level 21
(no "increased" Damage)

A level 26 Arc with Chain support would then chain 16 times, dealing 17 hits at 60% damage instead of 8 at full damage. So 27.5% more damage overall. Not a lot, but at least it wouldn't be a downgrade, and it would look very cool. :)
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 23, 2015, 8:27:02 PM
It seems pretty clear that nobody is willing to pay the hit to single target damage that multi targeting support gems like chain and fork impose. Of these sorts of gems, only Pierce and LMP/GMP see any use; LMP and GMP make targeting much easier (which helps even against single targets), and Pierce has no damage penalty.

To solve this, I think that the damage penalties of Fork and Chain should not apply to the initial targets of the skill. Mana multipliers and damage penalties/multipliers for subsequent targets can be adjusted to reflect the increase in utility.

Alternatively, Fork and Chain could be balanced by becoming a percentage chance proc on hit like Pierce, instead of imposing a damage penalty.

GGG seems to be committed to making sure that all options are 'interesting choices'. I think such an opportunity present itself here; the projectile support meta is pretty stale at the moment, and this could liven things up.
Quod efficax non stultum

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info