Chain

"
Strill wrote:

So if I link this to Ice Spear, will the newly chained projectile be the initial piercing shot, or the high crit shot? I certainly hope it's the high crit shot otherwise this gem would be worthless with it.

This I did test and am very certain on the results (but confirmation would still be great). If you hit with Ice Spear in its second form, it will chain, and it will chain in its first form, but it will morph into it's second form if it travels far enough. But that's not all.
Edit: Mark clarified later down:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Ice spear can never, chain without changing form. The first form always pierces, and thus never chains. If it chains from a monster, then it changed form before hitting that monster - but it may have done so just as it hit, and thus only just started the changing animation.

Ice spear's form change is triggered on distance from that spear's origin - in the case of chaining, each time it chains it has a new origin (the monster it chained from) so will start in the first form until it moves far enough from that monster.

On a separate note, I was looking at whether all not all projectiles from LMP bounce and it was ridiculously hard. Since monsters are often packed together even if all three chains, I can't see it. But after over half an hour at it, I am fairly certain that if the projectiles hit different monsters then they will chain. If they hit the same, I have no clue. This is the first time I have attempted to test anything, so take my findings with lots of salt. Anyone manage to get a difinitive result on this?
Last edited by Orphius on Nov 1, 2012, 8:40:05 PM
i just explained lmp with sparks.
Spoiler
if there are 4 foes and three are hit with the first three shots, then 3 others will take each of the splits not counting the first ones that were hit by the source of the split.

so monster a, b, c, and d are around. a, b, and c get hit by the lmp light arrows. the shot that hit a splits to b, c, and d; the shot that hit b splits to a, c, and d; the shot that hit c splits to a, b, and d.

hope that helps.

i expect the same but in a continuation of the pattern if chain was used, but in a sequence instead of branching. also from watching a friend use fork with lightning arrow, the forking happens before the splits. it was extremely hard to tell due to above two commenter's replies, mobs too close and graphics become extreme.

however in case of chaining, it can hit the original monster but only hits everything once per chaining. edit: forgot i read that chaining and forking are exclusive to each other =(
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Nov 1, 2012, 5:55:41 PM
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
i just explained lmp with sparks.
Spoiler
if there are 4 foes and three are hit with the first three shots, then 3 others will take each of the splits not counting the first ones that were hit by the source of the split.

so monster a, b, c, and d are around. a, b, and c get hit by the lmp light arrows. the shot that hit a splits to b, c, and d; the shot that hit b splits to a, c, and d; the shot that hit c splits to a, b, and d.

hope that helps.

So what happens if all three projectiles hits A? Are there nine chains from that or just three?
Last edited by Orphius on Nov 1, 2012, 6:06:04 PM
"
Orphius wrote:
So what happens if all three projectiles hits A? Are there nine chains from that or just three?
if all three first projectiles hit of light arrow, then the splits will hit other foes. if there are only 3 other foes, then they'll each be struck 3 times (once from each split). if there are less, then the extra splits get wasted, same for chaining except chaining can include original target as possible hits (but only once per chain).
i haven't seen light arrow + chain in-game to answer if the split happens first or the chain, it might not matter if i remember how piercing worked.
"
Orphius wrote:
"
Strill wrote:

So if I link this to Ice Spear, will the newly chained projectile be the initial piercing shot, or the high crit shot? I certainly hope it's the high crit shot otherwise this gem would be worthless with it.

This I did test and am very certain on the results (but confirmation would still be great). If you hit with Ice Spear in its second form, it will chain, and it will chain in its first form, but it will morph into it's second form if it travels far enough. But that's not all.
A--------------------------B
So let's say we hit enemy A with Ice Spear. It chains over to B, but does not change form. When it bounces back to A, it may change form despite the distances between the two being the same. That means each bounce does not seem to reset the total distance travelled.

On a separate note, I was looking at whether all not all projectiles from LMP bounce and it was ridiculously hard. Since monsters are often packed together even if all three chains, I can't see it. But after over half an hour at it, I am fairly certain that if the projectiles hit different monsters then they will chain. If they hit the same, I have no clue. This is the first time I have attempted to test anything, so take my findings with lots of salt. Anyone manage to get a difinitive result on this?
Sigh... disappointing. If Ice Spear chains and doesn't keep its second form it's in all likelihood not going to chain again because it pierces. Bleh. So many interesting combinations that don't work together.
Last edited by Strill on Nov 1, 2012, 7:03:43 PM
iam trying the whole day to buy one is it drop only or quest reward ?
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
"
Strill wrote:
Sigh... disappointing. If Ice Spear chains and doesn't keep its second form it's in all likelihood not going to chain again because it pierces. Bleh. So many interesting combinations that don't work together.

Huh? Maybe I'm reading you're post wrong, but in my testing, if always bounced three times like it said on the gem as long as it bounced the first time, So it hits A in its second form, and it will bounce to B, C and D even if it doesn't manage to shift into its second form. I actually found it's a rather nice combo with LMP to hit enemies further back, killing them quickly then letting it bounce forward into the pack in front of my witch. The extra distance travelled means higher chance of going into second form during the bounce. Not to mention it looks cool.
"
Orphius wrote:
"
Strill wrote:

Huh? Maybe I'm reading you're post wrong, but in my testing, if always bounced three times like it said on the gem as long as it bounced the first time, So it hits A in its second form, and it will bounce to B, C and D even if it doesn't manage to shift into its second form. I actually found it's a rather nice combo with LMP to hit enemies further back, killing them quickly then letting it bounce forward into the pack in front of my witch. The extra distance travelled means higher chance of going into second form during the bounce. Not to mention it looks cool.
I was told here that if a projectile pierces, it cannot chain or fork. So chained/forked Ice Spears lose their piercing even though they do not keep their crit bonus?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/54863/page/12#p692144
"
Strill wrote:
"
Orphius wrote:
"
Strill wrote:

I was told here that if a projectile pierces, it cannot chain or fork. So chained/forked Ice Spears lose their piercing even though they do not keep their crit bonus?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/54863/page/12#p692144

I saw that too, I just assumed once it began chaining the pierce was lost so that it'd keep chaining. I'm about to head in game in a couple of minutes and I'll see if it's just a visual bug ie. It keeps the crit bonus, but visually it stays in the first form or if it's meant to function in that manner or whatever.
Ice spear can never, chain without changing form. The first form always pierces, and thus never chains. If it chains from a monster, then it changed form before hitting that monster - but it may have done so just as it hit, and thus only just started the changing animation.

Ice spear's form change is triggered on distance from that spear's origin - in the case of chaining, each time it chains it has a new origin (the monster it chained from) so will start in the first form until it moves far enough from that monster.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info