Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Fire Penetration

"
Tom94 wrote:
Any possibility of this getting to link with Righteous Fire? I think it is very counter-intuitive, that it does not.
No. It fundamentally cannot work with RF or any other damage over time, because penetration is by it's very nature something that happens on-hit at the point in time the total damage is applied, which damage over time does not have.
does this support affect Searing Bond DPS?
"
Diablo3blows wrote:
does this support affect Searing Bond DPS?
no, searing does not "hit".
If using, say, Fireball linked with FP while wearing Infernal Mantle, does the damage conversion occur before or after resistances are applied?
Get laid, get paid, drink Gatorade.
Conversion happens attacker-side, Resistances are defender-side. FPen does not apply to Chaos Damage.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Conversion happens attacker-side, Resistances are defender-side. FPen does not apply to Chaos Damage.

That doesn't answer my question, though. Will the fire damage dealt be converted to chaos before or after resists?
Get laid, get paid, drink Gatorade.
It does. You deal Fire and Chaos Damage - FPen does not apply to Chaos Damage Dealt.

When you cast a Fireball, do you think its modifiers are checked when you cast it, or when it hits a monster and is already checking for modifiers on the monster? Think about Supports for a sec.

Spoiler
There's two steps to dealing Damage. First, the attacker determines its full Damage potential. This is done in the following order:
-Damage Based On
-Conversion
-Increased+Reduced Damage, More Damage, Less Damage
-Roll for Crit

It's then hurled towards whatever chump pulled the short end of the straw. They apply their modifiers:
-Damage variance
-Evasion (presumably Crit Confirm too)
-Dodge
-Block
-flat Damage reduction (probably non-existent on monsters)
-Armour/Resistances (waaay over here is where FPen does anything)
-Increased+Reduced Damage Taken, More Damage Taken, Less Damage Taken
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 2, 2014, 7:18:39 PM
I'm a little confused on the mechanics of lowering monster resists with fire pen. Lets go with a scenario here.

Monster has 125 fire resist. I use lvl 20 fire pen for -35% enemy resist on a fire trap. The monster is also cursed with elemental weakness lvl 20 and flammability for another -98% resists.

An earlier post mentioned that fire penetration ignored overcapped resists. Does that mean that the creature I hit would effectively have -58 fire resist or -8 fire resist.

If the latter, then if I'm using a single curse and have fire penetration (lets call the curse -50 fire res for the sake of the question) then there would be no point in using that curse on a creature with 125% fire resist?
fire pen, if alone, starts at the resistance cap of 75%.
fire pen, if added with curses, add up together for the total penalty the foes now have.

example, your -35% on a fire resistant foe but nothing else, means the foe has only 40% resistance when fire trap explodes (and only for that explosion).
however, if using the curses too, then its -35 + -98 = -133 to foe's resistance, or a -33% total resistance of foe.
"
gw_epyon wrote:
If the latter, then if I'm using a single curse and have fire penetration (lets call the curse -50 fire res for the sake of the question) then there would be no point in using that curse on a creature with 125% fire resist?

Correct. The Curse would 'lower' the monsters Resistance from 125% to 75%, which does nothing for you. Pen applies after the cap is checked, so it applies to the 75% value with or without the Curse.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info