Arc

One thing I'm also not sure on mechanically: Is it possible to apply 2 shock stacks if you both crit and have the chance to shock roll, or is it max 1 shock per hit? Cause that's a pretty cool part of the skill... if possible.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"

My suggestion regarding Chain doesn't make Arc "good", it makes Arc better.

The mana cost reduction makes it good.

Well, that is the biggest flaw to the skill, other than its apparant hatred of pots.

It just seems like a lot to get 2 more chains without a damage loss when any other skill takes both mana and damage hits. I admit, it would be cool and even help with trigger gem users who want to use chain... but it seems like a lot, is all. Even if the less damage were cut in half to be 25% less global and 25% projectile then that would be fair, if a little overcomplicated. But then what in this game isn't.

Otherwise, and disappointingly, I really think it just needs bread and butter changes. Mana costs lowered and maybe a 5% crit chance.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
Wooser69 wrote:
Otherwise, and disappointingly, I really think it just needs bread and butter changes. Mana costs lowered and maybe a 5% crit chance.

I agree. A noticable mana cost reduction, e.g. around 30% less, should have priority imo.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Making the seek range modifiable with Radius multipliers doesn't make Conc an attractive option btw. It's still not Area Damage, so you're only screwing your seek radius for no reason. Lightning Arrow already does this.

And really, if an AoE is unaffected by Conc, who gives a shit. Inc. AoE doesn't get you any Damage and would be incredibly situational - something you put in a six-link maybe but nothing else.

It's a nifty idea, but I fear it would accomplish approximately nothing.

--------
I also chuckled when you proposed using Chain, because it reduces Arc's damage potential; it's a really bad Support for Arc. Crits, on the other hand... *shrug*

"
Aimeryan wrote:
Agreed.

You look at my idea the wrong way.

I know Conc. Effect doesn't allow that kind of interaction as of now... but I'm not talking as if I were theoryzing it now; I'm doing it thinking that if they do touch internal mechanics of the skill, they could also make it work with AoE effects & mechanics. It's just like the idea of Aimeryan, more chaining/damage in behalf of a reduced chain radio, but in such a way that wouldn't affect Arc that much (because it wouldn't reduce the radio as from scratch, it would only improve the skill as a whole imo).

Another thing: I proposed using Chain in that theory build because I feel (my opinion, nothing else) that, being the only support that is really thought as a synergy to Arc, it must be used. Just a feeling. In this reggard you have to remember GMP, that also reduces 50% Dmg in Lvl. 1 but it's extremely useful nontheless. If I theorized that little build up there with only spell dmg. is because I feel that Arc should not be another Crit. spell; we have too much of that right now. I would really want to play an Arc build based only in pure raw power of the spell and not only in situational spikes; for that I have my Freezepulser.

In the other hand, I also do know that the synergy of Arc-Chain is screwed up as of right now, and would need a rework if they want it to be really doable in high-end. Less dmg. reduction for Chain and less mana cost on Arc would be really sweet, yes.
Last edited by SigmaBlack on Feb 25, 2014, 12:13:36 PM
"
SigmaBlack wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Making the seek range modifiable with Radius multipliers doesn't make Conc an attractive option btw. It's still not Area Damage, so you're only screwing your seek radius for no reason. Lightning Arrow already does this.

And really, if an AoE is unaffected by Conc, who gives a shit. Inc. AoE doesn't get you any Damage and would be incredibly situational - something you put in a six-link maybe but nothing else.

It's a nifty idea, but I fear it would accomplish approximately nothing.

--------
I also chuckled when you proposed using Chain, because it reduces Arc's damage potential; it's a really bad Support for Arc. Crits, on the other hand... *shrug*

"
Aimeryan wrote:
Agreed.

You look at my idea the wrong way.

I know Conc. Effect doesn't allow that kind of interaction as of now... but I'm not talking as if I were theoryzing it now; I'm doing it thinking that if they do touch internal mechanics of the skill, they could also make it work with AoE effects & mechanics. It's just like the idea of Aimeryan, more chaining/damage in behalf of a reduced chain radio, but in such a way that wouldn't affect Arc that much (because it wouldn't reduce the radio as from scratch, it would only improve the skill as a whole imo).

Another thing: I proposed using Chain in that theory build because I feel (my opinion, nothing else) that, being the only support that is really thought as a synergy to Arc, it must be used. Just a feeling. In this reggard you have to remember GMP, that also reduces 50% Dmg in Lvl. 1 but it's extremely useful nontheless. If I theorized that little build up there with only spell dmg. is because I feel that Arc should not be another Crit. spell; we have too much of that right now. I would really want to play an Arc build based only in pure raw power of the spell and not only in situational spikes; for that I have my Freezepulser.

In the other hand, I also do know that the synergy of Arc-Chain is screwed up as of right now, and would need a rework if they want it to be really doable in high-end. Less dmg. reduction for Chain and less mana cost on Arc would be really sweet, yes.

Ah, fair enough. I can see that working.

--

Most people here see the need for the mana cost to be lowered, which is something I agree with as well.

Crit chance being increased to the normal base value (5%) doesn't seem to be angering anyone, so that is perhaps another thing people agree with.

More chains is something I think everyone would like, but people have different ideas of how to do this.

Personally, I want more supports to work with Arc - variety is always good, and this game seems to be balanced around skills being supported strongly, which sadly Arc lacks.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Feb 25, 2014, 1:21:39 PM
"
SigmaBlack wrote:
Another thing: I proposed using Chain in that theory build because I feel (my opinion, nothing else) that, being the only support that is really thought as a synergy to Arc, it must be used. Just a feeling. In this reggard you have to remember GMP, that also reduces 50% Dmg in Lvl. 1 but it's extremely useful nontheless.

GMP/LMP are not comparable to how Arc+Chain interacts.

Arc by default hits three targets for 100% Damage -> 3 * 100 = 300% effective Damage
GMP laughs at you for linking it.
Chain adds two hits, and reduces Damage by 50% -> (3+2) * 100/2 = 250% effective Damage

Ice Spear naturally fires one Spear at 100% Damage -> 1 * 100 = 100% effective Damage
GMP adds four Spears, and reduces Damage by 50% -> (1+4) * 100/2 = 250% effective Damage
Chain adds two hits, and reduces Damage by 50% -> (1+2) * 100/2 = 150% effective Damage

GMP is useful because it increases spread and Damage potential (unless you already fire 4+ Projectiles). For single-Projectile Skills, Chain also increases Damage potential.
Arc actually deals less total Damage when you add Chain.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 25, 2014, 3:17:26 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
SigmaBlack wrote:
Another thing: I proposed using Chain in that theory build because I feel (my opinion, nothing else) that, being the only support that is really thought as a synergy to Arc, it must be used. Just a feeling. In this reggard you have to remember GMP, that also reduces 50% Dmg in Lvl. 1 but it's extremely useful nontheless.

GMP/LMP are not comparable to how Arc+Chain interacts.

Arc by default hits three targets for 100% Damage -> 3 * 100 = 300% effective Damage
GMP laughs at you for linking it.
Chain adds two hits, and reduces Damage by 50% -> (3+2) * 100/2 = 250% effective Damage

Ice Spear naturally fires one Spear at 100% Damage -> 1 * 100 = 100% effective Damage
GMP adds four Spears, and reduces Damage by 50% -> (1+4) * 100/2 = 250% effective Damage
Chain adds two hits, and reduces Damage by 50% -> (1+2) * 100/2 = 150% effective Damage

GMP is useful because it increases spread and Damage potential (unless you already fire 4+ Projectiles). For single-Projectile Skills, Chain also increases Damage potential.

Just to carry on this line of analysis, if we allowed GMP to support;

Using Arc's overall damage as 100%:

Arc -> 3 * 1/3 = 1 = 100%
Arc w/ Chain -> (3+2) * 1/6 = 5/6 = 83.33% (2 d.p.)
Arc w/ GMP w/o additional projectile chaining -> (3+4) * 1/6 = 7/6 = 116.67% (2 d.p.)
Arc w/ GMP w/ additional projectile chaining -> (5*3) * 1/6 = 15/6 = 250%

So, 1/6 (or 16.67%) more damage if each of GMP's additional projectiles can not chain (a pretty small amount, but at least it wouldn't do less damage like Chain), or 9/6 (or 150%) more damage if they can chain (the same as Ice Spear's).

Further interest would be GMP shotgun, but of course there would be no chaining at all (not even on the non-gmp projectile, as such):

Arc no-chaining -> 1 * 1/3 = 1/3 = 33.33% (2 d.p.)
Arc w/ GMP shotgun -> 5 * 1/6 = 5/6 = 83.33% (2 d.p.)

Or, using 100% base-line:

Arc no-chaining -> 1 * 1 = 1 = 100%
Arc w/ GMP shotgun -> 5 * 1/2 = 5/2 = 250%

So, 150% more damage from single target, as you would expect, although it is only 83.33% of just a normal Arc's overall damage on multiple targets.

TL;DR version: GMP with Arc with each projectile chaining (not just Arc's original projectile) would have the same relative dps increase as any other spell-GMP combo, hence balanced? Arc itself could then be compared on a more like-for-like basis as Ricky was doing a few pages back.

On the other hand, Charan finds this boring.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Feb 25, 2014, 5:34:13 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:

Sorry Viper, but I disagree. Chain & GMP would provide an equal damage increase for both skills linked. Your own numbers show it:

"
Vipermagi wrote:

"
Vipermagi wrote:

The thing in here would be that projectiles could shotgun the mob given the situation, when the chaining would not be able to. In that situation, any Projectile+GMP would be far better than Arc+Chain. But as far as 'total damage' goes, they do the same amount.

Aimeryan, I know I quoted GMP for a comparission, but never meant for it to be an option for Arc xD I just brought up the first support that crossed my mind that had -50% Dmg.

Charan.. Why!? WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME!? I had faith in you! You were like a brother to me! ;____; (something like Obi-Wan in Star Wars III) Arc should be raw power, not spike damage! ;____;
"
SigmaBlack wrote:
Sorry Viper, but I disagree. Chain & GMP would provide an equal damage increase for both skills linked. Your own numbers show it:
"
Vipermagi wrote:

"
Vipermagi wrote:

The thing in here would be that projectiles could shotgun the mob given the situation, when the chaining would not be able to.

Either you hit one dude 5 times, or 5 dudes once. Same shit, 50 * 100 = 250% effective Damage. Pay attention, class.

Unmodified Chain already hits three times, for 300% effective Damage. Adding Chain reduces it to 250%. Unmodified Ice Spear hits for 100% effective Damage. Adding GMP increases it to 250%.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 25, 2014, 8:02:17 PM
- If you meant to say that Arc+Chain would do less damage than any Projectile+GMP (because that's what I understood), I tried to correct it because they would have an equal total damage bonus.

- If you only meant that Arc+Chain would do less damage than Arc alone (without comparing it with the other skill), then I apologize because I answered thinking the above mentioned.

Just one thing though: please, there is no need to be rude and say "sh*t" every sentence :)
Last edited by SigmaBlack on Feb 25, 2014, 9:10:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info