Mortal Conviction - Another Look

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

In terms of pure solo, I think the best we can do is preventing the BM support gem from being too functionally similar to BM keystone; give the two some kind of difference despite the obviously similar intent.
IMHO I think BM gem should only affect non-auras.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
Autocthon wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
In terms of pure solo, I think the best we can do is preventing the BM support gem from being too functionally similar to BM keystone; give the two some kind of difference despite the obviously similar intent.
I'd prefer what I suggested earlier: 220% flat cost multiplier, 70-89% conversion. Thus a 60% aura with max-level BM and RM supports would reserve 83% life and 10% mana (before "reduced" modifiers), rather than just being mana-free.

Don't hate on Shavronne's too hard. ;)
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Dec 30, 2013, 3:05:01 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I'd prefer what I suggested earlier: 220% flat cost multiplier, 70-89% conversion. Thus a 60% aura with max-level BM and RM supports would reserve 83% life and 10% mana (before "reduced" modifiers), rather than just being mana-free.

Don't hate on Shavronne's too hard. ;)

I really do not like your suggest, for one thing, it completely changes the identity of the gem, and two, it requires to use two resources which is unheard of. Honestly, if mana regeneration was not that horrendous, I would not mind using mana and freeing a socket for more DPS. I do have a couple of builds running with mana, and even with a good amount of mana investment, and clarity involved, I am still not even close to being able to spam skills. Mana is completely inferior when it comes to mana regeneration. Sure, I can go EB, but if I barely have any ES, then EB would not help much.

Ever since the aura change, 3 auras is the new 5 auras for those that do not heavily invest in aura builds. Even with the addition of MC, 3 auras is still suicide for BM build simply because you are giving up life. Just the notion of giving up life is an horrendous idea. You are putting yourself much closer to death.

I never found Blood Magic keystone attractive before and after the change. It is still horrible keystone. I would only use it mid-game, when mana cost becomes a bit too much for melee character in the west region of the tree, specifically Marauder and Duelist, and it is still not necessary to add auras to your build.

I would not have an issue using the BM keystone, if it had massive life buff in the keystone itself. Let say I got 5k HP, and BM buff me up to 8.5k HP, I can now finally reserve up to 40% of my HP (5100/8500), and I will be in a similar situation or better than those that use BM gems.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 30, 2013, 3:30:13 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The problem is balancing the lack of auras with other benefits. Lacking auras has a significant effect on solo play but means diddly squat in organized group play; thus, by its nature, BM-keystone builds will always be weak(er) solo and strong(er) in group. This is something BM-keystone critics need to understand.

The reason why people are making a fuss out of this is that we want to make BM more viable for solo-play. Changing how a support gem functions is out of the question at this point. (When have we ever seen GGG go back on a major balance decision?) Currently, auras and BM don't coexist - I've tried it and so have many before me. You simply don't have reasonable access to RMR passives or high enough numbers to make it work.

"
Islidox wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Allowing BM to convert mana to life would be too OP, in combination with Eldritch Battery. Rare Vaal Regalias would become super-Kaom's.
I'm not sure if you're referring to my suggestion, which was to convert the base mana your character comes with and gets as it levels to life, and only that. Mana mods/passives wouldn't affect it in any way. But yes, straight conversion of mana to life is a bad idea and horribly unbalanced.
That type of conversion doesn't exist. Converting mana to life means all forms of mana, and all mana-effecting bonuses.[/quote]

I wouldn't know how to code it, but it could be possible... maybe?

On a separate note, I don't understand how Shavs or PG plays into this - you can't use those items on a BM-keystone build - you'd kill yourself. If this is referring to the relocation of the MC notable, then no, I'm highly against moving it. In turn, it begs the question if MC is really needed in light of the current aura situation. Hell, I'd rather turn MC into a 2% life regen notable than have MC remain. Or simply a 1.2x life multiplier like the Infused notable and call it a day.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Dec 30, 2013, 3:48:23 PM
I agree, the simplest change would be to make MC a [12% more life] node.
FiftyShadesOfBlade
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
Ludak021 wrote:
I think they will be reluctant to make a big change about MC even if it makes no sense for them not to do it. Here is why:
Big chunk of the game is balanced around shavrones, soul taker and lvl 95+. Very small chunk of players can afford this. Very big chunk of players is screwed over this.
I just cannot fathom that they didn't know what are they doing when they were making shavs. It is obvious, use life for auras and RF + PA, use mana for more auras. If they were fine with it, why all this aura changes? Shavs can still run 5+ auras easy, not much changed for them, it's just the "poor" folk that got hit...again. (Personally, I don't care about auras too much, lie someone said before, one is needed per map/boss, rest is just a bonus, but still, I liked when my shadow was running discipline, wrath, hatred and grace, but that is a wet dream now for CI that is not lvl 90+ and doesn't have shavs)

A big chunk of the game? Like what?

Aura costs for one, and that's just because of Shav's. Adding another occultist vestment unique to troll etc, I am sure you yourself can think of many more. :)

"

that would be troll of the year change :D I can only imagine the rage of shav's owners :)
"Path of Exile be a online Action RPG set up in tha dark fantasy ghetto of Wraeclast. Well shiiiit..."
- Uzicorn, for teh children.
Last edited by Ludak021 on Jan 1, 2014, 11:40:33 AM
Except for the thing that they can easily use PG to run 3 Auras of Life.
"
Islidox wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The problem is balancing the lack of auras with other benefits. Lacking auras has a significant effect on solo play but means diddly squat in organized group play; thus, by its nature, BM-keystone builds will always be weak(er) solo and strong(er) in group. This is something BM-keystone critics need to understand.

The reason why people are making a fuss out of this is that we want to make BM more viable for solo-play.
The thing here is that you need to understand the drawback; it's essentially "you have trouble casting auras yourself but benefit just as easily from those of party members." Making that more solo viable is a noble endeavour but it will ALWAYS be stronger in group. It's like saying "let's make the Conduit keystone more viable for solo play"... perhaps it's possible (what if Minions could share your charges?) but it will always, always be stronger in group play and thus OP if balanced for solo, thus will always, always be underpowered solo.

I think what we really need is an alternative to Mortal Conviction to allow for true Aura-free play. It wouldn't have to be tied directly to the BM keystone, just available. For example, imagine if this keystone existed somewhere near the center of the tree:
Sever the Tie
You cannot be Cursed
You do not receive Buffs from Auras
That would be a very popular combo with Blood Magic keystone, useful in endgame maps, balanced, and overall improve the game.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 1, 2014, 2:40:45 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The thing here is that you need to understand the drawback; it's essentially "you have trouble casting auras yourself but benefit just as easily from those of party members." Making that more solo viable is a noble endeavour but it will ALWAYS be stronger in group. It's like saying "let's make the Conduit keystone more viable for solo play"... perhaps it's possible (what if Minions could share your charges?) but it will always, always be stronger in group play and thus OP if balanced for solo, thus will always, always be underpowered solo.

I think what we really need is an alternative to Mortal Conviction to allow for true Aura-free play.

If that was the intended drawback, then why make the MC notable at all? Clearly it was intended for some sort of aura usage. I think your assumption is erroneous in this case. Using Conduit as an example doesn't work because the flavor text clearly states how this keystone will interact with your character and others. Conduit explicitly states that it benefits teamplay. Sure, BM may not explicitly state that it's only good for teamplay due to the inability to use auras, but then what's the point of having MC behind BM?

Also, this "benefits from auras" concept does not only apply to BM-users. Players will use other auras that will benefit others and vice versa. Sure, BM users can mooch off of their teammates, but not because it's intended but that they have no choice.

This comes back to the issue that most people agree that you either make BM/MC better to the point where it can support an aura (or two), OR you cut the connection with auras and drastically increase the defensive options BM-users can get, mainly an increase in life or life regen/leech. Currently BM sits in this bastardized state that prevents it from being truly effective. This is more than just auras, this is also a case for making BM itself stronger.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Jan 1, 2014, 5:22:35 PM
"
Islidox wrote:
If that was the intended drawback, then why make the MC notable at all? Clearly it was intended for some sort of aura usage. I think your assumption is erroneous in this case. Using Conduit as an example doesn't work because the flavor text clearly states how this keystone will interact with your character and others. Conduit explicitly states that it benefits teamplay. Sure, BM may not explicitly state that it's only good for teamplay due to the inability to use auras, but then what's the point of having MC behind BM?
The better question is "why not?" MC doesn't really make Auras attractive for most BM users, but it doesn't hurt anything and does make things more tolerable for those who damn the torpedoes and go Auras anyway. You're expecting the notable to completely nullify a drawback, while I'm only expecting partial.
"
Islidox wrote:
This comes back to the issue that most people agree that you either make BM/MC better to the point where it can support an aura (or two), OR you cut the connection with auras and drastically increase the defensive options BM-users can get, mainly an increase in life or life regen/leech.
They get that increase in focus naturally, since mana, mana leech, and mana regen become irrelevant. And wouldn't immunity to Curses be a "drastic increase in defense?" I believe it would be, and would also be a unique niche.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info