Mortal Conviction - Another Look

Its a bit long yes, but is it really a problem when people want clarity of game mechanics? It could be reduced to the following, while still being clear:

"The first aura you activate reserves 90% less life. The second aura you activate reserves 70% less life. For every following aura you activate, the less life reserved factor is diminished by a flat 20%."
Last edited by Baelrog on Jan 14, 2014, 8:15:05 AM
"
Malice wrote:
I disagree, neither are too long.

If you are too lazy to read a short description like that, then you obviously don't care or don't want to know what a skill does. It's not like the descriptions are getting in the way of anything.

It is not being lazy, it is about being concise. This is a game, not a novel, not a thesis, not even a report, but a game. The only place that make sense to have long-winded texts are lores, but that is to be expected. Though, it depends where you live if they really care about being concise or not.

I was taught from uni, specifically technical writing to be concise to avoid redundancy, and possibility of losing the interest from the audience if the text happens to be long and overwhelming. Even in my programming courses, I was taught that the GUI need to be "keep it simple stupid" not to overwhelm the user. Again, this depends of your are upbringing and nationality. You have to be considerate of everyone.

Mortal Conviction
"The first aura you activate reserves 90% less life. For every other following aura you activate, life reserved factor is diminished by a flat 20%."

Made it more concise, but can still be better.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jan 14, 2014, 11:23:29 AM
Yes, I have had a similar course, and I know the second sentence is redundant in principle. However, this is a relative complex game and I have noticed that a lot of players have difficulties interpreting the exact mechanics from the description. So, I just kept it in for the purpose of clarity. This way someone might think that activating a second aura would also affect the reservation factor of the first. But hey, the skill doesn't even work like this, so never-mind the wording :P
You know what's really short? "50% less Reservation Cost." Hard to beat four-ish words.

The mistake here is assuming Mortal Conviction should be for every BMK character. It most emphatically should not.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
You know what's really short? "50% less Reservation Cost." Hard to beat four-ish words.

The mistake here is assuming Mortal Conviction should be for every BMK character. It most emphatically should not.

What changed your mind from 40% to 50%?
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

What changed your mind from 40% to 50%?
Remembering the old addage that slightly OP is fun, and fun is good. 50% would make some very specific Shavronne's-powered BMK builds able to stack more Auras than non-BMK builds... but at 40% they stack the same amount so there is zero motivation to make the build at all. It's okay to allow a build which hyper-specializes with a crazy passive tree to actually be better at its focus; 40% is too conservative.

I'm still against 60% (or higher).
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 14, 2014, 8:24:26 PM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Malice wrote:
I disagree, neither are too long.

If you are too lazy to read a short description like that, then you obviously don't care or don't want to know what a skill does. It's not like the descriptions are getting in the way of anything.

It is not being lazy, it is about being concise. This is a game, not a novel, not a thesis, not even a report, but a game. The only place that make sense to have long-winded texts are lores, but that is to be expected. Though, it depends where you live if they really care about being concise or not.

I was taught from uni, specifically technical writing to be concise to avoid redundancy, and possibility of losing the interest from the audience if the text happens to be long and overwhelming. Even in my programming courses, I was taught that the GUI need to be "keep it simple stupid" not to overwhelm the user. Again, this depends of your are upbringing and nationality. You have to be considerate of everyone.

Mortal Conviction
"The first aura you activate reserves 90% less life. For every other following aura you activate, life reserved factor is diminished by a flat 20%."

Made it more concise, but can still be better.

Being concise: fine
Avoiding redundancy: great
Keeping it simple: good

Rejecting a mechanic based solely on the length of the description, when having a long description doesn't negatively impact anything: illogical
"
Malice wrote:

Being concise: fine
Avoiding redundancy: great
Keeping it simple: good

Rejecting a mechanic based solely on the length of the description, when having a long description doesn't negatively impact anything: illogical

It is actually more illogical if you consider it to be the only reason one would be rejecting a mechanic that way.

Point Blank
"Projectiles Attacks deal up to 50% more Damage at close range. Deals less damage as targets travel further"

Made it a bit more concise.

In reality, the mechanic is based on how far the projectile travels to reach the target, but the projectile is dependent on the target, so the target is the indicator (since that is where the projectile will stop, and depending where it stops, the equation will be factored to the your DPS accordingly) whether the projectile has hit in close, mid, or long range.

This can be refuted, but honestly, what is the main purpose of using an arrow for, to see how pointy it is, or used to kill mobs?

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jan 15, 2014, 1:39:29 AM
Hey guys,

I would like to bring up this topic once again, since DEVS Carl and Rory have recently been talking about this keystone on the "Path of Exile Podcast" and stated there, that it potentially will get changed...

Blood Magic and Mortal Conviction recieved a lot of hate from the community, because most poeple think it is a very bad cluster on the tree and can only be abused with "Low Life Characters / Shavrons Wrappings". Let me try to change your mind a little bit about it:

Even if the communtiy is going to hate me for this, but i actually think the keystone, in it's current form is perfectly fine.
Why?
On the other side it is a very unique keystone yo can do a lots of cool builds with and because it is build enabling for any kind of hybrid build. Many people are not aware yet of the potential of this keystone at all.

Currently i think this cluster can be used for 3 different kind of builds:

1) Low Life / Blood Magic Aura Builds:
Obviously and already wll done be the community. 10+ Auras, Shavrons Wrappings builds with Power Siphon/Spectral Throw. These builds are very powerfull but also really expansive so that <1% of people can pull it of.

2)Life / Melee builds with Heralds
Heralds with BM/MC cost very little life to reserve for great effect. You don't even have to pick any aura reservation nodes on the tree but you can take Inner Force + Athleticism for great synergy.

3) Hybrid builds
Yes exactly! Hybrid builds with mortal conviction are pretty decent and quiet strong, even without using a Shav's/Solaris Lorica. It is a little bit complicated to work around, like all hybrid builds, but it is paying of greatly. You also may take Zealot's Oath, which is actually usefull in such a build

Just think about the possibiltys:
Hybrid Summoner/Hybrid Totem with BM/MC, 6-7 Auras on life with 33% of life pool left + high ES. Shavrons Revelation for ES Regen and Vaal Discipline.

Hybrid Melee/Ranged Attack character, 4 Auras on life with 50% life left + decent ES. Ghost Reaver for ES leech and Life Gain on Hit gem for sustaining life. You basically double your effective life pool.

Hybrid Spellcasters are also possible and strong. very expensive spells can be cast easily on BM. You can also do a 50%/50% life ES setup here and have the possibilty to go low life endgame when you find a Shavs/Solaris Lorica. You use life leech for sustaining your life pool and for example use Shavrons Revelation ring or max block Aegis Aurora for ES regen.

I hope i provided a little bit of insight on this keystone with me thoughts and the build examples i have given (some of which i have seen in game by friends, some of them done by my own in previous leagues).

The only thing i would suggest to get changed is the postion of this keystone to make it more available. I would like it to be more in the center of the tree (anywhere near vaal pact) or further above in the templar area of the tree - this would also fit the theme of the keystone more i feel.
Last edited by Wiesl_1404 on Oct 27, 2014, 4:20:39 AM
"
Wiesl_1404 wrote:

Currently i think this cluster can be used for 3 different kind of builds:

1) Low Life / Blood Magic Aura Builds:
Obviously and already wll done be the community. 10+ Auras, Shavrons Wrappings builds with Power Siphon/Spectral Throw. These builds are very powerfull but also really expansive so that <1% of people can pull it of.

2)Life / Melee builds with Heralds
Heralds with BM/MC cost very little life to reserve for great effect. You don't even have to pick any aura reservation nodes on the tree but you can take Inner Force + Athleticism for great synergy.

3) Hybrid builds
Yes exactly! Hybrid builds with mortal conviction are pretty decent and quiet strong, even without using a Shav's/Solaris Lorica. It is a little bit complicated to work around, like all hybrid builds, but it is paying of greatly. You also may take Zealot's Oath, which is actually usefull in such a build

Just think about the possibiltys:
Hybrid Summoner/Hybrid Totem with BM/MC, 6-7 Auras on life with 33% of life pool left + high ES. Shavrons Revelation for ES Regen and Vaal Discipline.

Hybrid Melee/Ranged Attack character, 4 Auras on life with 50% life left + decent ES. Ghost Reaver for ES leech and Life Gain on Hit gem for sustaining life. You basically double your effective life pool.

Hybrid Spellcasters are also possible and strong. very expensive spells can be cast easily on BM. You can also do a 50%/50% life ES setup here and have the possibilty to go low life endgame when you find a Shavs/Solaris Lorica. You use life leech for sustaining your life pool and for example use Shavrons Revelation ring or max block Aegis Aurora for ES regen.

1) the only way to use it.
2) why the hell you would pick blood magic to use heralds.. It's just plain stupid.
3) it's fucking the same as 1). How can you think its different

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info