[1.1.0] Spectral Melter (Spectral Throw Crit Shadow )

Progress update!

I am now level 50 in Invasion with this build. I made pretty significant changes to the tree to make it HC viable, I stole the base of this from K_Rot_T's post and then made further changes. So far I am absolutely facerolling absolutely everything, completely self found except for my Mightflay which I bought for 1c (got lucky and found a Crest of Perandus but would be fine without it). I only skip the snake boss that replicates itself because it takes forever to kill, all other bosses I kill quite easily with kiting.

I am running only Hatred for an aura for now as I have no need of Clarity with the Mind Drinker passive and I am tanky without Grace. I take very little damage from anything simply because I am so mobile. Whirling Blades is amazing.

Current Gear
IGN: Dmillz
I'm currently lvl 65, doing this build with slight modifications, not too many though as this is my first character and I don't have enough experience to alter it properly.

What bothers me a lot is that in act3 I die almost all the time just while killing white mobs (especially blackguards/imperial gardens), having maxed out elemental resistances, 2k hp, 25% damage reduction and 1300dps on normal attack. Every time I open a strongbox (ambush league), I already know I'm dead, using whirling blades is totally ineffective as I always get rooted in place because of desync, every boss fight (act end/corrupted area) is always the same: set up a portal + do some damage + die x20+.

All those stuff got my quite fed up with the build and I'm not sure if it's me doing something wrong or is it supposed to be like that. Can anyone provide me with some help/explanations/suggestion?
Last edited by Slowacki on Mar 26, 2014, 7:51:39 PM
"
Slowacki wrote:
I'm currently lvl 65, doing this build with slight modifications, not too many though as this is my first character and I don't have enough experience to alter it properly.

What bothers me a lot is that in act3 I die almost all the time just while killing white mobs (especially blackguards/imperial gardens), having maxed out elemental resistances, 2k hp, 25% damage reduction and 1300dps on normal attack. Every time I open a strongbox (ambush league), I already know I'm dead, using whirling blades is totally ineffective as I always get rooted in place because of desync, every boss fight (act end/corrupted area) is always the same: set up a portal + do some damage + die x20+.

All those stuff got my quite fed up with the build and I'm not sure if it's me doing something wrong or is it supposed to be like that. Can anyone provide me with some help/explanations/suggestion?

Your HP is about 1000 too low for your level. Are you using curses and enduring cry? Decoy totem? You should be using Enfeeble or Temporal Chains and always have endurance charges up. Are you using a Life Leech/Life Gain on Hit gem?

I'm not sure why you are desyncing so much, I whirling blades everywhere and almost never desync, and when I do its a quick /oos and I'm fine again. This is definitely not a simple build to play, it uses a lot of good movement and positioning to avoid damage since it doesn't take a lot of defence.

Edit: Just saw this is your very first character, that partly explains it. It's hard to give tips without seeing you play, but you should always be moving. Against most packs I curse/enduring cry, spectral throw 1-2 times, whirling blades back, refresh enduring cry, attack 1-2 times. Rinse and repeat until dead (usually only a couple volleys). I don't have time right now but I'll reply with more stuff later!
Last edited by Dmillz on Mar 27, 2014, 2:37:01 PM
"
Dmillz wrote:

Your HP is about 1000 too low for your level. Are you using curses and enduring cry? Decoy totem? You should be using Enfeeble or Temporal Chains and always have endurance charges up. Are you using a Life Leech/Life Gain on Hit gem?

I'm not sure why you are desyncing so much, I whirling blades everywhere and almost never desync, and when I do its a quick /oos and I'm fine again. This is definitely not a simple build to play, it uses a lot of good movement and positioning to avoid damage since it doesn't take a lot of defence.

Edit: Just saw this is your very first character, that partly explains it. It's hard to give tips without seeing you play, but you should always be moving. Against most packs I curse/enduring cry, spectral throw 1-2 times, whirling blades back, refresh enduring cry, attack 1-2 times. Rinse and repeat until dead (usually only a couple volleys). I don't have time right now but I'll reply with more stuff later!

Hey, great thanks for the answer.

As for curses, I only use crit weakness as in the build. I've got life leech gem on spectral throw (together with lesser multiple projectiles and power charge on critical) + 10 life on hit on my Mightflay. So the only charges I have are power charges.

I don't know either, but it's really unplayable sometimes, I don't even need to use whirling blades. Often I just walk back and spam 1-2 ST and suddenly I'm standing in the middle of a group of mobs which wear me down in a second. Same goes for chargins foes (Rhoas, blackguard elites, ribbons), their charge misses me, but I get stunned anyway, because apparently my character was standing in its' way as seen by the server.

My tactics is usually pretty much like yours (apart from the fact I don't use enduring cry), I spam ST when it is safe, if not, I try to spam a few times and move back so that the mobs can't get me. Unless there are casters (revivers or high range), then I usually use whirling blades to get to them and then quickly kill them with double strike (multistrike + faster attacks).

I was thinking, can the desyncs be caused by choppy gameplay in terms of fps? I might have a little too high graphical settings for my laptop and the fps sometimes fluctuates between 10~ - 50~.
Could you link a CI version of the passive tree?
1H+Shield High Block&Spell Block Tank: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/868995
Ice Crash Crit Staff AKA "The Shaterring Karui": https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1289037
Tanky Block+AR+EV Ranger Crit Reave Dagger/Claw: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1301888
"
Slowacki wrote:
Hey, great thanks for the answer.

As for curses, I only use crit weakness as in the build. I've got life leech gem on spectral throw (together with lesser multiple projectiles and power charge on critical) + 10 life on hit on my Mightflay. So the only charges I have are power charges.

I don't know either, but it's really unplayable sometimes, I don't even need to use whirling blades. Often I just walk back and spam 1-2 ST and suddenly I'm standing in the middle of a group of mobs which wear me down in a second. Same goes for chargins foes (Rhoas, blackguard elites, ribbons), their charge misses me, but I get stunned anyway, because apparently my character was standing in its' way as seen by the server.

My tactics is usually pretty much like yours (apart from the fact I don't use enduring cry), I spam ST when it is safe, if not, I try to spam a few times and move back so that the mobs can't get me. Unless there are casters (revivers or high range), then I usually use whirling blades to get to them and then quickly kill them with double strike (multistrike + faster attacks).

I was thinking, can the desyncs be caused by choppy gameplay in terms of fps? I might have a little too high graphical settings for my laptop and the fps sometimes fluctuates between 10~ - 50~.
If you are dying you definitely want a Temp Chain/enfeeble. If you haven't dont it yet, the Library quest in Normal gives Temp Chains as a quest reward, If you have then you can buy one of them for 1 alc. Enduring cry you can also get for 1 alc or less, definitely buy this. Also you will want to be replacing your Mightflay at that point as soon as you can, it's really only meant to help you level up and once you hit 55+ you want to be looking to replace it with a better dagger. Lastly here is a link to my currently projected final build: http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgYABH4FfQW1BfkOSBGWFfAWvxi9GYoajx4aIuoj9iQ8JpUnqSgqKaUrbyzhLYMvbzBUMgE6WElRSn1OKlVLVupW9Vb6WkhabVuvYeJh62KsY0NnoG17cFJwVnC7elN9dX3jfll_xoIehxmHdofbiEKMNo6KkBuXBpfQmVeaE5smnZado52qo4qmf6c0p1ysZrGzshmyRLTFtUi5PrvjwFHBxcSizerPetN-1QDWndh22RPbC9tu29TdDd7244TnVOd06NbtQe4O73rv8PPq9tr7Cfyr_MX-uv-T. It is quite a bit tankier than the original, just try to start picking up a bunch of those HP nodes whenever you are close.

That is weird that you desync so much. All I can think to suggest is try to fight away from solid objects like chests/doorways when possible. Always keep /oos copied to your clipboard so you can paste it whenever you feel like you are desyncing. The FPS doesn't help and if it lags it could be part of the cause for sure. Are you on the lowest settings you can put it? If so you can follow the instructions here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/177500 to drop them below "Medium" which is the lowest you can put them in-game.
Last edited by Dmillz on Mar 28, 2014, 11:13:01 AM
"
Slowacki wrote:
Often I just walk back and spam 1-2 ST and suddenly I'm standing in the middle of a group of mobs which wear me down in a second.

Use the shift key, Luke.

But yeah... seems like you desync more than you should. I have more or less the same setup as you, and I'm doing just fine. Only real problem has been (desyncing) corrupted bosses.
"
K_Rot_T wrote:

"Physical Projectile Attack Damage" vs "Increased Critical Damage"

Another thing that bugs me is the use of "Increased Critical Damage" as Support Gem. As far as I know "increased Damage"-Modifier only stack additively. That means it only increases our Base Damage but not all the "increased Damage" we already got form the Skilltree.

If we change that gem for "Physical Projectile Attack Damage" we get a "more Damage"-Modifier, which stacks "multiplicatively". In other words it boosts our Base Damage and also our INCREASED DAMAGE.

Math:
Spoiler
Increased Critical Damage lvl 20 provides 109% increased Damage from our BASE DAMAGE.
Physical Projectile Attack Damage lvl 20 provides 49% more Damage and 10% less attackspeed. 1.49*0.9 results in around 34.1% more damage. So all we need is around 56% increased Damage (1.341*1.56~2.1) on our gear and passive (which is an absolute joke) to do more damage with Physical Projectile Attack Damage.

Conclusion: Take "Physical Projectile Attack Damage" over "Increased Critical Damage". The only exception being you got huge amounts of elemental damage (like HUGE).

Again thanks for the great build idea and the nice thread, I hope my advice helps.

K_Rot_T
I think you did your math incorrectly. I was looking at Crit Multiplier yesterday and it is incredibly strong for scaling damage. I ran a bunch calculations using rough damage numbers and Increased Critical Damage beat Physical Projectile Attack Damage in every single one (assuming a high crit chance = 50%+. This is easily do-able late game).

Maths
Base numbers:
50% crit chance
1.5 multiplier vs 3.135 mult (1.5 * 2.09)

PPAD: 500dmg @ 1.5aps base: (745*1.75) * 1.45 = 1890
ICD: 500dmg @ 1.5aps base: (500*2.5675) * 1.5 = 1925

PPAD: 500dmg @ 2aps base: (745*1.75) * 1.8 = 2347
ICD: 500dmg @ 2aps base: (500*2.5675) * 2 = 2567

PPAD: 1000dmg @ 1aps base: (1490*1.75) * 0.9 = 2346
ICD: 1000dmg @ 1aps base: (1000*2.5675) * 1 = 2567

PPAD: 1000dmg @ 1.5aps base: (1490*1.75) * 1.45 = 3781
ICD: 1000dmg @ 1.5aps base: (1000*2.5675) * 1.5 = 3851

PPAD: 1000dmg @ 2aps base: (1490*1.75) * 1.8 = 4693
ICD: 1000dmg @ 2aps base: (1000*2.5675) * 2 = 5135

PPAD: 2000dmg @ 1.5aps base: (2980*1.75) * 1.45 = 7562
ICD: 2000dmg @ 1.5aps base: (2000*2.5675) * 1.5 = 7702

PPAD: 2000dmg @ 2aps base: (2980*1.75) * 1.8 = 9387
ICD: 2000dmg @ 2aps base: (2000*2.5675) * 2 = 10720
As you can see the more damage you do without either of the support gems, the better crit damage does compared to physical projectile. Until you have 45+% crit chance, PPAD is definitely the way to go, but late game, ICD starts beating it pretty hard.
"
Dmillz wrote:
If you are dying you definitely want a Temp Chain/enfeeble. If you haven't dont it yet, the Library quest in Normal gives Temp Chains as a quest reward, If you have then you can buy one of them for 1 alc. Enduring cry you can also get for 1 alc or less, definitely buy this. Also you will want to be replacing your Mightflay at that point as soon as you can, it's really only meant to help you level up and once you hit 55+ you want to be looking to replace it with a better dagger. Lastly here is a link to my currently projected final build: http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgYABH4FfQW1BfkOSBGWFfAWvxi9GYoajx4aIuoj9iQ8JpUnqSgqKaUrbyzhLYMvbzBUMgE6WElRSn1OKlVLVupW9Vb6WkhabVuvYeJh62KsY0NnoG17cFJwVnC7elN9dX3jfll_xoIehxmHdofbiEKMNo6KkBuXBpfQmVeaE5smnZado52qo4qmf6c0p1ysZrGzshmyRLTFtUi5PrvjwFHBxcSizerPetN-1QDWndh22RPbC9tu29TdDd7244TnVOd06NbtQe4O73rv8PPq9tr7Cfyr_MX-uv-T. It is quite a bit tankier than the original, just try to start picking up a bunch of those HP nodes whenever you are close.

That is weird that you desync so much. All I can think to suggest is try to fight away from solid objects like chests/doorways when possible. Always keep /oos copied to your clipboard so you can paste it whenever you feel like you are desyncing. The FPS doesn't help and if it lags it could be part of the cause for sure. Are you on the lowest settings you can put it? If so you can follow the instructions here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/177500 to drop them below "Medium" which is the lowest you can put them in-game.

Hey, Great thanks for your advice once again. I invested in endurying cry and molten shell and now my survivability is actually not that bad. I still get my ass whooped by most of the rogue exiles (and jumping mobs - hate them), but I can pretty much clear 66-68 lvl maps on lvl 70 without too much effort and dying even once.

I was on custom "medium" settings in terms of graphics, now I've lowered them to the max and I definitely desync less. Still happens when I open strongboxes or during other times when there are lots of mobs and skills going on but it's a step in the right direction for sure.

You've put much more enjoyability in the game for me and I owe you for that, for sure :)
"
Slowacki wrote:
Hey, Great thanks for your advice once again. I invested in endurying cry and molten shell and now my survivability is actually not that bad. I still get my ass whooped by most of the rogue exiles (and jumping mobs - hate them), but I can pretty much clear 66-68 lvl maps on lvl 70 without too much effort and dying even once.

I was on custom "medium" settings in terms of graphics, now I've lowered them to the max and I definitely desync less. Still happens when I open strongboxes or during other times when there are lots of mobs and skills going on but it's a step in the right direction for sure.

You've put much more enjoyability in the game for me and I owe you for that, for sure :)
Glad to help! One last thing that makes a world of difference is a totem. Decoy or Spell + Summon Skeletons are very good for ranged builds.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info