Cast when Stunned

As a lowlife I used to get stunlocked alot and just died there without being able to do anything. Now I run cast when stunned + lightninwarp and its amazing, now when im stunlocked i just automatically teleport to different place and continue offensive.
IGN: Reoxy
I have it linked like this

but when i get stunned, some times only EC come off, some times only IC comes off, temp chains hasnt casted yet. is it suppose to be like this?
SPorkTots
Well yes. EC has a 49% Chance to Cast and IC has a 49% Chance to Cast. How else would it work.

As for the TC: does the Skillbar tooltip show CwS is linked?
temp chains on tooltip shows it's linked, it seems like it does cast.

edit, i gave this gem a chance but honestly it's pretty bad.

should be changed to 49% chance to cast ALL supported gems, or else what's this good for
SPorkTots
Last edited by B_L_3_E_D on Oct 9, 2014, 7:30:43 PM
I have tested this thing extensively with my HP-based high block/spell block character. There are two huge disadvantages compared to CwDT, firstly, if you have both Enduring Cry and Imnmortal Call in the same link, Enduring cry proc is not at all guaranteed, and you can have like 0.4s IC because of that. But that's not the biggest deal. The biggest deal (2nd disadvantage): if you proc two IC in a row, first one will be completely gone even if it was full duration IC (5s). This is really, really dangerous, because this time your Enduring Cry is on cooldown. I've had several close calls because of this, not knowing about this mechanic at the time. Oh well, I tried giving this gem a chance, but CwDT is better.
IGN: somewittynamehere
So I made Cast When Stunned the basis of an entire character: it is alarmingly viable.

Build
Gear
Spoiler
(Rainbowstride is a placeholder at this point: I don't need the spell block from them anymore, but they still offer decent res, ES and movespeed, so I'll wear them until something better comes along.)

Built like a low-life spellcaster, most of her sockets are dedicated to 8 different damage spells linked to a Cast When Stunned gem and a Life Leech gem. She has a 78% block rate for both spells and attacks, and both Vaal Pact and Ghost Reaver.

Her only serious weakness (now that she has Shavronne's to protect against chaos damage) is Damage over Time effects that don't require a hit... poison clouds, that fire aura thing some of the miscreations have, Dominus' "Freezing Bond" totems, etc. Virtually everything else melts while the spells she fires automatically heal her again.

One interesting observation I've made that requires more testing: the "cooldown" on this gem doesn't seem to work as advertized. It appears that stuns which occur during this cooldown DO trigger their relevant spells but those spells are put on "hold" until after the cooldown is done, firing off as soon as they're able (even if you are dead).

So in other words:

At second .00 the first stun occurs, triggering at least one spell. The cooldown begins

.00: Stun Occurs, Spell A is triggered, Spell A is cast, .25 second cooldown begins.
.10: Stun Occurs, Spell B is triggered (but cannot cast)
.20: Stun Occurs, Spell C is triggered (but cannot cast)
.25: Cooldown ends, Spell B is cast, .25 second cooldown begins
.50: Cooldown ends, Spell C is cast, .25 second cooldown begins
.75: Cooldown ends

The only extensive testing I've been able to do was a short session in the PvP arena with an "incinerate" caster, one who could reliably stun me quickly enough to develop a sizable "queue" of spells. As expected, even after she stopped firing at me, the pent-up spells continued to cast themselves. This would even occur after I had been killed. Interested if anyone could come up with a better testing procedure for this and/or get some confirmation from the devs that this is indeed how this works.
Last edited by Damon_Tor on Oct 27, 2014, 7:59:59 PM
Supports do literally nothing; it's not CwS going on cooldown, but the actual triggered Skills. This ocurs on a per-Skill basis: Fireball triggers -> all Fireball Gems go on cooldown. Everything else is unaffected because it's not Fireball.

What you're seeing is probably either Stuns being absorbed by ES (which still trigger CwS), or Cast time. Far as I have been able to tell, triggered Skills still go through their activation time, at least to some extent.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Supports do literally nothing; it's not CwS going on cooldown, but the actual triggered Skills. This ocurs on a per-Skill basis: Fireball triggers -> all Fireball Gems go on cooldown. Everything else is unaffected because it's not Fireball.

What you're seeing is probably either Stuns being absorbed by ES (which still trigger CwS), or Cast time. Far as I have been able to tell, triggered Skills still go through their activation time, at least to some extent.

I don't think you understand the length of the queue I was able to build up during testing: the spells would continue to cast for several seconds after I had died. This wasn't a slight delay, nor was it a single instance of slightly late casting, this was multiple spells casting themselves repeatedly long after I was even CAPABLE of taking damage.

As I noted, I'm willing to do more testing under better controlled conditions, but for right now the "queue" hypothesis seems to be the best explanation.
i think i understand, but i never survived a situation that would test effectively (low hp for stun ability with massive regen + leech). so while there's a stored up order of activation it won't fully apply to actual gameplay unless someone is making one weird build (i think i saw a few people making cast on stun/cast on damage builds again).
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
it won't fully apply to actual gameplay unless someone is making one weird build (i think i saw a few people making cast on stun/cast on damage builds again).

My character has <1000 hp at level 79 but 4500 ES, with Vaal Pact and Ghost Reaver. All her Cast when Stunned spells are also supported by Life Leech gems. That small HP pool ensures that she gets stunned extremely frequently, for most enemies around 50% of the time (which is sadly as frequently as you can be stunned as long as you have any ES)

On a related note, I'd be thrilled if there were a way to opt out of the stun protection offered by energy shield. "Energy Shield does not protect you from stun" would be a great modifier for a unique item or even as a part of a keystone passive skill. Just tossing that idea out there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info