Cast on Crit

Why is cast on crit in the state it is? It has no downside and is superior to selfcast in 95% of cases.
When attackers are the better casters because you can scale weapon crit and attackspeed better than castspeed you know something is wrong!
Give it a "supported spells deal less damage" and it would still be stronger than selfcast.
Not to mention it BLOWS in party play and you're not able to see shit, resulting in surprise deaths from bearers and other mods.
Here's a fix suggestion:

Currently CoC at lvl 1 (38) has 50% proc up to 70% at lvl 20.

1) Roll the lvl req back to 31, this gem should be used to start act 4, not end it.

2) This is the most important change:
A buffed proc chance at lvl 1 with spell dmg penalty (less/reduced),
and respectfully have a lower proc chance towards lvl 20 with buffed (increased/more) spell dmg.

If a build wants to maintain effectiveness later on, they must invest in crit nodes/gear.
Sure, not leveling the gem will make a high lvl crit build proc spells all the time, but with such low spell dmg that it's not effective at all.

So you have to level the gem up if you want some dmg for linked spells,
and also invest in crit nodes/gear.

This will also allow players to start using CoC faster, get used to it, enjoy it earlier in the game instead of waiting till 60-70.

I don't have any spreadsheets and can't drop any numbers here that would make any sense balance wise,
but the tl;dr point is this:

High proc chance at start, maybe even 100% but with heavily reduced spell dmg,
and as you lvl the gem up the proc chance drops a lot,
maybe to 30 or 40% but with a heavily buffed spell dmg effect.

"Im smartest. Your stoped. Dael wiht it."
Last edited by Quantume on May 18, 2016, 5:58:24 AM
[Delete]
Last edited by Gott_Ist_Tot on Jun 2, 2017, 7:23:25 PM
Cast on crit is uniquely tied with discharge when players think of path of exile. Perhaps it is used abusively with other set ups, but it still is a SIGNATURE skill for this game and a huge number of players love it. Please do not destroy this combination with any poorly thought through 'nerf' that you believe is necessary for the gem, it would be a massive mistake and the height of naivety to destroy something that is so explicitly unique to this game.

My understanding is that GGG desperately wants to nerf it because it is over played just like incinerate was, however this time you would be destroying one of the epitomes of sophisticated interactions that has come through the amazing skill tree and unique items that have been developed.

TL;DR please think before you act. This is a skill that is strongly unique to this game that you are nerfing.

... If you destroy it, at least I gave you my 2 cents ...
"
RichardFox wrote:
one of the epitomes of sophisticated interactions

attack + thing that ties attacks to spells + spell is very sophisticated yep totes
It also happens to be incredibly poisonous to game design.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It also happens to be incredibly poisonous to game design.

My argument is that it is a unique attribute to this game that doesn't appear in any other game, it's one of the few things that bring this game to a different tier amongst its competition.

For what reason do you say that it is poisonous to game design?
GGG couldn't just make Fireball's AoE bigger because it would buff Cast on Crit builds, while only hardcasters really needed the AoE bonus. Instead, they've added a Jewel as a roundabout solution, a Jewel that only works in one-third of the passive tree.

Spells have to be designed around Cast on Crit. Either it needs to have some functionality that doesn't benefit from Cast on Crit enough (non-stacking Damage such as Essence Drain), or just not work at all (Wither). Can't just make a bigger fireball because Cast on Crit is better at casting than an actual fucking caster. Definitely some healthy-lookin' game design there.

Also, triggers really aren't that unique; Median XL is all about that stuff, for example. It also kinda suffered from the prevalence of procs; being based on Diablo II, Median XL ran into the problem of procs triggering procs. At least BrotherLaz didn't give the ability to spam-cast the strongest nuke in the game twenty times per second, while limiting hardcasters to maybe four per second at the same time.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 26, 2016, 11:29:10 PM
"
RichardFox wrote:
with discharge

To clear up a slight misunderstanding, my point was about its use with discharge. I don't have any experience with using it in other set ups so I can't say anything for those situations (you have lots more experience); so I concede that your argument is probably true there and it may need to be changed in that area.

Perhaps, a new skill that is a discharge-like attack without using CoC could solve this issue. I had a look at Median XL and it seems similar I guess.
RIP CoC as of 2.4.0 =/
studying for GGG's C++ technical exam...
Last edited by ログよし on Aug 30, 2016, 11:11:34 PM
Excellent. Now the Attack needs to carry some weight too. It's a Support, not a Main Schtick.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info